Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    lol. i recently saw an article about one of Barker's former male lover is suing him because he is accusing Barker of transmitting HIV to him. i didn't even know Barker was gay.... lol

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Prometheous (2012)

[​IMG]

Rating: 2/10

What a letdown.

Movie is horribly paced, with only about five minutes of anything actually happening in the film with the rest of the time as a filler. There is absolutely ZERO tension in this film.

Plot is completely broken and screwed up, with holes that you can drive two of the Engineers spaceships through. Did I mention predictable yet?

And for a horror film it is remarkably devoid of any horror elements.

The cast looks quite bored most of the time during the film, with some of them not even bothering to attempt to act and just literally filling in a spot in the roster without wanting to be there.

There aren't any Aliens in this film; the five second scene doesn't count.

Don't waste your money on this trash, save your money for real sci-fi (like Moon).

3. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I really enjoyed Prometheus. Incredible visuals aside it was an interesting movie and leaves a lot of questions yet to be answered.

The implication of the movie is ultimately that we have done something to turn our creators against us and that this occurred about 2000 years ago. The movie is filled with religious and mythical symbology and implies that jesus was sent here by them, and because of what we did to him our creators have lost faith in our planet and were in the process of preparing to destroy us when everything went horribly wrong on the base where the movie is set. I would love the sequel to go more indepth into how the engineers seed a bunch of planets, monitor them and depending on how the planet evolves they are put to different uses. Some big picture answers would be great.
    Based on all this if there is a sequel which I'm sure there will be, how they approach the above, or whatever other explanation they have will ultimately make or break the story.

As a standalone film though don't go in expecting a horror, because it isn't. It certainly isn't without it's flaws either, however I do believe it is definitely a worthwhile watch especially at the cinema. Stunning cinematography and special effects make it more than worthwhile and if they nail the story going forward I think it will be a great addition to the Alien world.

I watched another movie over the weekend, Warrior. The story of 2 brothers who for various reasons end up fighting in a large MMA competition. There is definitely more to this movie than just fighting, it is the story of their past, their family and the circumstances which have led to their current predicaments, 1 financially ruined school teacher and 1 emotionally ruined ex-marine.

You don't have to like MMA to watch this. It is a very good movie even without the fighting. However, this has some of the best "sport fighting" I've ever seen in a film. Incredibly real, brutal fighting with a final scene which brought both me and my partner to tears.

Highly recommended.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Prometheus

Just came back from watching it, and here's my take. As a standalone this movie is garbage. Put the plot holes aside, and what we have is a movie that isn't in its own universe, it's so tied to Alien, and Aliens that without having seen those you won't understand or get a good portion of the film. Overall it had excellent visuals, great plot ideas (poorly excuted), but left a lot of unanswered questions (although I also think they did it on purpose).

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The Raid : Redemption Movie.

Watched this last night and I have to say it was bloody great. If you like martial art films then this one is definitely for you. Its subtitled, some people dont like that.

Here a clip from one of my favourite scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FIBkS64jeE

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Was pretty good... up until that two on one fight scene that just carried on too long and became ridiculous.

7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I heard the Hollywood version of this movie is coming. I hope it wouldn't end up like The Ring. The original version (Japanese) is way better and scarier than the Hollywood one

8. Austyn

Austyn Guest

this guys review on imdb made me laugh

Sand Sharks IMDB

9. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Word is that it is the first of 3 parts. Still not and excuse for not being able to stand up on its own two feet. I had hoped for much better from it.

6/10

10. ccheergirl

ccheergirl Guest

GPU:
    n/a
    I like Shutter Island. It's creepy and weird but full of surprises.

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I'm very ashamed to say; as someone who bought the entire aliens franchise on VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray...

and also as someone who dismissed critics of Prometheus as being casual movie goers who were just disappointed because it wasn't Michael Bay-esque

That Promethius is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

So many plotholes and nonsensicle B.S

As people above said, even if it is a trilogy, the movies can't even stand up on it's own even as a portion of a longer movie ( if you collate the coming trilogy ).

They ruined the intrigue of the Space Jockeys ( Engineers ) and basically made a clone of Alien albeit told much more poorly, with bland characters, poor acting, poor story and no suspense.

This was a 14million dollar mid day movie. D grade sci-fi.

Also the religious undertones were very overdone. Basically Ridley Scott originally had in the movie that Jesus was a Space Jockey and that his murder was the reason why they were going to kill the human race 2000 years ago....

Seriously, the greatest sci-fi horror franchise is now about Space Jockey Jesus and an intergalactic missionary scientist chick?

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    The Haunting Of Whaley House

pretty good movie actually, i wasn't expecting anything special since almost all horror/slashers these days are plain crap, this one was very decent.

"based on true events"... take it with a grain of salt of course lol

[​IMG]

8/10

i watched this movie years ago, didn't like it even though the actors were some of the big ones like Sean Penn etc. the movie bored me to death. :banana:

now that's a classic movie!

"because she got a GREAT aaaaaaaaaaa$$$$.. and ye got your head..all the way up it!".

Al Pacino ftw. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw-xYOCjd9g&feature=related

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Dark Knight Rises - 2012
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/
    [​IMG]

Great movie, but not an amazing one, but might need to watch it again when its out on BluRay so i can watch it when its not a weekday and it doesn't finish until after 1am.

Good points would be the action which at times is stunning and the best i have ever saw in a movie, and unlike most action movies i don't end up bored and waiting for the dialogue to start back up.

Anne Hathaway is surprisingly good as Catwoman, she does most things right and looks great when it comes to the action stuff.
    Michelle Pfeiffer is still hotter though.

IMAX shooting, video and audio wise is just something special, the sense of depth these cameras produce is fantastic, and its not just the huge IMAX size screen that is responsible, even on BluRay Dark Knight and other 70mm movies have this and it makes things so much more enjoyable.
    It's also great to see a movie where CGI is only used when there is no other option, i love CG effects but not when they are used to save time/money.

Negatives would be the running time, especially certain scenes which seemed to drag, Bane dialogue which is hard to understand due to the excessive reverb and a Hans Zimmer score which feels shallow without James Newton Howard, not that it's a bad score though.

Overall not perfect and while i have certain issues with how Nolan has treated the Batman movies, i don't believe anyone else could of done a better job with the trilogy.

8/10

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Pure brilliance all around.

EVERYONE gave their best in Snatch!

18. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    Some of my favorites: Bad Santa, Goodfellas, and of course Godfather..there is good documentary on about how they made it which I am going to go watch.. right.. now.. buhbye

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    [​IMG]

Really enjioyed this movie. if your a fan of these type of movies its a must watch imo.
    lots of blood and cool fights!

20. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    I want to see everyone's reaction after watching Old Boy.