AMD officially announces Radeon R9 285 and new FX-processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    Do Battlefield 4 is a concern.... as a benchmark...............
    the first screenshot ---- the new eco 285 is ranged accordingly to PRICE... not according to GPU technology specs....
    --------------
    the debate starts,,,...............

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    ^^let the debate start to decider your post.

4. marios

marios Guest

GPU:
    gtx 650ti 1gb
    so will the new fx 8370 will be the same as fx 8350 but with higher clock rates?

5. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    another -yawn- from amd nothing to see here.

6. Its not meant to be a gpu powerhouse - its price/performance and performance per watt where this gpu holds it's own. This is a nice addition to the current lineup at the performance level most popular among consumers.

Personally I always go for the most top end gpu's I can afford...and usually get two of em..but we are the minority.. as much as some of us might think anyone with half a brain would only want the 290X or 295X2's, 780ti's and titan Z's the reality is that the average joe bloggs purchase the more affordable options.

7. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    Personally I don't like the issues of running 2 gpu's I always buy the 1 fastest gpu. I evaluate amd's offerings and nvidias offerings. I take their flagship gpu and see which 1 averages out better performance in the games i like to play and i see which 1 uses more power and runs hotter and louder then i make my choice. When I got the 5870 nvidias best card was the gtx 480 which used more power and ran hot as hell so I chose the 5870 i preferred its performance characteristics. If I was getting a GPU today it would be the gtx 780ti. It does better in the games I like and it runs cooler and quieter than the 49 290x.

When I get 8 core haswell-e x99 I am actually holding on to the 5870 until big maxwell gm210 comes out on 20nm gtx 980 prob fall 2015. That's gonna be the next big leap like fermi to big kepler was.

8. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    This card should be completely replacing the 270 and 270x(7850/7870). The name is deceptive and will trick consumers into thinking it's a better card than a 280/x. Not surprised. The gpu market is boring until 20nm cards hit, everyone that can wait another year or two gpu-wise should.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    What dual gpu issues have you had in the past?

10. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    annoying micro stuttering. Had the radeon 4870 in crossfire. Tried adding a 4870 to my setup instead of replacing with a 5870. The micro stuttering was very real and very annoying. Sold em off and got a 5870 and gaming was MUCH smoother again.

Maybe they fixed micro stuttering in the past 5 years since i've tried it but I don't even want to go down that path again. I'm happy with 1 flagship gpu. Plus with the resolution I run at 2560x1600 I will only need 1 flagship card. I'm using my 5870 until big gm210 maxwell comes out (either under the titan 2 or if they do the same thing they did with kepler make next years flagship the gtx 980 like they did with the gtx 780). That single gpu will eat up 2560x1600 for breakfast and max out everything at 60fps+ no doubt. So why worry about a 2nd gpu?

And other than the micro stuttering 2 cards make more noise. Their close proximity usually means the fans have to work harder to maintain the same temp a single card was getting. I also use an audio card rather that area not be all crammed with stuff that can interfere magnetically with the audio card. I dunno I just don't feel good about a 2nd card and nowadays the only reason for a 2nd card is 4k UHD. By the time I switch to 4k gaming 1 card will be powerful enough to do it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I wouldn't touch 4k without a minimum of 3 high end cards. I game at 1440p and with my max or near max settings 1 card would be brought to its knees. Microstuttering has been virtually eliminated with kepler gk104 on. Amd with the frame pacing did the same with dx11 games. 7000 series and up.

12. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    You really don't think 1 gm210 maxwell card will be able to play 2560x1600? I'm talkin the gk110 titan z/780ti replacement not the gm204 gtx 880 crap thats goin around now but the eventual titan 2/gtx 980 gm210 card. I'm pretty confident it will handle this resolution well, especially for the games i currently play. Which is starcraft 2, diablo 3, world of warcraft, hearthstone, league of legends, civilization V, path of exile and heroes of the storm (when i actually get access to it) mainly.

I'm not rly that big on all the new super graphics intense first person shooters. I completely hate that entire genre of gaming. The games I like are running well at 1920x1200 on an old sapphire toxic 2GB 5870 at 995mhz core 5120mhz memory (+145mhz core +320mhz memory [from reference]) (Well civ V could use a little more power it taxes my card). But I can wait for gm210 on 20nm which i believe will run 2560x1600 fine for 99% of people with just 1 card.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    How is the 880 crap? The true specs aren't even confirmed.

14. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    It's crap like gk 104 and the gtx 770 is crap compared to the gk110 gtx 780ti. Yes they are both kepler but the "big kepler" is where it's rly at. The gtx 880 in maxwell is analogous to what the gtx 680 was in kepler. The gtx 880 is just the tip of the iceberg to what performance maxwell will truly offer. If nvidia does the same thing than a titan 2 with "big maxwell" gm210 will release a few months after and then next fall when they refresh the gtx 980 will be like the gtx 780 and be big maxwell at a better price.

Overall it's a great card. but it's crap compared to maxwells true performance. Hence where i derived the adjective crap from.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You mean a faster series was released after gk104? What would be the point in releasing something slower than gk104? Faster cards are released all the time thats how amd and nvidia make money.

16. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    Well I just don't see the point into buying into lil maxwell gm204 when u know big maxwell's titan 2 is lurking close around the corner which will inevitably be turned into a much cheaper gtx 980 next fall. Plus 20nm manufacturing will be worked out then. It's not much of a wait to wait for the real successor to the gtx 780ti. And it looks like the gtx 880 won't even surpass the gtx 780ti in performance gk110 too big for lil maxwell to dethrone. gtx 880 will be cheaper than gtx 780ti tho, so there's that.

You are best off sticking with nvidias largest chip with the most transistors. You will at least notice decent gains if you make sure to always upgrade big chip to big chip. Getting gm204 is a downgrade as far as die size goes if coming from gk110.

Especially for you, there is no point going from gtx 780ti to gtx 880. If you want any real gains in performance you need to wait for the titan 2 which should be there next release in early 2015 if they do maxwell the same as kepler. And if you don't wanna pay titan prices you have to wait till fall 2015 for gtx 980 once again thats if they do maxwell the same as kepler.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    So die size is a measurement of performance now? Thats a lot of speculation on your part about the specs performance and price of Maxwell. Care to share your source?

18. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    It's fairly safe basic assumptions. Which i'm 99% sure will be correct and u know it too ur just trying to be smug. Yea die size is a reflection of performance when ur talking the same architecture on the same process node. more die size means lots more transistors which means lots more performance, remember only if ur comparing the same architects at the same process node. Comparing a 28nm maxwell die to another 28nm maxwell die the larger die will have more transistors and be more potent.

MAYBE gtx 880 gm204's architecture changes will be enough to propel it above even a full gk110 but if it does it wont be by very much and certainly not worth upgrading from a gtx 780ti. You will have to wait for gm210 to make that upgrade worth it.

I dont need to know the exact specs to know that basically my prediction is correct.

Are you arguing with my logic because you rly rly want to "upgrade" from a gtx 780ti sli to gtx 880 sli and want to justify that purchase to yourself? Just enjoy your 780ti's and wait for big maxwell trust in my predictions and u will be happier. :)

And my source is the past with kepler they released small kepler first as gtx 680 then released big kepler as gtx titan a few months later then when they refreshed to gtx 700's they made big kepler the gtx 780 and full gk104 slotted down to gtx 770. I'm simply predicting the same thing will happen with maxwell. Small maxwell is released first as gtx 880 big maxwell few months later as titan 2 then for the gtx 900 refresh big maxwell is gtx 980 and little maxwell slotted down to gtx 970. Is my prediction really that farfetched? I feel it's practically common sense that anyone could think of.

19. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    laststop is right if tall these rumours are true on specs this will be the next 600 series that in less then a year gets reduced by a couple 100$ so everyone feels ripped off. Im speaking from experience and ill never buy the first of a new gen agan its best to wait for its refresh.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    They are rumors. Nothing is confirmed from nvidia. Its all vapor ware till then. Thats my entire point here.