My Painful RMA Begins

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chastity, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Delivered On:
    Tuesday, 03/28/2017 at 11:55 A.M.

Left At:
    Inside Delivery

Received By:
    KEN VOONG

2. MaNiAc4LIFE

MaNiAc4LIFE Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 NITRO
    Damn still no reply from them, this is definitely going to be my last Sapphire card, ASUS cross-ships for free most of the time if you ask enough or tell them you cant be without a computer.

Same here on the march 2018 expiration.

3. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    this seems to be a driver issue, i was having zero heat issues on 16.11.5, after a build update windows installed newer drivers, i decided to try the drivers a few people said fixed wattman for them.....7.x.x noticed higher temps right away..even after ddu thats not changed..its very very odd... also discovered that forcing cf profiles (like 1x1 or afr) causes many games to black screen, so i cant play ESO with CF enabled... or dirtybomb, or or or...

cant force cf for nonprofile games with newer drivers, a bug i didnt know about till i read a former driver team member (test team) who quit and was backed by a few others who quit, amd apparently changed something major about their driver dev team, cf issues, like not being able to force profiles or enable cf for non-profile games(reg flag ignored) are ignored, the wattman 290/390 range of cards bug is still with us....the last decent driver was 16.11.5...its almost like they are punishing those of us who didnt rush out and grab 480's or fury's..... :/

4. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    btw, i started the **** with sapphire, and was denied rma because the didnt forward the info to AM, i tried for 2 weeks to get them to treat me decent....they refused and told me i could pay 25bucks for a replacement fan i could install myself....they use cheap ****ty fans now days, i took one that failed apart...they use this very thin, fairly soft plastic washer/gromet thing to keep the fan spindle straight in the sleeve baring, it wears out within a couple years or so, the rear most fan(center of the system) on both my 290's where very very wobbly, thankfully, after some work with a soldering iron, i used the 1 good fan from the fan bracket i replaced to replace the rear most fan (pita, had to use cables from the 2 dead fans to make a way to patch it all togather, but it works great..)

im not gonna be buying sapphire again unless i get an amazing deal..then, the extended 3rd party warranty really feels like a good idea...sapphire make getting an rma far to hard...and dealing with their rma people at AM...is like dealing with typical autistic aholes far to often...

i was within warranty when the rear most fan FELL OFF the 290x, prompting me to start the rma process with sapphire, who delayed the ticket till warranty was expired then failed to forward info till i sent them another ticket, then, AM claimed they didnt get the email i sent (without error, confirmed by my sent mail tags on gmail), they just refused to actually treat me right...not a fan of sapphire anymore...they really lost me...this after owning sapphire 7500/9600/9800pro(unlocked card),x800pro vivo(flashed to xt pe), x1900xt, 5770, 2x6870, 2x7870, 2x290x....(had nvidia cards along the way, but these are just the cards i owned with sapphires name on them....)

im at the point....i want to choke somebody at amd.... worst part is, these 290/390 cards are still on the market being sold, despite the fact amd know there are serious driver bugs.(bloody wattman pisses me right the f-off...)

its ****ing weird how some people apparently dont have issues with 390's and wattman but huge numbers of us actually do have serious issues...(i dont want to run clock blocker to keep my cards from dropping their memory to 150mhz over and over...but..thats what i have to do...total suckage...if want to run higher then 16.11.5 that is...)

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @PF Prophet: I tried the 16.11.5 too before sending it back, same issue. It truly is a hardware problem, and I can see how it may have passed QA testing since you really need to slap a full load on it to get it to trip regularly. No word yet on my RMA status, and I will call them on Monday for an update/bitchfest. :D

6. MaNiAc4LIFE

MaNiAc4LIFE Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 NITRO
    Received

Well just called them and he was very pleasant said my replacement should be out by Thursday I just hope mine works. From the sounds of yours I'll have to really stress the replacement before I accept it

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Got an email asking me to call the tech. Why he just can't call me is asinine....

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    UPDATE: Spoke to Tony. They did their testing, and they find nothing wrong. We discussed my troubleshooting, and he's agreed to replace it again. Discussed my issues, and he will seek approval for a 480. If bot approved by AMD, then will replace with another 390.

On a side note, he mentioned that a 590 replacement won't be available until June. :D :banana:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. MaNiAc4LIFE

MaNiAc4LIFE Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 NITRO
    oh wow that makes me want to break my other 390 after june XD
    thx for the update

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    AMD turned down my request for a 480 replacement. Awaiting return of a 390.

11. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    yeah, why give you a card that can use up-to-date drivers when they can send you a card that sure seems to be EOL support wise?

12. Atazoth

Atazoth Guest

GPU:
    Trident Z RGB 32GB
    Good luck!

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even my little bucket of junk got performance improvements with the latest driver. That's SO unfair to say.

14. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    unfair....when the 290/390 wattman bug has been around since my bday last year with no official "known bug" or even really an apparent attempt to clear it up....or even a way to roll a driver without wattman if they cant get it working...

the 16.11.5's files are dated my bday last year....anything later, every 290/390(295 as well) user i know or have talked to has discovered they cant even set a custom fan ramp...or just set a game profile to kick fans to 100...without wattman locking the ram to 150...thats support?

add to that the uvd bug, thats been a problem since my 7870oc days....never fixed....

i just dont see how this could be considered them taking support for these products seriously anymore.... why fix problems with hardware that you are replacing on the market...or...again, that really is how it feels to alot of us... still can find the 390x pretty easy online to buy new.... but.... cant use the latest drivers if you want to be able to tweak clocks/fans/etc

also, something reported on amd's forums and confirmed, wattman dosnt support downclocking on most sku's,

https://community.amd.com/thread/213582

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...etting_the_300mhz150mhz_bug/?ref=search_posts

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's a bug. On the other hand a friend's custom 290x's do work fine with Wattman.

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The wattman issues aren't isolated to Hawaii GPUs, I've been having issues with wattman on and off myself has have other Fiji GPU owners, it's something to do with temp files mucking up the profiles as far as I know, Polaris users also have the same issues.

17. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    You know right?

I had issues with it my RX 480 (Created my own custom bios which works better then any software overclocking anyhow, so did not need wattman or afterburner or anything else)

I did the same thing on my R9 290s custom bios.

Now I am having major issues with it my HD 7770 (RX 480 is off for RMA)

Hmm so yeah that is not support haha...it may not work right with the HD 7770 but it is being added to what a 6 or 7 year old card?

Also note Win 10 Creator's Update is breaking Crossfire left and right and is also WDDM 2.2. We all go through growing pains when MS changes WDDM. Other issues also with it for graphics on both sides not just AMD.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    After opening the wattman it takes about 10 seconds to read the writing on the wall which says:

UNFINISHED. LOOK, BUT DO NOT TOUCH

19. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    LOL However the issue is even if you do not accept the warning for Wattman it is still working behind the scenes with other 3rd party overclocking software. So even if you are not using it ...you still are.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I told them Wednesday to ship me my replacement. They processed it yesterday... ugh. Arrives Monday.