V-Sync Vs. Frame Limiter

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by tw1st, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't own a 120hz monitor, but i'm not sure how tearing would not happen without vsync.
    It should be there.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I haven't seen much tearing with a 120Hz monitor so far, actually I can't remember seeing any.
    IIRC tearing occurs when the framerate drops below the actual refresh rate after being higher than it before. Most of the games I have either stay far below 120fps all the time or they can easily be limited to a spot around 120fps (CoD for example).

3. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    It happens, it's just very hard to notice to be quite honest.

For someone who couldn't play with VSync Off before, I can definitely vouch for 120/144Hz users everywhere.

It's been ~3 months since I've had this BenQ XL2411T, and playing on 144Hz is unlike anything I've experienced before, the tearing is pretty much unnoticeable/nonexistent, feels just as smooth, if not smoother vs 60Hz VSync'ed, without all the drawbacks of course (input lag, etc).

4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I'd rather have 60Hz IPS than 120Hz TN.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm guessing it's less noticeable for different reasons though. On a 60hz monitor, tearing is obvious below 60FPS, so it can't be that it's below 120FPS on a 120hz monitor. I think it has to do with the fact it's twice as fast, so the tearing effect only appears for half the time, and the shift in the frames (the line) would be much less shifted (half as much). At least that is as much as I surmise.

6. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    I also went through the same thing.

Ended up going with the faster panel vs one with perfect color reproduction, 8-10 bit panels, etc.

Not regretting it 1 second.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I have 2, one for work 1 for play, problem solved :)

8. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Vsync + Triple buffering + 120Hz + Renderahead=1 + Limit@119FPS = Gaming Blizz.

Atleast with my TITAN and my Asus VGH236 120HZ in BF3 :)

Edit: What i really want is a 21:9 2560x1080 120Hz IPS Monitor ..........

9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    VSync + Triple Buffering means huge input latency, normally.

As long as you put the framerate limit to a value that can be obtained most of the time neither vsync nor the buffering should be needed.

10. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Then I'm not normal, because I have never experienced this input lag. Not even with my current SLI.

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Might be true ;) Only without additional buffering and without additional frames rendered ahead I got rid of that "unconnected" feeling. It gets even worse with low framerates of course.

It's very apparent in CoD for example.

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I only have this in the game menus. Then it seems like the mouse cursor is lagging behind when vSync is enabled.
    I don't experience this while actually playing, so I use vSync everywhere @ 60fps. This renders limits unnecessary. And i certainly don't understand why you would ever use a 59fps limit with a 60hz refresh rate. The people who do that might unknowingly have their monitors at a 59Hz refresh rate, otherwise that would no doubt be a source for lag, especially when vSync'ed.
    I also have triple buffering enabled where-ever possible, but with these cards the frame rate almost never drops below 60fps, so it's not really needed. I haven't noticed any additional input lag with or without it, though.

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Some game menus lag by themselves, yes, but it's very noticable in a large number of games.

Some may not notice the difference between 60 and 120Hz or different pre-rendered frames settings, vsync on/off, but it's still very noticable in fast games.
    Most of the games that can be played with a controller should be fine with vsync though.

14. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
  15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Apart from Q3 no fast shooters though and many U3 titles (which never feel snappy to me, console ports).

Not going to argue and if you get along with vsync and 60Hz, that's good for you.
    Vsync though is a no-go to me and even 60Hz isn't fun anymore since I've gotten to know 120Hz.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Whether or not you feel the input lag is regardless from it actually being there.
    The more the GPU has to wait to display a frame and the more frames it has to buffer the more delay it has. It's not a debate.

17. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    Is there a reason not to run triple buffering? I'm used to thinking it's something you always use with v-sync, but if it's yet another setting one should be testing with …

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, there's no reason not to run triple buffering. but it doesn't work 100% every time. No matter what, running vsync will equal some input lag in a lot of games. The one thing that pisses me off is that I'm 100% sensitive to these things and I wish I was just numb sometimes and could overlook these things.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    What i would love to see if vsync being controlled become entirely a function of the monitor, so has your refresh rate and fps you get dont mater anymore making the effect of the FPS dropping to multiples of your refresh rate a thing of the past if gpu cant keep up but not sure if that even possible.

Even if was possible i sure people would cry latency issues

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah that would be cool. But I think we would need a new means of connection between the monitor and the PC. I don't think there is enough information exchanged between the two to make that happen.