Depression, can't sleep.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by signex, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No because you know it's all in your head :)

Stop checking your pulse, docs have already given your heart the all clear

2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    1st thing would be to get a job to take your mind off things.

Even looking for a job is likely to take your mind off things in the interim.

3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    You have a bike ?
    I tend to overthink and depression kicks in like VTEC, so i can't sleep.
    But when i ride my bike, my mind goes blank and i feel very relax and after riding 30-40KM trust me you sleep like a baby.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    That was before i got the new medicine, i did get all the symptoms of a heartrate that is to slow.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea but you know you got panic attacks about your heart racing or slowing / dying etc anyway before this new medication

Sounds like your mental health condition is looking for things to constantly worry about your heart because of, a form of OCD or something similar maybe, hence the constant pulse checking

A habit you need to break somehow or you're gonna end up in a dark place where everything around you is going to kill you one way or another

Personally I'd be looking at what most here have suggested, drop the meds and start with the exercise, cut out the caffeine and fatty foods, eat healthy

No exercise, bad diet, caffeine at night & meds = not good

Meds won't fix a bad lifestyle

Sounds harsh but I was doing it to myself too, difficult to get out of but great once you do

50bpm isn't bad, my Dad is 59 and his heartrate is in the 50s too, healthy guy

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    At least i made big progress, i was a complete disaster couple months ago and the meds helped big time.
    I know i'm not keeping the meds, but this was kinda a emergency cause i didn't get any good sleep for days and it made me worse.

One time i slept fine for 2 weeks in my own bed, until it suddenly came back in full force.

You know i used to be a extremely healthy skinny f*ck lol, i was always outside playing as a kid and teenager.
    I did soccer and went into the forest all the time to play with friends(playing soldiers with wooden guns)

Gaming is what made me like this, when i got my first PC in 1999 i was hooked lol.
    Still went outside and play until 2004 when World of Warcraft came out, i quit soccer and skipping classes to go home and play WoW.

I never had the motivation to exercise, i didn't care for my look yea i'm thick but i'm not a whale or anything.
    But now i got these issues, it made me realize i need to do something about it.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was the same, probably what has kept me alive tbh, I was constantly outside running about, riding my bike, in permanent cardio probably up to my mid 20s, then for whatever reason I stopped doing anything at all, sat about getting p1ssed and eating crap for ages, put on a load of beef and became a shell of my former outgoing self, went from needing to be around people 24/7 to not wanting to see anyone at all, or even go outside

Docs prescribed meds, tried all that crap for years without any improvements, but turns out it was my lifestyle, requires a mindset change, even if by force kicking and screaming at first until you accept it, until mental health improves as does physical fitness and things start dropping back into place, you start remembering who you really are under all that crap you've piled on over the years sitting about abusing your body and mind

The younger you is still there, just a case of breaking bad habits and starting good ones until he reappears

EDIT - This is my current progress over the past year, just walking and lifting on alternate days, nothing major

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I have a bike yea, but not a good one where i can sit on for a long period of time.

I'm even scared to use it to go anywhere, i do go to my doctor with the bike but it's merely a 1km ride.
    Even after a short ride, my heart goes nuts and beating through my chest.

Last night it went bad again, after 45min of sleeping i suddenly woke up and my heart was beating through my chest.
    I called a doctor last night about my feeling that my heart goes really slow and they said not to take metroprolol before i go to bed but that triggered this i'm sure cause a other doctor last year prescribed me metroprolol cause of this.

I guess i have to deal with the slow heart rate feeling, rather then waking up middle of the night with a panic attack.
    Could very well be in my head i don't know, after i slept in the morning till afternoon my heart was also slow/normal rate but i didn't felt slow or heavy.

I really don't know if i get any better, it really feels that way.
    Had such good night sleeps the 2 days before and now it's falling apart again. :(

9. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Cycling is the best thing that happen in my life, thanks to that i lost 35KG ... from 100KG to 65KG, keep in mind i'm 1.71M tall. I was a fu***ing Gas bottle:wanker:
    If you feel that your heart rate is too high or you find it hard to breathe when you are riding. Probably you are Breathing wrong !.
    You have to do deep "belly breathing" like a baby every 4s o 5s, that is the best way to improve your performance, also "belly breathing" helps you to relax (google it).
    If you aren't used to ride long distances just keep the rhythm slow (not sure if the correct word) util you get used.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I used to ride all the time 6-7km back and forth 4 times a week to work last year.
    For some reason i didn't lose weight much, maybe 10kg cause i used to weigh 118kg and i'm 106kg now.

Maybe it was the energy drinks and pizza's i take for time to time but i've quit that for few months now.

I know of the belly breathing, i do that when i feel my heart is raising does work most of the time.
    But sometimes my heart rate won't go down, then i have to take the metroprolol to keep it calm.(It also makes the heart not needing too much oxygen so breathing gets easier as well.)

After my last episode, i quit walking cause depression is taking over again, it's like i'm in a endless cycle.

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    That's incredible, yea the motivation just lacks cause of how bad i am in shape.
    Even short walks makes my heart unconformable and then i panic and walk back.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

If you're badly out of shape then your heart is going to race when you first start exercising, same with riding your bike, perfectly normal and not dangerous at all, the fitter you get the less your heart will race or need to work as hard

At 100kg+ I was out of breath walking up the stairs some days, now I'm walking miles and miles and totally fine

Catch 22 by not continuing with exercise because your heart races, the less you do > the more unfit you get > the harder your heart has to work

Battle through the uncomfortable feeling for a few weeks, it'll settle down, go for regular checkups and tell the doc the exercise you're doing, make a diary of your heart rate before and after exercise, let the doc check your results and they'll let you know if it's anything to worry about or just normal heart rate

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yea i need to get a watch that keeps track of my heart rate during walks.

I'll try to do my best and continue to walk everyday.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Honestly, a couple miles a day and look after your diet and you'll start seeing results within weeks

The human body wants to be a certain size that it can maintain without a fight, the only way to change that size is to force it, either by overeating and not exercising, or by lifting things too heavy for it and eating a lot, forcing it to adapt

If you live a normal healthy life it will settle itself into a size it is happy to maintain without a struggle

In other words, if you start eating right, and having a normal amount of exercise, your body will do the rest itself

Obviously it takes longer to lose weight than to gain it, but forget about that, it's one of those "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" sort of things

Just stick to your diet and exercise and let your body do the rest itself

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Well today was weird, i slept good but again 5 hours of sleep i guess it's the new meds.
    I'm taking less metroprolol as well, only when my heart rate raises and only half.

My heart rate was normal throughout the whole day, even while walking, i did feel it on my chest but at a normal pace like 60-70bpm and this was the first time in months that it didn't go nuts.

One time it pounded hard, through my chest up to my head it felt very weird but it's probably nothing.
    Happened when i stood up from my chair.

Glad i went for a walk today, felt good too. :)

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Good good :)

Standing up can often do that as your blood pressure suddenly drops so your heart has to compensate, same as bending down to pick something up off the floor and quickly standing back up, feel like you're gonna pass out for a few seconds

Yea it does make you feel better in yourself knowing you've done something healthy and good for you that day, eventually it gets to the point that you feel bad and guilty if you don't do at least one healthy thing each day, I hate it if I have a day without doing something now

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    My heart seems to be improving big time last couple of days, i don't feel my heart through my chest during the day when i walk.

I slept 8-9 hours the last 3 days, i woke up early today but that was probably cause i had to pee so badly lol but i fell asleep again within minutes.

Also walking 2 times a day now, if i keep this up i'll be in better shape in no time. :)
    Then i have to find best way to lose weight.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Walking twice a day for say 30-60 mins will lose you plenty of weight if you have your diet in check :)

Sounds like things are taking a turn for the better though, stay positive, and without a doubt the more walking and weight losing you do, the better in yourself you're gonna feel every day too, and I'd put a bet on your heart worries disappearing once you're getting back in shape and not flooding your body with unhealthy junk food :)

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    My diet isn't getting better though, still eating chips for time to time, small bags though.

We eat fried food once a week on sunday, mostly it's just vegetables or pasta and a pizza from time to time, maybe once a month.

I feel like a different person now, maybe the meds are working already i don't know it did start after a week using citalopram.
    I'm taking 10mg now instead of 5mg and i don't have any side effects so i'm really glad about that.

Have an appointment next week with my doctor and see if he ups the doses or not.
    Cause i heard you need to build it up, 10>20>40mg.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm using pickwick tea for sleep/relaxing does work a little.

Though it makes me pee a ALOT, i woke up middle of the night and i felt like exploding lol.

Been sleeping withing minutes cause of oxazepam, i used to fall asleep after 45/60min most of my life.
    Makes you incredibly sleepy when it starts to kick in, i take half if i just want the relaxing feeling of it when i start to panic or get scared.