MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaioshade

kaioshade Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but this has been driving me insane for weeks now.

I have version 6.6.0 of RTSS, but whenever i have it enabled, my fps drops to 23 fps, no matter the game im playing. If a game is borderless windowed, tabbing out i can see the fps go back to 60 fps (my limit set), but giving the game focus again drops the fps back to 23 fps again. if i exit rtss the framerate is fine. I have tried every single combination of detection, 3d override, etc i can think of.I really like to monitor and cap my framerates, but this pretty much makes rtss unusable for me.

2. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    "If you can get RivaTuner to NOT hook into the lower subsystems, then it'll work. Bringing up Steam is a red herring. It doesn't use OS-level hooks like RivaTuner.

So please have the RivaTuner people fix their program so it's doesn't interfere with OBS."

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No need to bring that incompetent nonsense here please.

4. xixou

xixou Guest

GPU:
    inno3d 1070 3x (4)
    And BTW, while synthesis is running and place an route done for the chip,
    the max temp is 125C or 150C to have a stable system at clock speed X, so plenty of margin for the 93C ^^
    In the past, the titan x maxwell thottled a lot at 93C (2D clock speed, minimum voltage).

5. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Deus Ex MD and afterburner crahsing to desktop

Anyone getting Deus Ex Mankind Divided crashing in DX12 mode when Afterburner is running? DX11 mode is fine however. This is the error I get:

"?ui_text_pc_only_d3d_deivce_problems " " (0x887A002B : UNKNOWN) "

Using Afterburner ver 4.30.

6. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    I want to ask- is there going to be a proper overclocking support for 1080TI in AFB?
    I have tried the suggested workaround, but my EVGA refuses to be properly recognized.
    No even small overvolting is possible.

I might be called a dumbass not to be able to edit that database but still: when is the new version of AFB due ? Thanks .

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The topic for RivaTuner 6.7.0 (7.0.0 now.) now also includes Afterburner 4.4.0 which among other things adds support for the 1080Ti GPU model.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5409390#post5409390

It's a beta though so you might want to wait for the official release as in non-beta version of Afterburner 4.4.0 and RivaTuner 7.0.0 before you switch to this new version. :)
    (Current Afterburner 4.4.0 is at beta 5 and RivaTuner Statistics Server 7.0.0 at beta 9)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  8. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Fixed Deus Ex

Afterburner 4.40 fixed my Deus Ex MD overlay desktop crash issue. Works as before. Got my vote.

9. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Thanks, will give it a try...

10. PoppaGray

PoppaGray Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GE Force GTX 770M
    AB SDK technical question on the mutex name

I have a question for Unwinder. I am using the AB SDK and have everything working great, except I cannot acquire a handle on the SDK Sample Program Mutex name, "global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory". Is that still the correct Mutex name? The error I get is that no file or handle with that name exists. I am testing my SDK program on Windows 8.1. Everything else works fine. I can map and read the shared memory no problem and can update flags etc and AB accepts the changes, but I am using a mutex that I create and own which of course will not work for the purpose of synchronization with AB that is needed. Thanks for your time to suggest how I shoudl proceed. --- PoppaGray.

11. Unwinder

Yes, this mutex name is still in use. The mutex is created dynamically and exists only during accessing shared memory. So you should use the same pattern: dynamically create the mutex and wait for it, then release and close it when you finish accessing the memory. To verify that such synchronization pattern works, you may try to edit MACMSharedMemorySample from SDK and modify it the following way for example. Find CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg::pollCommand, which is used for waiting for submitted command completion once you apply new settings:

Code:
    DWORD CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg::PollCommand()
    {
    	HANDLE hMutex	= CreateMutex(NULL, FALSE, "Global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory");
    	if (hMutex)
    		WaitForSingleObject(hMutex, INFINITE);

DWORD dwCommand = 0xFFFFFFFF;

if (m_pMapAddr)
    	{
    		LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER	lpHeader = (LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER)m_pMapAddr;

if (lpHeader->dwSignature == 'MACM')
    			dwCommand = lpHeader->dwCommand;
    	}

if (hMutex)
    	{
    		ReleaseMutex(hMutex);
    		CloseHandle(hMutex);
    	}

return dwCommand;
    }

Then try to add some artificial wait to it, e.g. make it beep once per second in infinite loop until you hold <Ctrl> pressed:

Code:
    DWORD CMACMSharedMemorySampleDlg::PollCommand()
    {
    	HANDLE hMutex	= CreateMutex(NULL, FALSE, "Global\\Access_MACMSharedMemory");
    	if (hMutex)
    		WaitForSingleObject(hMutex, INFINITE);

[COLOR="Red"]	while (GetAsyncKeyState(VK_CONTROL) >= 0)
    	{
    		MessageBeep(0);

Sleep(1000);
    	}
    [/COLOR]
    	DWORD dwCommand = 0xFFFFFFFF;

if (m_pMapAddr)
    	{
    		LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER	lpHeader = (LPMACM_SHARED_MEMORY_HEADER)m_pMapAddr;

if (lpHeader->dwSignature == 'MACM')
    			dwCommand = lpHeader->dwCommand;
    	}

if (hMutex)
    	{
    		ReleaseMutex(hMutex);
    		CloseHandle(hMutex);
    	}

return dwCommand;
    }

Then launch MSI AB, launch this modified SDK sample and see what's happening. Once you press "Apply" in you modified SDK sample, it will start beeping and waiting for you to press <Ctrl> inside the code covered by synchronization mutex, MSI Afterburner process (which is also waiting for the same mutex) will become frozen. MSI AB will unfroze once you press and hold <Ctrl> pressed in your sample application.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. PoppaGray

PoppaGray Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GE Force GTX 770M
    Cannot create the mutex with the given nam

Hi Alexey. Thank you very much for posting a detailed reply in short order. Unforunately, my problem is that I cannot actually create or open a mutex with the given name. For some reason on Windows 8.1, I receive the following error no matter how I try to creaate or get a handle on the mutex.

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. "

OOPS! I have solved my own problem. :) Of course the double backslash in C++ and C# represents a single backslash. For my sins, my Son is doing a project in VB.Net and asked for my help. Not so familiar now with VB.Net, which does NOT have the same escape characters as in C## and C++. A single quote is what is intended and that actually works fine now in my program! Many thanks for your time and your response did indeed lead me in the correct direction.

Cheers! PoppaGray.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    A feature suggestion:

Would it be possible to add "FreeSync" and "G-Sync" status to the OSD? (So that it's easier to tell if freesync/gsync is currently active.) Preferably this could be added to the same line as the FPS indicator. So when disabled, it just shows as normal:

100FPS, 10ms

But when enabled:

(G-Sync) 100FPS, 10ms

Or something like that.

14. Unwinder

Congrats, glad that you've got it working. And thanks for interesting question, it is really rare thing here.

15. Unwinder

There is no easy way to get real status of it.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's a bummer.

If you have access to nvidia's and/or amd's beta lists though, you could drop a feature request there for nvidia to include this in nvapi (or amd's equivalent.)

17. nixon

nixon Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    What is the file location for the settings of how afterburner is configured? I'm trying to troubleshoot what might cause the recording and prerecord to stop responding after alt tabbing and tabbing back in. The overlay display hotkey still seems to work and the application doesn't appear to be crashing, just all forms of recording stop functioning. So I'd like to try resetting everything.

If this is the wrong place to ask please direct me to the correct thread or subforum.

18. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I would like to ask, if it was possible to add a functionality to MSI AB.

When the info dialog is open and you look at the detected 3D apps, it would be nice, if there was a button or something to exclude the selected/clicked app in RTSS. Or to say, to create an app profile with detection level set to none, just with one click.

That way on could exclude false apps faster and with more ease.

Would be great,
    Andy

19. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    For RTSS application profiles, it would be nice if there was a way to have a per-setting "inherit" value that would make the value be inherited from the Global profile. Currently you have to delete and recreate the game profile to get the changed values from Global. (Or go thru the trouble of manually making the same adjustments to each game profile.)

20. Unwinder

AB is not the best place for such feature, but it can be quite useful for RTSS itself.
    I'll add keyboard shortcuts for <Add profile> button in RTSS to simplify this process. Holding <Ctrl> while clicking <Add profile> in RTSS will add profiles for all currently running 3D applications instead of browsing for profile executable. Holding <Ctrl> + <Alt> while clicking <Add profile> in RTSS will do the same and additionally set application detection level to "none" for all created profiles, i.e. effectively add all currently running 3D processes to exclusions list.

Edit:

I used slightly different approach, it is available in RTSS 7.0.0 beta 14 now:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5411995&postcount=215

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.