Review: AMD FX 8350 - 8320 - 6300 and 4300 processor performance [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Earlier this week the AMD FX 8350 processor launched, in this review we'll look at all four processors, the AMD FX 8350 - 8320 - 6300 and 4300 in a easy to read performance review. This article is nothing more then a performance overview of all four processors released earlier this week. So this article is basically functions as a performance chart overview.

Review: AMD FX 8350 - 8320 - 6300 and 4300 processor performance

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the review.
    It appears that among them FX-8350 looks the most interesting for general (Guru3D-like) usage, and FX-6300 for the more budget oriented rigs as the price is virtually the same as FX-4300.

Is there any chance you could add Borderlands 2 benchmark in the future? It's very CPU-limited.

3. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    More second rate processors by AMD. They still can't catch the aging 2500K, a quad core chip. Meh.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    TBH I'd still consider the FX-8350 to be a quad core, with hardware hyperthreading. For the money it's a decent CPU.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ahh, very nice and thank you. It appears the FX-6300 is a strong performer but that the 6100 could easily match it with a decent overclock. The 6300, while better, didn't seem to be too far ahead of its older brother in most cases.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's because AMD is not competing with Intel in the high end market. This is a mid range cpu. And comparing it to a high end cpu is a bit silly don't you think?

That's exactly what it is. It's still a decent step up for anyone who has an older AMD cpu and is looking to upgrade.

7. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, I just noticed this bonehead comment. Have you seen the cost of these new Vishera chips? Do you think they're trying to top Intel's high end? You're delusional. The 2500K costs $220. The competing FX-6300 costs $139. Do the math :rolleyes:

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    They are second rate processors. The comment isn't bone headed at all maybe blunt. The parts AMD are putting out are not competitive for AMD themselves and in order to even dream of selling they have to price them really low.

This little table featured here tells us everything

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested

AMD's chips have massive die sizes even compared to sandy bridge parts (that's a nearly 2 year old processor). This has a number of hidden implications; First the parts cost more in absolute terms than an Intel processor from 2 years ago, second its a very good indicator at just how inefficient the design is (with the power consumption numbers to boot).

So basically AMD is selling CPUs with razor thin margins, against mid to low level Intel parts (with massive margins), with okayish performance and abyssal power envelopes.

All this in an industry which in order to survive must be able to compete with ARM. The Anandtech review does an interesting bit of work where he extrapolates the promised performance gains into the future, we see AMD could potentially catch up performance wise, AMD however can only dream of sub 10w parts like Haswel is going to bring.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Its easy to make "massive margins" when your processors are as batsh!t expensive as Intel's are. Anyway, I think its pretty clear that at its price point, Piledriver is a solid chip and its hard to argue its performance value. I think the majority of people on this site would agree. Yourself probably not included.

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Id agree that the FX 8320 seems great for the money, can overclock well past the standard 8350 so would be my choice, AMD lost the high end along time ago, thats not the market there competing for.

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

I gave an in-depth explanation which obviously didn't convince you, you gave a 5 line answer with zero technical merit.

Lemme illustrate so that there is little confusion.

FACT 1. AMDs die sizes are massive compared to Intel
    FACT 2. AMDs power envelopes are terrible compared to Intel
    FACT 3. AMDs flagship processors compete with Intels low end offerings and EOL products

From a consumer point of view the price is enticing and the performance ok to better then ok for certain workloads.

From a technology/analysis point of view AMD is struggling big time. The prices AMD has to sell at are horrifying for the amount of silicon used, ever since the manufacturing has spun off to GF they have been slower to move to smaller nodes, they have no conceivable time table (nor plan) to produce a x86 chip to compete with ARM or Intel on the power envelope side.

Please tell me what parts are not true, I am very interested in you're reply

As regards to the general opinion of other gurus I wouldn't speculate like that.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ sigh, here we go again. I don't care about your "technical merit" analysis, and whether its true or not. It has virtually nothing to do with my point. I care about performance/price point for the consumer and thats what I spoke on and have based my opinion on. Don't manufacture "confusion" where there is none, I simply stated its a good value. Whats technical about that? good lord

this.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    those chips do not impress me 1 bit, they do well in a couple multi threaded benches. single thread is still poo, gaming too. multi gpu gaming even worse. power hungry inefficient, large die size. and the most expensive 8 core is about the same as a 3570k or a cheaper 2500k, memory bandwidth is low compared to intel. too many negatives to even consider opening up my wallet.

14. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

Fair enough I can respect your opinion.

There is no need to be sarcastic, I thought I was talking to enthusiasts here who would take other aspects of the CPU to heart.

If you are happy with OK performance and great prices then yeah its a great chip.

I wouldn't buy it because for me its a disappointing piece of tech, I remember the same argument of "great value for money" for the dual core p4 "pressler" back in 05 because Intel could get aggressive on the price. Pressler was a second rate chip for the exact same reason why Vishera is.

15. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    The only thing that seems to suffer is gaming performance, nothin else is that bad really, new games are much heavier on GPU than CPU and once you go to certain resolutions the benefit a silly fast CPU becomes irrelevent (and the gain becomes smaller) to a point as a mid range will churn out near enough the same frame rate.

Everyone who knows anything about computers will know that if you want the best gaming PC there is then Intel has to be the choice, but AMD doesnt really do that bad at anything else really. If your like me these days and go for just something thats good for the money then I dont see anything wrong with a 8350 or whatever.

I like competition as it keeps the market healthy but the high end has been lost for a while as far as AMD are concerned, but thats not what there aiming for.

The only issue i have with it is the power consumptions under load which i agree is high but then that wouldnt really put me off, if i can afford the processor itself then a extra few pounds of electiricity wont kill me.

Ow and nice review Hilbert, been waiting for this one.

16. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Great comparison, you should start doing a CPU chart alike the VGA charts you have! Very usefull :)

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mate, if ignorance is bliss then you must be in absolute heaven.

Seriously, take the time to actually read some reviews and get a clue...
    Obviously you haven't seen the multi-threaded benchmarks where Vishera came close to or beat i5 in almost every single test, even managed to top i7 at times.

If someone wants the best CPU available that isn't power hungry and does nothing but play games, no doubt IB/SB is the way to go, no question.
    For everybody else however, there's the 8320/50... performs well in games, excels in heavily threaded applications, and is priced accordingly

And who knows what more performance can come from increased NB clocks?

Not to mention the 9xx AM3+ chipsets are great...(ASUS ftw) and AMD boards always last 2 or 3 CPU upgrades...another bonus.

From AnandTech;
    I've said this before, but wouldn't some of you think it'd be a great thing to have some good old fashioned AMD vs Intel banter happening in the forums..

Do any of you long time Guru's remember all the debates we used to have back in the A64/Conroe days?

Guys like Ledhead used to live for that...I kinda miss it....:3eyes:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    You kinda cherry picked Anands conclusion which isn't honest.

You quoted the first two lines and missed the whole other 2 paragraphs which basically say that for him to recommend it you must have high multithreaded needs. He also says how otherwise it does badly and at the last line reminds us about the terrible power performance you get for the good multithreaded performance.

Anyways full conclusion here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/9

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^OK, but regardless they did have good things to say about PD, and overall impression was favorable.
    I was trying to point out that PD is not a train wreck in the way BD was... contrary to what some people (in this forum) would have us believe.

But here's the whole conclusion...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  20. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    It is a step forward in my opinion from AMD, but it is still far from Intel. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new era for AMD and bring some competition to Intel.