AMD Catalyst (Modified Build)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by TwL, May 29, 2010.

?

Should the Official INF be modified or not ?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2010.
  1. Yes (I want to go through registry and copy GUIDs to .reg file and add changes separately.)

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. No (Functions should be editable as usual in CCC straight after install.)

25 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. Both (I want to have official INF in install, separated modified INF & 'Functions.reg' as choice)

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Ok, updated entire first post.

This will beat the crap out of earlier ones :)

@Hans Dampf

dropped this message about what there should be since a lot of people will do more harm to their systems while reading it even while you would of probably
    understand the concept.

hmm, anyway, you could get the new driver pack on first page before the subject on PM.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    TwL im using a 32 bits os and the 'extra_functions.reg'-file, my question is i need to re download this last build u do to correct applies the values of Flip Queue?

P/D: release a 32 bits version :approval:

Bye and thanks fot the work u do

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @marcosamerio

probably not, but if it is in the driver the yeah it will be applied otherwise it will just do nothing.

@Hans Dampf

Let me know how the benchmark go yesterday, if it's exact same as 10.3b (original was) on settings. It should in all sense be now a lot higher.

@commonly

Seems that after now 3 set of drivers modded together we FINALLY got:
    * DirectComputing & OpenCL Functional (10.3b)
    * Video section working as should (10.4b)
    * Performance is/(should be) as it should be (v10.5a)

heh, quite an job for fixing someone else crappy coding, but well have to admit now we really damn need an official support next to advance to anywhere.

Anyway, mirror it to 4 mirrors instructions & download at:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322616

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. luv2sd

luv2sd New Member

GPU:
    MSI HD 5870 Lightning
    Do I have PhysX enabled? I don't see the PhysX option in the nvidia control panel so I can't tell if it's enabled or not...

MSI HD 5870 Lightning as a main card and MSI GTX 275 Twin Frozr as a dedicated PhysX card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Did some interesting PhysX testing

@luv2sd

(Before you proceed. Like you to know that according to your screenshot PhysX is enabled as it is default enabled on 257.15. you will not get over 20FPS with 30k of particles EVER on that test with an CPU.)

It's a bit tricky, if you do have 'fake' or display attached to NVIDIA card on 257.15 it will be enabled automatically (later on how to reenable) on all other driver versions it will be disabled unless you patch the physX and enable it with Guru3D PhysX tweaker 1.0.

So, If you now have situation it is disabled and cannot use control panel to enabled do this:
    1. if you haven't applied the 'PhysX Patch' do so if you do not have display or 'fake' to attach to card or driver is anything else than 257.15 beta.
    2. Download Physx tweaker v1.0
    3. use the tool to 'disable PhysX'.
    4. open device manager > disable NVIDIA adapter > reenable NVIDIA adapter
    5. use the tool again 'enable PhysX'.
    6. reboot

Test the physX now again on Fluidmark v1.1.1 > if the line states 'Hardware' it is enabled as should.

6. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, wanted to do some Forceware testing while at it to see what can do PhysX fastest on exact same equipment. here's how it went:

[​IMG]
    (Test Setup in all benchmarks)

All Performance tests and CPU utilization tests were performed on exact same equipment/system with 9800 GTX (128 SP old 65nm edition).
    NOTE: I made an mistake accidentally had 4 emitters on '257.15 beta' 2 run rounds. However, that shouldn't matter as all tests
    were run at same particle count.

Resolution: 1920x1200x60hz
    Particle count on all tests: 80000
    In each test Core/Shared/Memory clocks were dropped to: 525Mhz/1295Mhz/825Mhz
    (to be sure that card is lowest clocks & driver improvement is not about clocks highest-end)

Forceware 196.34 beta:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (2 run rounds to no error exact same setup 5 minute cooling time for card)

CPU Utilization:
    lowest: 8
    stable: 10-11
    highest: 16-17
    PhysX bug: 126000 particles
    Cons:
    * You cannot unattach Display
    (or it is extremely hard you would have to disable > Patch > reenable > reboot)

Forceware 197.45 WHQL:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Run PhysX patched v1.03 without display attached)

CPU Utilization:
    lowest: 7
    stable: 9-12
    Highest: 15
    PhysX bug: 130120 particles
    cons:
    * Lose ability to see NVIDIA GPU Usage
    * Without adapter lose ability to see NVIDIA Memory Usage

Forceware 257.15 beta:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Run PhysX patched v1.03 without display attached)

CPU Utilization:
    lowest: 7
    stable: 9-12
    Highest: 15
    PhysX bug: 130500 particles
    Cons:
    * Lose ability to see NVIDIA GPU Usage
    * Without adapter lose ability to see NVIDIA Memory Usage

-------------------------------

A bit new information on GPU Usage (at least on me):

Rivatuner devel says that only GF 200 series and above has GPU Usage detection. While I can get it working clean on 196.34beta I'd say that is clean bull<backside> crappy coding then on Forceware 197/257 series detection. As this feature was not disabled on old models of G92(8800/9800 65nm cores) OR even G84(8600GT/GTS) cores to that matter. (How the hell can an feature work on lower driver versions, if it would not be in newer maybe in another style, but it's there for sure as is the 'Memory Usage' which is read from 'Display' by tools like Rivatuner where you would notice detection missing on patched v1.03 PhysX as display is faked and not in the card).

Topic got closed quite fast: Guru3D Forums: GPU Usage Detection [NVIDIA]

To fix this I will do my best to get proper DLLs and drop them to some mirror. Hopefully I will find the correct ones would be damn great to get the 257.15 with everything to work.

7. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    and here we go.. Took me 4 hours to test run, but wth.. results are what matter. GPU usage now working correctly, but this is absolute insanity. Anyway, I am going to write on first post instructions and new recommended Forceware v197.57 beta.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322616

Screen on 197.57 beta functional:
    [​IMG]
    (o and the green crap on benchmark is a bug on FluidMark while GPU-Z is running just, if someone wonders.)

---------------------------

To note also that I found bug on 'Final build' drivers.
    Although, very minor bug will appear it seems exactly with 1 application Fluidmark 1.1.1 while AA is forced through Catalyst. This is known 10.4b driver bug sadly I cannot fix it, but if that bothers you can always use the 'Original build' or 'experimental build'/'update 1' from post below first post this bug does not exist on those.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    do these work with oem or engineering versions of the ati 5870?

9. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    only the 'experimental' will work on that at second post. depending on the driver which the pack was based, but as for issues in experimental build there's an issue on Catalyst Video/3D preview screens (all the features works on actual video/3D/OpenGL etc, just the previews inside are bad 'bug in official catalyst 10.5 & 10.5a driver') which was corrected on Final.

Should probably build one for OEM cards specifically, but as for now it looks like more drivers I test more crap I find on them. Could need something new to work with before I continue build (which hopefully I don't have to and AMD/ATI would actually fix something else than 10% on crysis improvement for a change) :)

Anyway, if you ask me you would be better off with v10.3 WHQL or v10.4 WHQL (v10.3 being faster & has still properly added DirectCompute/OpenCL, v10.4 actually has functional catalyst).

-edit-

@commonly

I forgot to mention on PhysX/NVIDIA/GPU Usage Detection subject that, if you are unsure does your NVIDIA hardware support GPU detection.

1. Open MSI Afterburner Search either 'GPU# Memory usage' OR 'GPU# Usage' for NVIDIA GPU. (Like in Screenshot: HERE)
    2. If you find it it's supported.

:micro:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  10. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Corrected the 'Uninstallation'-process now on main post to include nessessary information needed BEFORE you uninstall & which order TO uninstall as Secondary(NVIDIA) should always be uninstalled first. Also how to identify 'PhysX/NVIDIA/GPU Usage Hardware support' before uninstalling.

So, saves those of you guys the trouble who doesn't have the feature to simply take option #01 under installation.

-Update-

Included now final fix with-in PhysX Hybrid Mod 1.03 to main post. Seems that it is actually possible to fully qualified hack the display to also get GPU/Memory Usage detection to work.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Alright,

added now fully qualified WHQL driver as Final Build v2.0 WHQL Online. New in this package:

Official (changes):
    * Driver version is now v8.732.1.0000 (v10.5 WHQL Catalyst)
    * WHQL Signing is intact (This will qualify to Futuremark Vantage/3DMark benchmarking)
    * The earlier Physics/PhysX bug on 'Final Build' is now gone.
    * Hopefully we still got performance improvements over v10.3b and v10.4b used in earlier builds.
    * Fixed chain: 'atiumdag.dll', 'atiu9pag.dll', 'atiumdva.dll' + 'cccprev.exe', 'MMACEPrev.exe' combination functionality to get 3D/Video Preview windows working inside catalyst with new driver v8.732.1.0000.
    * OEM/Engineer edition of cards support now included.

Unofficial (changes):

* Corrected FlipQueue enable for specific v8.32.1.0000 driver

Bugs:

* Mosquito noise Reduction controls to control panel (Found to be UNFUNCTIONAL in this version. They changed something on Catalyst v10.5 to block this function)
    * Deblocking x264/H.264 HD video controls to control panel (Found to be UNFUNCTIONAL in this version. They changed something on Catalyst v10.5 to block this function)

----

heh, not a build there wouldn't be something, but this time it is just 2 extra features (NOTE: which you can activate still read main page).

12. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    32 bits version ? :) i hope u release someday

Bye bro

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    No, since x86 will not suffer same problems.

@commonly

and what is said above I am atm hotfixing here. There was an problem which was causing all the new 'bugs' and also installer had to be changed. Will be online in a min or too as soon I have installed it couple times and see everything is working as should this time.

-update-

There is an huge issue on the 'Final Build 2.0' I build for support WHQL signing and fix the Physics bug as the v10.5 WHQL driver itself has huge damn bug in it. No matter how I install it it would still bug.

So, only solution was to remove it. As for now use the Final Build. It's working very well.

I also test drived the v10.6 Preview which came up today, but that seems to have even more issues. Wonder, if there still would be something useful, but have a little trust on that since the EXE isn't even packed by ATI.

14. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Hi TwL, two last questions

1) any recomendation of wich version install drivers?
    2) i need redownload the extra function reg that u launch in the last build to activate that 2 extra options?

Bye and thanks for reply

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Just use the Final on main post with instructions there are(/same as before) for now. Only bug in it is the 1 AA bug with 'FluidMark 1.1.1' otherwise it works flawless.

I was trying to build clean, but as said there came up problems with the v10.5 WHQL driver itself has huge bug. Like the 'experimental' v10.5a (hotfix release) had before the final build. The functions reg is with that package and above mentioned mosquito denoise & deblocking does not affect that driver set as this bug was only caused by 10.5 WHQL blocking the functions.

If I can I will fix better set, but looks bad as there is absolutely no way to use 10.5 WHQL drivers as they simply doesn't work.

Here is the last edition of 'Extra Functions' & cleaner cmd separated:
    Extra Functions & Cleaner (MD5: 8c20d124a76abc5c1ae1c02373f72df5)
    (can be used with any driver package)

-UPDATE-

Seems I found "solution"/"Circle Around" to last bug there was which is listed.

Solution: Press 'R' inside the 'Fluidmark v1.1.1' which will change the particle color. Seems bug is only with yellow/brown particles and nobody likes yellow or brown :3eyes:

16. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Before I install this, does it work for 32 bit and single cards? If so, then i'm in.

17. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    nope, it won't it is meant for x64 only.

Single cards yeah it'll fix some issues and is up-to-date with anything out there, atm. 32-bit systems doesn't suffer same problems.

if next question 'Do I plan to support 32-bit' I do not.

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Well when you do i'll check you out. Know of anything that will run smooth, making me not want to shoot myself?

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Well, officially? by this rate bugs and ATI drivers coming up I'd calculate that to be near year 2015.

but this package still will remain x64. :)

I'd drop in the 'New 10.6 beta' just posted to test probably or go for certain good edition like v10.4b(might take a bit to dig up, but it's probably best there is for performance/functionality wise).

20. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Hi All,

I don't have dedicated GF for PhysX, but I'm planning to buy one. I've been researching a subject a little and came across this modded Catalyst/PhysX suite. As for having a display attached to GF card - is it possible to use THIS adapter to simulate monitor connected to GF card permanently?

Has anyone tried it?