Updates From Guru3D Folders

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Svein_Skogen, Aug 14, 2010.

1. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Man, I've always been on Macs (still am, as I use them at work), but I've been bitten by the PC bug. This is my first serious system, just installed the Noctua NH-D14 and the difference is awesome. I'm really eyeing the 460 at the moment, but will hold off until end of this year since there seems to be a lot of good stuff on the brink of coming out.

I can feel your pain of a lost 460. :(

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you want to run F@H on GPU...nVidia is the way to go until the devs learn how to code for ATI properly.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    {Edited}

iam out of my city so my FOLDING PCs r not running..at to notice.

Post edited and moved to a new thread {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  4. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I appreciate it when users inform us if anyone is having a downtime for F@H. To make this process more easy, I have merged similar threads into one.

Wish you all Happy Folding :)

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Ahh, thanks for reminding me.

I've stopped folding on two my my servers (not my prime workstation), since I had some priority issues with the folding processes ... not playing nice with some other (and needed, prime function) of these servers. I'll start investigating how to make folding "play nice" with those servers when I'm done with the current to-new-hardware migration (I'm moving stuff from software iSCSI backends for the VMs to a san solution). This means I'm down from 12 clients to 7 for the time being, but with the prospect of getting up to 15 when I'm done, so all in all it's for the better.

I allowed the now-shut-down clients (as in no longer autostarting) to finish their units before stopping them. ;)

//Svein

6. Mrtom82

Mrtom82 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire radeon 5970
    My main high ppd rig will be down for a few days. My 5970 decided to die :-( I powered on and saw a teeny tiny bit of smoke come out of it and now it is dead. I just requested an RMA from Sapphire and in a fit of rage I ordered a new one from Newegg which should arrive on monday. Even though I really don't have the money to buy a new one, I do not feel like waiting acouple weeks for my RMA. On the plus side, when my RMA does come back I'll have a crossfire 5970 :) I just hope it was worth the money. I'm already kicking myself for ordering it.

So I am still able to use my system. I have my 9800gtx as my main display, but until I get my new card I will not be doing to much folding on this rig. I can't figure out what happend. I purchased some new white UV PCI-E extension cables to make my inside look nicer. All I did was plug them in, I didn't touch anything else in my system and when I powered on my poor 5970 was toast. I've never had anything like this happen to me with a cable. I'm not even 100% sure it was the cable, but since everything was fine and the cables were the only change I don't know what else it could be.

I am working on project 2684 right now and it's at 80%. As soon as it's completed I will down until probably monday. I will still be running smp clients on my other system (core 2 quad @ 3ghz) but it is not nearly as fast.

7. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    hey Mrtom82 did you ever see what temp it got to while it was folding

8. Mrtom82

Mrtom82 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire radeon 5970
    Yeah, I watched my temps real closely with the ATI. I usually was around 58-60c. I never folded without putting the fan on manual control and cranking it up to 75-80%. I hope it didn't have anything to to with folding. I had completed 2 projects on it 8 hours earlier and hadn't used it since. My system was fine until I plugged the new cables in. The second I powered on I saw a small ring of smoke come out of the board.

I am really confused about this whole thing. On the one hand, I think it had something to do with the cable. On the other hand I just can't figure out how a cable could fry my board unless the manufacturer somehow messed up and crossed some wires. I checked the cable up and down and there is nothing I can see that is wrong and I'm too scared to attempt to test them on another card.

9. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Really sorry to hear about your GPU. At least you managed to stop the system before it could damage other components :nerd:

While the PCI-E Cable could be physically undamaged, maybe the wires inside were not up to standard or something else. Maybe static charge built-up and caused it. On the other hand, it could be that it died of "natural causes" in which case, there was nothing that could have done to save it :( I had a sound-card that died like that but it didn't go in vain as I convinced my parents that a new motherboard with built-in sound-card was the "obvious" solution. (that's how I got my second upgrade :)

10. Mrtom82

Mrtom82 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire radeon 5970
    I'm back everyone. I got my new 5970 installed, however I will only be folding -bigadvs for now. I still haven't figured out what cause my last one to die so I'm little nervous about using it to fold. I think I will probably wait into the new client comes out before I start folding on it. Hopefully a beta version gets released soon.

Post moved to appropriate Thread {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010

11. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Glad to have you back :)

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Ehemm...

Iam back to home safely after 1200 km driving today :D

I want to inform you my friends that iam ready to FOLD like there is no tomorrow :)

13. iancook221188

GPU:
    lol good good

14. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Hope you enjoyed your trip Mr.Bigtime. Time to starting folding all those WU :)

15. iancook221188

GPU:
    2684 are so slow tpf of 38min that around 2 day 15 hours do not want one of these again and
    panther how have you just dropped 104k in one update?? lol

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Your complaining about 2684 if it takes 2 days 15 hours, mine takes 3 days 16 hours. However, the other bigadv WUs takes 2.5 days.

17. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Detaching for a few weeks.

It seems the folding@home is ... downright incompatible with some other software I'm running (both using CAL), so for a few weeks now (until I'm done with these calculations) I'll disable folding on the rigs.

I'm not permanently quitting, just detaching for some weeks.

//Svein

Post moved to appropriate thread {F@HTL}

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2010
  18. cyberjunk

cyberjunk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 285+EVGA GT 240
    I got some nasty NANS detected on GPU issues with my GTX 460 atm, not sure what's causing it.
    I've already clocked the card back to basic speeds and deleted my work folder but the errors won't go away.

Going to try to run openCL memtest to check the card. In worst case scenario I might have killed off the memory after leaving it folding for 12 hours.

19. iancook221188

GPU:
    down time because of phase 2, hopefully will be back up in a day ive got the other little rig going still with an smp4 so i wont be doing nuffing

20. cyberjunk

cyberjunk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 285+EVGA GT 240
    So after running memtest OpenCL and not finding any errors I decided to give the card a run in my workstation case and behold no problems.
    After deleting and reinstalling the client everything works fine again on my folding rig.
    In addition, clocking back the card to it's stock speeds even seems to have given it a speed boost. Before I used to fold around 8000 ppd, now I'm getting 10000 ppd. :nerd:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010