Valve Source 2 Engine - Rumor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Kinda my point. Source came out TEN YEARS AGO.

When it was originally released it was pretty amazing tech all round, and yes there have been new build released pretty frequently over those ten years, but it's still ten years old.

I guess I expected a brand new game engine, not a rehash which doesn't really do anything except allow DX 11 and 64 bit. All this rehash does is make it so Gabe can coin up for the current generation of consoles and get licence royalties for the next ten years for the least amount of expenditure.

Why not release a new engine? If you can compile a Left for Dead map into source 2 (as suggested by the video) then this is not a new engine whosoever, and is probably why it is called Source#2 and not something else, like fried eggs with brown sauce.

Geddit? sauce?

Might not be funny, but it's more entertaining than calling Source 2 a new game engine.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

I don't really see why they'd need to release a completely new engine. They've obviously done a number of modifications over that decade. Look at CS: Source vs CS:Go, or even Dota 2. Hell even Source has code in it from GoldSource. They've also had no problems adapting the engine to suit their needs.

Source 2 as it stands is the most significant departure from Source since it's inception (probably why it's called 2). It's more then 64bit and DX11. It's multicore aware and scales well to at least 8 cores. The lighting system has been reworked. It has a new console (VConsole2) and the hammer editor is completely rewritten and actually useful now. Until a full game is actually released on it, it's hard to say what they've changed. The editor was built to compile source maps probably because Valve doesn't want to make major changes to previous games but going forward want to use the tools to add to them. Switching Dota 2's engine at this point would be game breaking.

Anyway I don't really see why every company should just 'rewrite" their engines. It costs a ton of money to develop those and they are pretty modular. UE4, before it was stripped, had a completely GI based lighting system. The current system still got upgraded but you don't need a rewrite to do stuff like that. And for the most part, sounds inputs and stuff like that aren't going to change much.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That doesn't make any sense, i highly doubt they are going for a new engine to shove it down developers throats like UE does, if they had that mindset, source engine would be in a lot more games, not mainly just valve and indie developers.

The picture i provided showed, as far as we can tell, the difference between source and source 2, and that was i believe a year ago, so i'm not exactly sure what it is you are complaining about? i haven't watched the video, and i won't, due to no one knows what they are talking about as no one from valve is really talking at all right now and is only speculation and what people "believe" they know (that, and i have a 10gb per month cap, videos are a no go) so i'm really not sure how "just DX11 and 64bit" somehow makes them possible to do that much of a difference (picture above)

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If there is a new Half Life it will be Half Life 3, not an episode. These days the episodes would be considered as DLC's. It's only a name anyway, realistically you could have the exact same game and call it Half Life 3 instead of HL2 Episode 3, with some more game on the end to make it longer.

Apparently they have been working on it for a while, changing play styles and other things. It would be interesting to see all the maps they've thrown away, they should release that as episode 3 and release Half Life 3 as intended. Went happen though. Another excuse for they're not being a new game is they say technology isn't where it needs to be for the game to have the experience. Of course, it's just a poor excuse.

What you're likely to see is a game that is quite different, dumbed down and stifled to run on consoles. Since previous games aren't on consoles the storyline will be modified, we'll end up with an inferior game. So, the worst thing for Half Life is a console release.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I guess it's analogous to when you install Windows9 to have to install dos, then upgrade to windows 3.1, then 3.11, then win 95, then win98 and so on and so forth until you finally have upgraded to Win9.

It's not exactly moving forward, is it?

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh what? How is that a valid analogy? You're not upgrading anything. That's an awful analogy. They are writing an engine not installing software and upgrading it. And using previous code doesn't hamper you from rewriting large portions of the engine. And it definitely is moving forward. Bad Company 2, same engine as Battlefield 4. Half Life 1 - same engine/code has Dota 2 and CS:GO. Morrowind, same codebase as Skyrim. Crysis 3 arguably the best looking game of all time has code from Farcry in it.

And in the meantime there have been plenty of new engines coded from scratch. None of them have exceeded any type of visual threshold that set them apart from ones that were ugpraded over time. You've mentioned snowdrop here, it's not being launched in a game till mid 2015 and even now the only thing that sets it apart is the number of detailed assets the designers are putting in the game. GI lighting is already in the Cry Engine and the snow shader thing (i forget the technical name) everyone talks about is in UE4. Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and I love Massive and all their games so I'm looking forward to it.. but the fact that they are writing the engine from scratch gives it no advantage over any of the other engines, aside from that they can develop it for the game they want.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Valve said a few years ago that they're giving up on the whole episode concept. So yes, what you say about the upcoming Half-Life being HL3 and not EP3 is true.

Valve WILL be showing off a NEW game in just a few days at Gamescom. It will be either Left 4 Dead 3 or Half-Life 3.... or both.

Gabe's comments about the technology not being where it needs to be can be translated as saying "We wont release Half-Life 3 until the Steambox is ready because they're launching together"

Source 2 only works on 64-bit, DirectX 11 hardware. That means games like Half-Life 3 and L4D3 will ONLY be on PC, PS4, Xbone, Steambox. And that's a good thing since ALL those systems are x86-64 architecture and the porting process is very simple between platforms.

Also, there is no way in hell Valve is going to release a half-assed, dumbed down, consolized Half-Life 3. Valve is not Bioware, EA, Ubisoft, Crytek, or any one of countless companies that are constantly releasing games ever few months. They are the only company I can think of that has a flawless record of releasing a properly finished product every time. They don't have some company like EA imposing deadlines on when it must be released *cough* Mass Effect 3 *cough*... and the fact that when valve was asked about the release date for any of these games, they respond... "When it's done". As much as I hate waiting... i'm glad Valve does not impose deadlines on itself.

9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The only thing you seem concerned about is graphics and the renderer is only ONE part of the engine and yes it is getting an upgrade.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    HL1 is on PS2

HL2 is on Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3

HL2: Episode 1 is on Xbox 360 and PS3

HL2: Episode 2 is on Xbox 360 and PS3

And i could go on with Valve developed games, but since your post is about half-life i'll leave it there

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I very much doubt that will be true. I mean, i'm extremely surprised that they put DX11 in source 2, i thought it'd be sure be OpenGL or something else altogether. However, they have put all this time and money into making their games work on Linux and OSX, and to all of the sudden say "oops, sorry no more games for you because we have a new engine that doesn't work on those systems..." makes the most illogical sense of anything. They'll be on OSX and Linux, in my mind there is no doubt about that