Crossfire, microstutter and frame limiting

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Shaneus, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Hey guys,

I couldn't find a thread or post specific enough with the information I'm looking for, so hopefully someone can answer a few things quickly for me!

Firstly: Limiting frames whilst using CFX to reduce microstutter. Is there a specific number i should use? As in, refreshrate, refreshrate+1, refreshrate-1... can't seem to find a solid answer.

Secondly: What's the difference between D3DOverrider, RTSS and the MSI OSD server included with Afterburner? They all seem to have the same GUI and features. Given I use Afterburner anyway for overclocking, should I just use the one with that?

To be honest, I'm more than a little excited with the (to me) revelation of using a framerate limiter to reduce microstutter so if I can find out the recommended settings and software, I'd be stoked.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    RTSS = unsupported

The OSD built into Afterburner is the same one used for RivaTuner.

The exact framerate limit you set should make no difference so long as both cards can render the same number of frames consistantly. Framerate limiting will not force the cards to operating in "sync" with each other so, it may not correct micro-stuttering anyway (this also wasn't the intention behind framerate limiting anyway).

3. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    excellent thread title. ATI should have addressed all these problems long ago IMO - BF3 without vsync in crossfire runs worse than single card for me, massive tearing and variable framerate. (i have to play with vsync on)

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I use 59 for my fps limit as it gives less tearing than 60 for me.
    60 hz monitor.

With crossfire you really want triplebuffering forced (Radeonpro or D3Doverider)
    Set your flip queue to 0 if you use triplebuffering, it does the same function, only in a less efficient way so best to disable it.
    AnAndtech : Triplebuffering , Why we love it
    This article explains why multi GPU systems should always use triplebuffering even when you dont vsync.

So you may wanna try limit to 1 below refresh, triplebuffering ON, flip Queue OFF

5. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    I just downloaded Rivatuner and installed it, but can't get D3DOverrider to run! After I click the .exe, nothing happens, it is NOT in my System tray either. Just the process is running. Tried WinXP and Vista compatibility mode, did not work :(
    I've Win7 64bit here, how can I get it to work?
    Edit: WTF after 5 minuits that I spent searching google for fixes the program actually started :bigsmile:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    actually in BF3 while using vsync i found a significant reduction in input lag by disabling triple buffering

7. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I bet you did, as you are probably running ingame render ahead and driver flip queue at default eg 3 frames, with triplebuffering on top of this its a mixed frame buffer of 6.

Try disabling render ahead in game AND set flip queue to 0, THEN enable 'proper' triplebuffering with radeonpro.

Give it a try see if you like it, i much prefer triplebuffering to render ahead/flip queue, feels smoother with less slow downs.

Edit: i need to rephrase this last sentence.
    I prefer triplebuffering as it gives all the smoothness of renderahead 3, yet with the ability to discard uneeded frames- so it maintains its smoothness at low/high fps. Renderahead 3 feels laggy at high fps.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. Pantsu

Pantsu Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Personally I didn't find changing render ahead in BF3 to make much of a difference. To reduce micro-stutter (and perhaps tearing too) you'll have to set the framerate limit lower than what you normally get. This is of course a bit problematic since you'd need to limit it at min FPS to remove all stutter. If you set the limit to avarage FPS the game will start stuttering in the worst possible moments, i.e. when it's below avarage.

9. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Cheers for the tips, ric et al.! Had a play around with the triple-buffering (seems that's the most important), frame limiting and flip queue, managed to get a fair result from that just by hittiing 59fps. Still got a little tearing after that, but then enabling vsync brought it into line with only the slightest hint of microstutter.

For some reason I had a feeling that limiting frames was meant to be used instead of rather than as well as vsync, but maybe not. This was all in iRacing mind you... deliberately picked a game that I knew wouldn't tax the system just to be sure that any settings I played with weren't restricted by hardware as well as the setting itself.

Again, thanks for the pointers :)

10. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti@2.0Ghz
    I use two 5850 crossfired.
    To avoid microsutters with the game pCARS (with in-game vsync enabled) I use MSI Afterburner and set the value 60 for the frame limiter.

And guess what? It works fine :)
    Don't know why...