AMD next Generation Volcanic Island

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, May 8, 2013.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I believe we need a new thread, but sadly informations are really poor now outside the name and rumored specs who will ofc be far or close of the reality.

- Architecture is based on Volcanic Island name like Hawaii ( high end ) and Reykjavik ( possible mid range ).

- Some sites stats a 20nm process, some the architecture is still 28nm ..

- Volcanic Island should be released on Q4 2013.

Rage3D lead in a recent article about his visit on AMD center: http://www.rage3d.com/articles/hardware/amd_worldcast/

CHipphell forums ( surely a fake anyway ) : http://www.chiphell.com/thread-743744-1-1.html

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Just bumped into this at Videocardz. Nice rumor lol. Powerful, I like that. And we really should be close to that 512 bit memory bus by now.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    The shema is nearly " or a fake " or a different architectures.. but well i believe we will see many rumor till Q4 .

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    2x shader count + 2x TMU + 2x ROP + 1.33x Mem. Bandwidth and only Half compute power.
    This does not Fit GCN. I've seen better fakes.

But going for 512b buss + 48TMUs/192ROPs and 3072 shaders would be normal for single top-end graphics card released nearly 2 years after HD7970.

5. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Love to see what improvements they make with power consumption compared to performance to previous generations..

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since this got bumped I'll add what I know now.

Image is just scheme of one of server designs.
    Dashed square at left is 16core opteron with Cortex A5 for security and ECC memories.
    GPU block at right side is indeed GCN, and it has 16 Compute Units, but it has 1024 Stream Processors which fits 64SP=1CU.

And at bottom that PCIe 3.0 is not card supporting it, it's chipset level support, means AMD decided it is meaningful for server. (May be needed for 6~8x FirePro cards.)

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its 16 compute modules with 4x raster engines , so it could very well be 4x16 = old 64 CU

In any case it won't be underpowered, Im 1000% on that.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    its nearly 100% confirmed as a fake... someone have do this diagram as a mock up in 2012 of what he was seen as a possible architecture ( if remember well, something like XeonPhi on an APU.

Memory controllers are write as 72bits, there's many thing who dont match "GPU", let alone the specs.

Edit: not seen the Fox post.. well he was nearly explain all.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    What i fail to understand with the rumors is WTF happened to Sea Islands? It was Sea Islands and Solar Sytem that we were supposed to be seeing in the 8000 series. Solar system in the mobile market which is just now being introduced and Sea Islands in the desktop segment.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond
    [​IMG]

I know it dates back to Feb. but i can't recall any other official statements on AMDs upcoming GPUs. Don't get me wrong if they surprised us with the specs above and jumped processes like noone thought they could i'll be astounded i just don't see it. It's one of those too good to sound true type of things.

Kind of like thinking the 780 can be 499$ and be withing 10% the performance of Titan.

10. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    They already mentioned they will be going straight to 9000 series.

Also 780 will not be 10% slower than Titan but around 20% slower, which still makes it 20% faster then 680, so go figure.

Milking it much, YES SIR!!

That's why I got the Titan, because I covered this and next gen with a single GPU, or if you wish I covered 600 and 700 series for now, and by the time the 800 series come around the Titan will be around 10-20% slower, and I will still be able to play normally, at least as 580 users are standing now, comparing to this gen.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Sea Island cards should have been launch on late 2012 Q1 2013.. AMD have annonce delay any new GPU series to Q4 or end of 2013..

Some month ago, the rumor have been unofficially confirmed, they are jumping directly to the next architecture: Volcanic Island.

Also today, we dont know if they will use the 28nm process or will be allready on 20nm.. ( let say, many rumors point the 20nm, TSMC have decided to build a second line of production for it who will be ready soon ).

Sea Island ( also called CI when abregate ), was ready current 2012, so you can imagine they have not report Sea Island of more of 1 year and will just launch them then in 2014.. ( the most common reason who float around is the 28nm process was dont give enough improvement possibility, and so the gain between South and Sea Island will have been not enough.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Vulcanic Islands will be 20nm for sure, there isn't much room left to cram all those shader cores, unless they make it big.

I think Southern Islands could be reserved for next-gen midrange aka 7800, 6800 series., and that real high end Vulcanic Islands.

This is what it suppose to be with SI - CuraƧao XT
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1932/radeon-hd-8970.html

13. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I didn't know they already mentioned they'd be skipping Sea Islands

Re-read my statement i said thinking that the 780 would be 10% slower than Titan is wishful thinking. Or was implying it. As you said leaked specs are already showing it's going to worse than 10%. Not only that but Titan is around 30% faster than the 7970GE so for people running OCed 7970s the 780 doesn't justify 500-600$ IMO. I was hoping it was very close to Titan i might made the jump.

I see any links? Would like to read it. Had no idea they cancelled Sea Islands. Though i did understand as far as Volcanic Islands was concerned that 20nm wasn't ready but i see it might be.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Q4 2013 / Q1 2014 Sea Island/Curacao & Co.
    Q3/Q4 2014 Volcanic Island 20nm

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/der-lange-weg-zu-den-ersten-20nm-grafikkarten

If Sea Islands/parts of it have been canceled, AMD will of course pull in Volcanic.
    But that won't be whole 12 months earlier on low supply/expensive 20nm.
    Remember Rory saying no more jumping on next node asap?

28nm VI? Maybe...
    Or perhaps we will see some kind of mix GCN 1.1/2, because you don't just cancel entire lineup.

15. jomama22

jomama22 Member

GPU:
    3x 7970 Lightning
    Sea islands has been canceled most likely. They would have released this in January had they not (aibs apparently had 8970 reference models being prepped back in December from a few sources). Also since OEM parts are labled as "HD 8xxx" it makes sense that they will just jump to VI. Tsmc has stated they will have 20nm by end summer/early fall which will be enough time to test the process as well.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah, ready. Then take 6 months for tap out and 6 months for testing, readying production lines.
    Which means Q3 2014 if everything goes well.

That's an awful lot of time to sit on, so there has to be 28nm refresh in between.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio