help with file/printer sharing

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by tombraidersux51, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I'm trying to network two of my PC's at home and share files, maybe a printer aswell. I have set them both up for networking (both are running Windows XP Pro) but I can't seem to access anything on one PC from the other. I go to network places; 'add a network place,' and nothing is detected. It can't view any workgroup PC's either

Any suggestions?

2. vic_20

vic_20 Master Guru

GPU:
    AOpen 6600GT
    Can the machines ping each other??

Any firewalls switched on?

Did you use the setup wizard - it should lead you through it and give you an indication if it's success on the last machine...

3. The only firewalls there are built in to windows. I did use the setup wizard, but it did not tell me if the connection succeded. I will attemp a ping. Thanks for your help.

4. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Check and adjust firewall settings.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800gt PCIe, w/ Zalman VF700-cu
    did you right click and go to properties on ea. drive and enable sharing w/ full access, then do the same w/ the directories and files you want to share.

6. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    first question would be are u going comp. to comp. or comp. to router.....

If you are going from comp. to comp. a regular lan cable wont work, it needs to be a crossover cable to get the computers to talk to each other......

then u can use the network wizard with the rest........

Any other questions, just ask.......:D