Logitech X-540 Speakers, Can I Use For My TV?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Mulsiphix, May 9, 2017.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Why I'm Here
    I've recently invested a great deal into having fun at the TV. I'd like to upgrade the sound, which is abysmal on the TV and with my decade old budget speakers. But it needs to double as a home theatre setup. I already have an extra set of these in the house in great condition. I just bought some new guitars for learning with Rocksmith. So I need to somehow be able to use these speakers with a system that only takes HDMI for sound.

Question
    Is there any way, with its PC-based plugs, to use it as a 5.1 home theatre system? I've read a few ways people have gotten 2.1 (Matrix Mode) to work, but I'm trying to get the most out of them as is possible. I'd prefer not to buy another set of crappy home theatre speakers. I heard that using something called a receiver might allow this, but there were no details given.

Helpful Links
    1) Logitech X-540 Specs
    2) Logitech X-540 Manual

Quotes From Logitech X-540 Manual

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What kind of TV? Most newer TV's I've seen only have optical or HDMI out for passing audio.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If the TV only has HDMI or optical you will need to purchase something to translate this into analogue RCA or stereo plug to work with your speakers. If your TV has RCA outlets you just need an RCA to stereo plug.

A receiver is the main unit of a home theatre system, it provides the input, output, and processing of signals and has a tuner built in. Trust me, you know what one is, you just may not realise it's now called a receiver due to the enhanced functions. Basically, it takes the place of what used to be known as an amplifier (and a receiver often has a radio tuner built in).

If you need one of those, you might as well get a full, but low capacity system. By that I don't mean floorstanding speakers with 10 inch drivers. Therse aren't too bad price wise, since many people are now going for soundbars. Soundbars are awesome BUT only if you get a proper one, most of the cheap ones are just cheap gimmicky things and are effectively nothing more than having two small individual speakers conencted together. A full proper soundbar, which don't need a receiver, connect directly to the TV, cost several hundred dollars up to $1000+.

A standalone receiver costs way more than your x-540 speakers are worth, even for a cheaper one. Also, you could very easily blow the crap, and then some, out of your speakers by putting 100 W/channel through them! There are pre-outs on receivers, so that is an option, but you would be bypassing the amplifier circuit that you paid for. Surround sound processing will still be done though.

Short answer is yes you can, but whether it is worth it :).

The solution is in the form of an audio extractor like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-HD...705807?hash=item2a7f51fc0f:g:NDsAAOSwwE5WZuwK
    Luckily for you the power plug is 100V-240V and looks like a US socket type, so no adaptor needed for you (unlike here). You may be able to get something similar for cheaper, but keep in mind there is a limit to how cheap you can go before quality suffers. Cheap converters may not have the same sound quality, since it is a digital audio to analogue output adaptor.

If it's just optical output from the TV, there's this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC3-DTS-...34b47da&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=252641720672

I endorse neither of these, just showing you what's available. That said, both of those should be fine and I can't guarantee that for other brands.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    LG TV Model Number (Manual and Specification Docs)
    50PJ350

I would post some images from the manual, but there are many that deal with the various connections available on the back. I'm still very new to audio. My knowledge does not extend beyond RGB, Component, and HDMI cables. And audio, for me, has always been buying a plug and play system. I really have no idea what I'm doing =\.

So you wouldn't recommend I do this. Can you explain why? What are the setbacks? A delay, cause that is bad for Rocksmith. Poor sound, cause that defeats the purpose of using the Logitech's over the partially broken budget home theatre speakers I've been using. I tried going online to research but I'm just not sure what I'm looking at half the time. Still reading, still learning, but no clue what the puzzle picture might be yet :confused:.

Last edited: May 9, 2017

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The spec sheet lists only optical and HDMI for audio out so your only option is really to use one of the devices listed by thatguy91.

Ideally you would want a cheap receiver though. You can get decent ones these days for $200-$300. Obviously they aren't going to have the latest features but they are more than enough for what you are trying to do.
    If you chose to just get a receiver you could use your video game adapter cable that came with your speakers to hook them up to the receiver.

6. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Is a receiver going to provide 5.1 sound or am I still going to need to use Matrix Mode?