So this 4yr old shoots 6yr old in the face

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by cowie, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I do not see why this needs to be locked, its been civil

2. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    You're right. I spoke out of place. This isn't my topic and I apologize. As you were, gentlemen. :)

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I concur.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As long as the thread is civil, there's no reason for it to be locked. People are entitled to their own opinion.

I'm "against guns".... BUT, I respect the right of others to possess guns. So, I guess I'm an exception to your claim....

Guns aren't the problem.... It's irresponsible people....and people with violent tendencies that are the problem. Guns don't kill people. Guns are simply a more efficient way for PEOPLE to kill....

5. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    They're 4 and 6.
    It could have easily been 'eating a crap ton of something you're allergic to', or 'running into the street', or 'throwing rocks at a bees nest'.
    People die all the time by unintentional consequences - particularly kids.
    It's been this way since before people were even people. Completely normal and common.

Hell, a kid I went to school with died by tripping on the split level in his kitchen and hitting his head on the way down (not the architect's fault).
    Another associate from school had a neighbor get dragged under a car after he hid under it and the car drove off (not the driver's fault).
    A few kids died jumping their cars (not the car mfg's fault).
    Teenager my Dad knew did a loop in a glider at low altitude [to show off] and couldn't complete it (not the air club's fault or the glider's fault).
    Another kid took his GF for a flight, ignored the altimeter, and went down under clouds that ended up being fog. Ditched into a lake and killed her (not the air club's fault or the airplane's fault).

All preventable by paying attention or not being a dip sh1t.
    In the mean time, countless others went by their daily lives in uneventful boredom.

You don't run society in preparation for a meteors falling, and there's nothing to do here either.

-scheherazade

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. Don't know why there needs to be a debate on it.

7. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Quite the mystery indeed.

You're all right though... smarter parenting, smarter firearm safety, etc. I read a quote a little while ago: "Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of everyone is more stupid than that" (or something to that effect).

Personally all my firearms have trigger locks on them, locked in cases, bolt separated, and ammo somewhere else as well. I don't have kids but when I do, I'll make sure that not only do they (the firearms) have secondary locks, but when they are old enough to comprehend language I'll ensure they know the dangers of firearms.

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'll lock and penalize whoever throws this into the fan. So far, no need locking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this hotly debated matter but once this becomes a flame war, those in the argument will get penalized.

deltatux

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Thanks for not locking Tux.

A little education and attention can go a LONG way towards protecting people.....either from others, or from themselves. Life is short enough as is.....

10. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    So sad for the kid, hope he will recover. I can't imagine what the parents are going thru.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Gun triggers are generally designed to be fairly hard to press to avoid stuff like this.

12. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Assuming they're double action triggers, and non-modified.

Self defense guns tend to be like that.

But target guns tend to have single action triggers, and usually on the lighter side, or modified to be extremely/bonkers light.

But with single action you have to know and be strong enough to rack/charge the weapon before it can fire.
    If you've ever charged a pistol with a 20lb slide spring, you know it's not easy... even for an adult.
    The skin on my fingers swells up from how hard the grip needs to be so as to not slip.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, it's a pain. I only have experience with handguns, not target/hunting types.

14. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I was referring to target handguns.
    Stuff like you see at USPSA competitions.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  15. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    The trigger pull on my Remington 700 is very very light, compared to what I am used to (C6, C7, C9)... the first time I fired it I was surprised at how light it was.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Being non gun wise, I have a question.

If you keep a gun for protection, how do you have a gun ready if its got no bullets in and the gun and bullets are locked away in different places?
    Does anyone keep a loaded/partially loaded gun near the bed at night?
    Is this even an issue?

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Partially loaded is the way to go, imo. Or, keep the magazine fairly nearby. If you keep your gun in pieces or hidden locked somewhere it's basically useless for defense. Although, generally speaking guns aren't really *used* for defense. They're more often just a deterrent. Very few thieves in this country pack any form of firearm, nor do they try a home invasion without doing the proper homework first on when the owners are present.

I guess if you live in a seriously low income neighborhood with gangs everywhere, it would be different. But then, who would want kids in that situation -.-

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't know but shouldn't guns be kept in a safe when not in use? Well i think that's rather good idea and that's how it is in Finland if you own guns you put them into safe until you go to the range or clean em or hunting.

Bad parents are bad parents dammit. And someone said something about kitchen knives mine are always stashed away from sight, for good reasons.

edit:
    And gun for protection seems really really paranoid.

19. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Have kids that won't keep out of things that are no business of theirs? Just want that extra reassurance that you can safely keep a loaded gun at hand but not on your person?

http://www.gunvault.com/

It takes about 1-2 seconds extra to have my loaded gun in hand, as compared to no safe at all. I highly recommend it to anyone that has young children in their house, or that lives in any neighborhood prone to burglary etc...

[​IMG]

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah, u keep the gun and the bullets seperate.

gun in the nightstand. bullets in the cupboard above fridge(where I hide my video games. so my neighbor cant find them,).