Best and worst of decades past.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by F1refly, Feb 24, 2013.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    So much fuss about the 80s! I was born in 89 so i guess suck on tits is what i really enjoyed. From the 90 to now all i have to say is...it´s getting worse and worse. Sure there are great things in evolution since then, many great things, but they´re becoming more shallow and superficial on par with humans.

2. Salsoolo

Salsoolo Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 690
    i would kill to get back to the 90s.
    cheap gas, jobs everywhere, i worked more jobs as a kid than any kid growing up today ,and propably as adult :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Yea^...Day's gone by Though....I try to stay Happy all the Time.:)

Great Thread Also....

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    not much to say about the 80´s ,i remember school teachers having almost same autorithy as our parents,listening to ABBA and treasuring a candy bar as it was made from..gold.
    As a teenager 90´s were where the fun was at,and were the danger also,and the fear of being drafted.
    The 00´s were good also

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Yeah, by a long shot, imo.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Biggest game of 1983 of the top of my head was probably Dragons Lair running off a Laser Disk player which i actually had a hybrid system on the Atari ST way back in 1989 which actually ran of a Laserdisk machine.

The disks were huge like 12 inch records.

Ah the great Video game crash,Yeap i remember, off the top of my head Atari buried 1000's and 1000's of ET cartridges in the desert from the Legendary 2600 console which i still have in my possession today.

Atari thought the game would sell loads and loads because of how successful the film was and believe me at the time the film was so successful i cannot even describe how big it was back then.

The only movies as big were the Starwars movies but in a different way.

Anyhow Atari's gamble failed and the game sucked bigtime.

The Great video game crash from what i can remember was more in America than Europe and it only affected games in the home and NOT the arcades.

If anything games from the Coin-op went from strength to strength and the mid to early 1990s was definitely the Coin-ops finest hour where companys like Capcom, Konami, SNK, Technos etc etc made some of the finest games ever made.

There were many years in the arcade industry that had innovative titles but for me the finest year of the Coin-op was definitely 1987. (Double Dragon, R-type Wonderboy in Monsterland etc etc.....the list goes on, great year it was!)

I can go on forever regarding the Arcade industry as those places were like a second home for me, anyhow i better put a cap on it before i keep talking and talking and talking.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    remember when radio shack was cool?

I had a sony boombox... ran on 12 D size batterys ,loved that thing. not the battery part.
    I miss console tvs. great picture,great sound,top could be used for cablebox,vcr and other stuff.

when I was a kid we had console tv with a record player on one side,8 track and radio on the other side. it had turn dials but also remote control. had a motor that turned the dials. but it had problem with interference causing to randomly change channels.

my bedroom had a black and white tv didnt have color until the 90s. which I would complain about, but my mom would be like....when I was a kid we only had one tv and it was black and white.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope, even in the 80's MTV still had BS tv shows....

When was that? lol I remember when Radio Shack hired people that actually knew something about electronics. Now you walk into a Radio Shack and ask where the resistors, rheostats or diodes are...and they just look at you with a blank stare until you walk away....

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    In the 90's, yes. Well the DC was cool, but it was late 99 on release so i didn't really include it. Sega really put out a steady stream of crap in much of the 90's, i remember renting Genesis games and at some point they hit this stride of crap with only a few gems.
    Got an SNES and was amazed, SMB4 was pure fun, Starfox was epic, many great arcade ports like TMNT 2, Final Fight, Combatribes, Knights of the round..etc. Just a lot of good Arcade feel and looking games.

I do really miss Arcades though, full of people, all the sights and sounds. I use Arcade Ambience sometimes while playing MAME, Not really accurate but not bad.

Yeah, i don't think they even sell much outside of cell phone accessories anymore. But i remember when they sold computers, i thought they were pretty cool place at the time since my area had no other real electronics store besides HH greg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  10. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Quoting a smart man. I don't know his real name, but Hallryu rymes with making sense :nerd:

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    HH Greg is an electronics store? There one here is actually worse than Radio Shack as far as staffing is concerned. The HH Greg here sells mostly overpriced appliances, TVs and laptops. During their "Grand Opening" I found a 32" Samsung TV at HH Greg for $798. Best Buy was selling the same model for $498 and Walmart for $329. Haven't been in there since I went looking for HDMI cables after they told me that I had to buy an $80 "Monster" HDMI cable if I wanted 1080P because it was the only cable on the market capable. lol...

The Radio Shack here sells TV's, DVD/Blu-ray players, cell phones, 2-way radios and tablets. They do still have the DIY electronics parts....but good luck finding an employee that has any clue what you're talking about.

12. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I was born in 81 and I remember there was just a different feel in the 80's to mid-late 90's than there is today.everything was more fun it seemed.

toys were better..games were better...lol even quality of ppl were better

Me and friends were always outside on our bmx bikes riding all over all day and night..skating..playing handball,basketball.

Now days kids rarely go outside and do anything..i never see any kids riding bikes and only the occasional lone skate boarder.

Arcades though were where it was at..always crowded and always fun then they just died off it seems.

maybe its just me but nothing seems actually fun anymore like it used to.

oh well.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I was comparing to the old HHgregg, they sold computers, games..etc back then, even had a car audio show room. BestBuy and Circuit City opening in my town caused both of them to change and unlikely they will ever return to selling that stuff again. The RS in my area is very small and only cater to cell phones, accessories and laptop/tablet accessories. Though i remember when they used to have a good supply of DIY parts like diodes, resistors..etc.

I agree, although i was a kid so perhaps that is why it seemed more fun. I was always so impressed by how good the quality was of many arcades compared to their 8bit/16 bit counterparts, more details, voices, little things like that rarely got transitioned to even the 16 bit versions very well.
    I still very much enjoy them today via emulation.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The advent of powerful technology in the home killed of the Arcades which was a good thing for the consumer but a bad thing for other reasons.

Yeah your right the Arcades were so far ahead of anything most games conversions were laughable but you still played them because of how good the Coin-op Parent was.

If i was on a desert Island and was only allowed a few games i would take MAME all day long.:)

15. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You have a bit of a biased experience considering Sega products. The issue with Sega was more of that the best games on the system were often somewhat hard to find and not really well known. The two systems were very equal when it comes to quality in terms of titles overall.

Also, it's really hard to not give a biased experience to this question. Generally speaking, the younger you were, the more fulfilling certain things seemed (such as video games). This is because they were more new to you and fresh.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Haha they both sucked balls, Real gamers back then had a Neo Geo or JAMMA compatible PCB SUPERGUN like myself!:p

Only joking:)

18. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    80's - Thumbs up for music
    00's - Thumbs down for music

19. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Disagree, there is still good music around (Gangnam Style) :banana: ;)

20. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    being that i was born in 87... cant really say much about that decade.

things i hated about the 90s:
    *Micheal Bolton
    *Overalls

Things i love about the 90s:

*even some one hit wonder groups rocked
    *Nickelodeon, snick
    *Command and Conquer Red Alert and the Aftermath
    *Nintendo64
    *super NES
    *Playstation, Gameboy and Pokemon Blue/red/yellow

the 00's

things i didnt like:
    *rock and metal genres became wayy to generic, only a few bands worth listening to.
    *rap was even decent to listen to up untill the year 2000.. rap from 2000 onward that i listen to is rare
    *DRM

Things i loved about the 00s:
    Women realized how sexy it is to have a big a$$
    High definition gaming and pr0n
    PC tech was better than ever.
    My first dose of Pu$$y

countless other things i couldve added to each decade in likes and hates, but i just woke up and am not too sharp right now..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013