I miss the Days of DETONATOR DRIVERS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MIXXX, Jul 24, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ahh the days when drivers were just that drivers, none of this bloat software suite stuff i dont care about

2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
  3. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I think im too young for this but it's nice to see and share the xperience of the elders.

4. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    I remember my first nvidia card, geforce gts... giga texel shader. I was the ****! Had just gone from a Katmai 500MHz to Thunderbird and a whopping 1GHz. :banana:

5. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    Ah long gone are the days of cards like the AGP Vid's. Video cards like BFG 5200 slamming COD1 xD , the XFX 9500 Beasting Halflife and Quake and the forgotten legend the 8800GTX BLACK PEARL smashing crysis 1 records xD on the orange flimsy sli bridge connector. God i miss nvidia break threws, where did all the fun go with nvidia 650i/ 680i and 780i motherboards lol.

6. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Actually Detonator driver 30.82 was the best driver ever. Almost any issue users would contacted us for support, just install this driver and the issue would get resolved. It was a magical driver.

7. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Hi Manuel,

I'm afraid this is incorrect. My GTS ran Tribes the best/fastest with the 7.52's... and no metric will change that. :eyebrows: It was such a remarkable leap in performance that I still remember it today.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The best Detonator was 2.08 ;)

9. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    29.something was the best for my Geforce 2 Mx400. It squeezed over 30fps in GTA3 back in 2002.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Before political correctness?

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Then they became Detonator XP. Remember everything ended with XP? Athlon XP...

12. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    As long as there are developers that need a multitude of band-aids provided by the Nvidia/AMD driver teams to spruce up their incompetence and/or laziness in coding, there will always be a steady rise in driver size required.

13. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    let us reminisce in peace plz.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Cool memories of being a kid (later years). Still awesome times.

I remember slowly over time upgrading from G4 MMX 420 to a FX 5700 Ultra.

Then when I had my own funds I'd buy/sell to get something every year to every other. Was fun for the hobby no matter how I look at it.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    You should relay the message to everyone at Nvidia, that you guys made some good memories for people in their hobby.

Even something this simple triggers a good time.:)

And apologies for the double post...coulda sworn I hit copy pasted the quote and hit edit.

Agreed.

Nothing is perfect, of course that does not mean we don't try to fix things. At the same time really the problems don't outweigh the good times in this regard.

(definitely hit edit this time!) :infinity:

I still remember a set in the 70.xx releases that were my favorite. I think I remember a something .52 or .58 I can't recall altogether.

Here it is!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.77

Detonator 77.77! no .50 at all.

Release Highlights:
    Support for GeForce 7800 GT
    SLI support for GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 LE
    New SLI rendering mode (SLI Antialiasing) for increased antialiasing performance
    Broader SLI optimizations and validation for the latest games
    Resolved SLI Antialiasing issues with some applications and generating screen shots. For a full list of other issues resolved, please view the driver release notes.
    Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support

Nice list of improvements, and the arrival of the 7800GT!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

16. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Man, absolutely true!! I still remember holding on to that driver like forever. :D

17. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    No way, I don't miss them at all. Drivers today are way better, it's extremely rare that I ever have an actual driver issue unless it's a new game and I'm on an old driver.

Compatibility across video card generations is also way better than it used to be. I really hate the old Voodoo/TNT/Matrox and early Geforce days...screw that. I think nostalgia has mold growing on anyones brain that want's to ever go back to them.

18. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Heh! Yes and no. I had good memories. Remember back then unless you were fairly well off you couldn't record gameplay. Fraps and whatever killed your FPS with single core processors.

I do admit so many things are better today.

Look how todays technology you can record or stream without any performance hit. Though, who would have thought back then game streaming would be a big thing on both Twitch and Youtube.

I also remember this forum used to bitch back then when cards became bigger than 1 slot. Now you have 2 - 2.5 and 3 slot cards but nobody seems to bat an eye. :D

19. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070
    23.11 4 life!

20. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    YAY VulpineGL Mark !

SO much YAY....