How's the prformance with AMD cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kens30, May 17, 2013.

1. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Well this is the first time ever i am considering upgrading to an AMD GPU.
    As i have never owned one ever,always had Nvidia cards mostly due to hearing about how bad the drivers are for AMD/ATI gpus.Anyway lately i have been hearing really good words about how AMD drivers have improved by a lot compared to the past + AMD offers better value for money (Nvidia has gone nuts lately selling cards at $1000) i will most likely be upgrading near the end of the year when the new GPU's will be released.
    So anyone with a 7970 (single gpu not crossfire) would you mind sharing your experience with your card and if your happy with how current drivers have improved and generally if your happy with your purchase or regretted that you didn't go for Nvidia?

2. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Hey Ken,

I can't say enough good things about my 7970, best card I have ever owned, have owned many from both sides.

I never did experience all the problems people were saying about AMD drivers, even in the past, but they have steadily gotten faster and faster for me.

Using 13.5 beta 2 right now, the 7970 has turned out to be quite a bit faster than a 680 for most games I play. (BF3, TombRaider, TF2, etc.)

and the 3GB frame buffer rocks :), I run 3840X1024 res, and this sucker is fast enough for every game I play on the highest settings.

The new 8970 should kick some ass for its price, AMD has always been pretty good at that.

Good Luck

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I can add to that.. This 7950 does a hell of a job OCing and everything, for it's price it's a killer.

If you're interested I can show you what a good 7950 3dmark11(or 2013) score looks like. You'll get an idea of what the card does at this price.

4. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Nothing but positive experience for me with AMD/ATI in quite a long period of time.

Same goes with NVidia, I did regretted going to NVidia few times, but it turns out that all major problems was not on NVidia side, but specific brand. I can't say for ATI/AMD the same, because I never had GPU from s**y brand on that side.

Make sure you buy quality product, no matter if is NVidia or AMD.

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks for your feedback i have my eyes set on the new 8970 that is arriving late this year and as of Nvidia they have some good cards too but a bit overpriced compared to what AMD has to offer and to be honest i don't care about loosing physx at all it has been nothing but a gimmick for me and AMD's GCN architecture seems very promising i mean look at the 7970 released almost 2 years ago and with latest drivers giving it a great performance boost that is equal and surpasses the GTX 680 in some games and i love that AMD is helping game developers with their Gaming Evolved program to optimize games for their hardware..Not to mention that next gen consoles will both have AMD hardware..which might give AMD a slight edge to performance in upcoming titles..

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Love my 7970 CF, rocks 2560 x 1440 no problem. OCs nicely to 1000 MHz/1500 MHz core/ram, even up to 1050 with a slight voltage bump. Generally much better value for money than nvid cards as well.

7. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Seconded except i have only had two AMD GPUs a 4890 and my 7970. Make sure if you go with a 7970 you go reference so you can adjust voltage. Though you can adjust voltage on the Ghz editions it's not worth another 100$. The 7970 is the fastest single GPU clock for clock under Titan, albeit not that much ahead of a 680. But it's cheaper and usually OCs better, it's also to note that more memory and the larger bus width come in handy at higher res. If you OC it just gets better because most will do 1125/1575 with little no voltage. I love mine and can't wait to test it on water when i can build this new rig.

I'll put it this way my Phenom 955 is severely bottlenecking my 7970, i'm only getting 50-60% usage on large multiplayer games yet i'm still getting around 50-60fps average.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If your psu can handle it use your 480 as physx, If you are just getting a single and card you will be fine

9. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I will be getting a single card either the 8970 when it is released or if a can't wait so long even a 7970 is an excellent upgrade from my GTX480.Do you mean using the 480 for physx if i go with a Nvidia card?Or can i use the GTX480 as dedicated Physx card with an AMD 7970 as my main card?Have things changed and i haven't noticed?I thought and still think that you need a Nvidia gpu as your main card to be able to use my GTX480 for physx, is that even possible with an AMD gpu as your main card?have i missed anything?

10. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Pretty sure you can use the 480 as a dedicated Phsyx card and your 7970 as your main.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    i think you can easily go for a gtx7XX and use your 480 as physx card...that's the best choice of all...personally i will never stay red again even on movies nvidia is better in image quality (CUDA with LAV and MADVR, it's so epic) :)

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    7970 here is an incredible performer. Bulldozes through everything.

Between 8 people I know personally who have 79xx cards, none are disappointed. They're all happy with their card(s).

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not a 7970 owner here, but my gpu is overclocked past 7970 performance and its a great card. Recommended.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I haven't been this happy since my 8800GTX.....

Getting around 85fps in FarCry 3 DX9 1600x1200. Can't run DX11 sadly because my vrm temps hit 105c.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You can run an amd and nvidia card as physx. Is that 480 a reference one?

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol? You should probably fix that or clock lower. Also, I originally had a 7970, but for my usage it didn't fit the bill. Bad OpenGL performance (still), and not having something equivalent to Nvidia inspector is just balls.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I had vrm tepts hitting near 100c on my 295 running furmark. They are designed to handle high temperaturs. That card was still alive and I recently sold it

18. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I'm pleased with my card. I need to set the power limit at +20% though, or else it will throttle when running farcry at ultra settings dx11@1920x1080.
    Can't clock it higher than 1140 on the core and 1600 on the memory, or else it will crash. Not a great overclocker compared to some 7950 cards that can clock higher.
    But I get around 70 fps in farcry3 with those settings, so that's good enough for me.

Latest beta drivers are pretty decent, though still some issues with shadows in certain games. Apparently they changed some settings in previous drivers, making them run faster overall, but also creating instability and throttling, forcing users to lower their clocks somewhat. The latest beta drivers are better in that respect.

I would say the 7970Ghz cards are first choice if you have to decide between those and GTX680 cards from nvidia, due to pricing. In games they are about the same performance wise.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well we have RP, not quite as good as Inspector but it's improving.....

Maybe your 280 didn't have OTP....? 8228 vrm on this card throttles GPU at 108c that's why I can't use DX11.

Well DX11 maxed out at least....there's some graphics option that really stresses out the GPU but not sure what it is.....any idea?

My wattmeter sits at 1100W during FC and doesn't change.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Uhm i wouldnt be happy at all with that.. Id get something different or at least a new cooling solution. You probably should lower your oc, and if temps are high even at stock well tbh that card has really terrible cooling. hell back then my 8800gt that had the worst single slot cooler ever, vrm temps didnt get that high either..

DX11 engine is designed to be better threaded and use resources more efficiently(if coded correctly). DX9 mode your cpu is probably getting more pegged than your gpu. I bet your card would fry in metro last light maxed out, not good.

Last edited: May 19, 2013