How to Enable Dolby Vision on Mass Effect Andromeda

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MegaFalloutFan, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Are you so sure about that? I played even REC 2020 video, which according to MPC HC was running as it should, and it looked fine instead of screwed up as it looks on non-HDR displays.
    If your TV supports HDR and the game supports it, then basically you'll get a 10 bit image with better contrast ratio and brighter peaks. Depending on the content it can look much nicer.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    My KU6000 shows proper HDR, it's 8bit but the difference is clearly visible.

I see comments like these all the time on youtube but it's false, they wouldn't advertise the TV as HDR ready if it can't show it.

You'll still get the HDR experience even on 8bit but not as good as a 10bit panel.
    Also you can test an 10bit source on a 8bit panel to see if it can handle it and mine shows no color banding or issues displaying 10bit colors.

3. jander13

jander13 Guest

GPU:
    pcauthority.com.au/News/456285,these-are-the-first-bugs-bioware-is-addressing-in-mass-effect-andromeda.aspx

it states here are dolby vision is currently disabled for MEA

4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You see difference but who says its proper HDR? According to HDR certification, HDR panels must be 10 or 12bit. So you see downsampled version of HDR. Its not proper real HDR
    Once I tested HDR in a whats its name (the first PC game with HDR, something something 2) i tested in RGB 8bit mode and it looked almost identical to SDR, when i changed the windows settings to 4:2:2 12Bit, oh than it changed to look proper HDR.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Thanks for letting us know, its just a matter of waiting.

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    To see HDR your display must change into HDR mode.
    On HDR and Dolby Vision displays, when you turn on HDR or DV content it changes into appropriate mode, with different settings and option available to the user.

P.S. Here is why regular non certified TVs can get HDR support in firmware and why even if your spec allows it you cant see HDR: For High Dynamic Range playback a TV must support the SMPTE ST2084 EOTF (electrical optical transfer function – the way a screen turns digital data into visible light) and achieve one of two combinations of peak brightness and black level depth. Either more than 1000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level, or more than 540 nits peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  7. AmpleNickel4262

AmpleNickel4262 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4 GB
    Patch update with Dolby Vision support

Bioware just added experimental Dolby Vision support in latest patch. Check it out, see if it works now.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The patch is being released next week though I believe, they just posted the 1.08 patch notes ahead of it.

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Yep, 1.08 is not out yet

10. S0phisticated88

S0phisticated88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    With patch 1.08 Dolby Vision isn´t working :bang:

HDR mode in the game is still off (with the latest drivers), regardless of the Windows HDR settings and nvidia settings. With 378.92 HDR10 is working, but not Dolby Vision.

I can enable Dolby Vision in the game but it´s useless because the games detect no HDR generally in the auto setting (there is only auto or off)

Edit: My TV is Dolby Vision ready (LG 65B6 OLED)

11. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Dolby Vision = Pure ORGASM

[​IMG]

Translated as: Your monitor is already calibrated with Dolby Vision, it does not let you change nothing, that means REAL BT.2020, NO CLIPPING LIKE HDR10, OMFG years of distance in quality, it just pees on HDR10

To make it work:

Nvidia 9xx as minimum
    Set RGB to COMPLETE on the PC, if not it wil NOT work

Dont know if it works on the latest windows 10 version, but it works for me in the version before the windows 10 game update

My TV is an E6

12. S0phisticated88

S0phisticated88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Don´t work for me :(
    But when you set RGB to full it translates that is 4:4:4 and so it´s only possible with 8bit due to HDMI limitations but Dolby Vision or HDR in general needs at least 10bit to avoid Color banding.

So you have the Windows 10 creators update not installed, right?
    And the latest nvidia Drivers are installed?

13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Whats your Driver Version?
    Can you post your Nvidia Resolution settings screenshot for us?

Im on 1080Ti, LG OLED C6P, Driver 382.33 and Nothing works, not HDR and Not Dolby Vision. Sad.

14. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    I have the 382.13? (dont remember the number)

No windows 10 creators update (Which it's a **** that causes problems with HDR)

Resolution on nvidia panel set to 4k at RGB FULL 8bit

The game resolution is at 1080p@60hz to have full 4:4:4, i prefeer to use a higher AA + higher settings before use 4K with lower chroma and framerate

If set the image type to YCBCR or anything that it's not RGB FULL, when i try to use the Dolby Vision HDR, all becomes PINK and does not work, when i change it to RGB FULL it works perfectly

i'm using my laptop with 1070 and my OLED E6

15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    So here are my finding, I just rolled back to 378.92 drivers.

1080Ti + LG C6P + Win10 Creative update with latest updates
    ME:A 1.08

HDR works as it should, no matter nvidia control panel settings (I think it changes them automatically, but I got a habit to switch to 4K/60H 4:2:2 12Bit before opening HDR games, Just in case)

I managed to enable Dolby Vision (I think its driver independent) BUT it only works in 2 cases:
    4K/30Hz mode
    1080P/60Hz mode

It doesn't work in ANY resolution in between these two modes (Im sure it will run in 4K/24 and 23hz too since those BD refresh rates but i didn't checked, no reason to)

Dolby Vision has No game mode and Input Lag is horrible or some otehr non-gaming defect (I turned off all image processing)
    I tried playing in 4K/30hz mode with Vsync, normal console scenario, game camera and character spinning was laggy as hell, Initially I was sure that the lagging was to due 30Hz refresh rate, so I switched to HDR and the lagging was gone, spinning the camera and character was silky smooth

16. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    Dude, turn off Trumotion, input lag horrible? works perfectly for me, it's just that the game has low response time by itself for some actions if you use a controller, but i'd say that the input lag was no higher than 35

17. Taggen86

Taggen86 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Can confirm that it only works using those settings with creators update.
    Has anyone on creators update manages to get dolby vision working on other settings than 4k/30 and 1080/60? these settings suck

18. Taggen86

Taggen86 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I think Dolby vision is a huge upgrade over HDR10, especially in terms of dark levels and the reduction of banding (the banding was terrible in HDR10). It looks insane. However, as you say, it is only possible in 1080/60 and 2160p/30 due to what I believe is HDMI cable limitations. 2160/30 is almost unplayable due to high input lag, but 1080/60 is playable and looks good I think.

btw I use the windows creators update and Nvidia driver 378.92. Do not know if it works using more current drivers. Any update on whether it works using more recent drivers would be nice.

19. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I think right now DV is unusable, 1080p looks bad on 4K TV. :bang:
    BUT you can try to improve the image, there is image scaling setting in ME:A, you can play in FHD resolution and scale the image to higher internal resolution,so it will down sample for smoother picture, in this case you can choose any scaling factor, a sweet spot that will do maximum down sampling at 60FPS

20. 256k

256k Guest

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    1080p looks bad? wtf? O__o, looks perfect on my PC, just use 1080p and increase the internal resolution scale if you want