GTX 660 sucks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by greg1993, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    GTA IV is a ****ty console port which will even run badly on high end hardware. I am running GTA IV ENB mods here and get hardly 25-30 FPS while sometimes the 660 TI is only used 60%-70%.

Forget it. 660TI is a good card, especially overclocked.

2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    It only uses that amount of resources because it's a cpu bound game, you will get limited by your cpu in some areas, while in another where you have more textures etc you will eventually get to 100% of the gpu.

If you change that q6600 3.6 to 4770k OC you will have a pretty big improvent and it will use a lot more of the gpu as the bottleneck will be lower.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1.Your CPU sucks , I used to have a Q8200 and it's a joke when it comes to recent games titles ...
    2.If you were aiming at games like GTA 4 , which also sucks big time , you should have considered a 670/680 ... 660 is a budget card (with its 196 bit vram) , accept it or not !
    3.I use i7 3770k / msi 680GTX oc and wasn't even happy with some games like Max Payne 3 !!! = bad games optimization (garbage console ports)...

Return it if you can , and aim for a 670 oc or 680...Make sure you have a good PSU

4. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    What?So, you are saying his cpu is bad but you advise him to buy a better gpu?!No comments.

His next step should be going for Haswell, 4570K and overclock the hell of it and of course a good PSU.

5. Crash

Crash Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560 OC 1024 MB
    i've ran GTA IV before, it was good. however you have to download the latest patch to fix the graphics problem. Otherwise you'll get terrible experience.

Last time, i ran it on x3 455 3.3 Ghz and 9800 GTX 1GB DDDR3 smoothly. Considering my hardware are old school, yours should run better.

6. Zarich

Zarich Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GC 670
    It ran perty good on my 5850 with shadows on low.

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Yeah, some games are just not meant to be played all maxed out just because the devs put there the option to use it.Just lower the settings a bit and be happy.

8. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    You're the second one today who wants to give me "advice" how bad the 660 TI is - this is pure nonsense!

My memory is stable overclocked to +580 in AB which amounts to 172 Gb/s versus 194 GB/s on the 670. This difference in memory bandwidth compared to the 670 is basically non existent when you overclock your mem 20%.

Furthermore my 660 TI runs at core 1258 compared to some stock 670 which clock below. An OCed 660 TI is therefore very well faster/on par than a stock 670 and can even tackle a overclocked 670.

The funny thing is that overclocking the memory on a 670 (say from 194 GB/s to 220 GB/s) is idiocy since almost no real life scenario would even remotely use that much memory bandwidth. In other words: The benefits of OCing a 660TI are far more than the benefits of OCing a 670 - you can come so close to 670 performance there is basically no difference.

9. flexy

flexy Guest

GPU:
    Riva 128
    Those "leaked" early benchmarks are sobering, will wait for real benchmarks and mature motherboards before making this decision. Of course I could give less for an "improved" IGP.

As for my PSU, I guess from all my components my PSU is the best, although very OLD, it's a 850W TT Toughpower but still one of the best PSUs, but LOUD like a jet under load. (I hate how those TT PSUs turn up their fan under load when I game).

As of NOW (of course it's still too early to say) I think getting a cheap Ivy would be better if Haswell is indeed only marginally better

10. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Sry i must of got confused with your post and the OP...

But it's the same for you and for him as both of you use a cpu socket 775 unless your computer details isn't correct.

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The problems he has are:
    1 - PSU problem (55%)
    2 - CPU problem (40%)
    3 - A bad GPU card (5%)
    One or maybe more of them at the same time, but the PSU change is always welcome.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Interestingly specific.
    How did you come up with that?

13. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    try reinstall OS
    I played GTA with my old PC on max Settings Full HD without AA (AMD Kuma Dualcore@3ghz and a 5770)

for Day-z i put a Nvidia 460 Hawk in and all my games had less FPS then with my ATI, a new Install of Windows 7 fix my fps problems after switch from Red to Green.

14. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    The psu may be darn cheap but i think it's more like this:

98% cpu bottleneck
    1% cheap psu
    1% defect gpu

15. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    i dont think its a PSU problem.]If PSU is a problem then the components shouldn't slow down, they should stop working altogether.

IDK can't help as i haven't played GTA 4, but looks like your having a CPU bottleneck. 2.5 GHZ? man that's low by today's standards..

[​IMG]

your performance should be *atleast* equal to a 570 GTX..

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'm sorry but it's clearly a cpu bottleneck. That cpu is just not good enough. It's choking that gpu.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    GTA IV runs like crap on any PC...try a different game.

18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I definitely agree with this statement...:)

19. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Your problem is your cpu not the gtx660,I had a Q9550 overclocked to 4.ghz with a gtx480 and my cpu was bottle necking my gpu a lot,ever since i upgraded to Sandy bridge almost all games got a big boost in performance running my cpu at the same speed 4ghz it felt like i got a free gpu upgrade.
    Your gtx660 is fine but your cpu is holding back it's performance and GTAIV is not good example to test your gpu it is badly coded and heavily cpu dependent game.
    You should start saving up for a total upgrade and say goodby to your s775 system if you want better performance keep what you can optical drive,and hard drives you will have to buy a new psu,mobo,cpu and ram.
    If you want to check if your GTX660 is performing as it should run the unigine heaven benchmark which is totally gpu dependent and compare the results to other GTX660..

20. greg1993

greg1993 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660
    when i installed windows 8 my ati didn't need me to install any drivers it could just run games without.(i guess windows 8 found drivers on their own? no clue). About the gtx i didn't use the included dvd i downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia. So no i can't find any AMD drivers to uninstal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.