Core/Memory clock indicators and OCing

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Question2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Question2

Question2 Member

Im running MSI afterburner 2.3.1, and i noticed something odd.

My card is the GTX 770M. This supposedly has a core speed of 811 mhz and memory of 1000 mhz.

At first i had trouble getting the card to run at full speed....it was running a game at 135 core clock according to afterburner. I fixed that by changing nvidia power management settings to "prefer maximum performance".

Now when i am running a game, my clocks (according to the right hand side graph) are core 705 and memory 2005.

This is the part that puzzles me. How can it be core 705 mhz, when i supposedly have a core speed of 811? The memory doesn't add up either.

I tried OCing, and set core to +100 and memory to +500. However, the graph only showed the memory increasing, not the core clock, which stayed at 705 mhz. Why is this?

GPU-Z is even more confusing. It has two values : GPU clock and default clock. I assume GPU clock is what the card is currently running. With +100/+500 OC values, GPU clock is 806 and memory is 1252. However i am not seeing this in afterburner. The sensors tab also shows that core clock is stuck at 705.5 mhz...

Can anyone explain what is going on? Is this a bug and afterburner cannot actually OC the core clock?

Edit : Afterburner cant downclock the core clock either, its stuck at 705 for somer eason.

Edit 2 : Testing with furmark shows the core clock will increase to 865 or so, which i suppose includes Nvidia's inbuilt turbo boost or whatever they are calling it.

But with a game open, it only runs at a core clock of 705...

I have already changed the nvidia control panel settings to "prefer maximum performance" so in theory, the card should be running at full speed. This clearly isnt happening though.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Question2

Question2 Member

Isnt this the support forum for MSI afterburner? Seems dead....

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Not dead, nobody just wants to deal with search/documentation haters. There is explicit info telling you that mobile chips are NOT supported right into the software documentation / system requirements section.

4. Question2

Question2 Member

I don't see a sticky called that?

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is reflected in the system requirements section of documentation supplied with software. And it is good practice to peek in minimum system requirements for a software prior to using it.

6. Question2

Question2 Member

I found the problem, which had nothing to do with mobile cards not being supported.

When you move the sliders for core clock in MSI afterburner, it just increases the max turbo boost limit.

If the card does not turbo boost for whatever reason, it always run at core clock or below.