NVIDIA overclocking,tweaking and cooling....All info you need.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by funkymonkey, Jan 5, 2004.

1. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Overclocking an overclocked card

Can anyone tell me how to overclock an already overclocked card?7800 GTX GPU clock 460Mhz RAM 1300Mhz, I'm a scared guttless newbee, teach me the ways of the force! I must have perfection.:eek: :D

2. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    Explanations Please

Hey ppl I'm new here, and kind of new to the whole overclocking/video card scene. I know I have a ****ty computer, and I will hopefully be able to build a new and much better one by the end of this year. But anyways, I'm trying to overclock my MX4000 to be able to play Halo with a decent fps. If that's not possible, I'd like to try finding my card's limits anyways. This is my first time overclocking, so could someone please tell me what artifacts are and what do you mean by black/white dots? I've already overclocked 20mhz on both the core and memory, and decided straighten things out. Before I even upped the clocks, I ran the last test on 3dmark 2001 and I guess I saw some white pixels on the horse's body while it turned. After the 20Mhz, they were still there, and they showed a bit more frequently. If I turn on 2xAA they'll disappear, but if I put it on 4xAA there'll be more of them. I'm guessing I'm not suppose to turn on AA at all right? But yeah is that where I should stop or what? Thanks a lot to anyone who can help! :)

3. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Knowing when to stop OVERCLOCKING

Hey there kool moo,

Your timing couldn't be better, 3 minutes ago i found my 7800 GTX's limit on the core but not the ram. I experienced big black
    blots/squares and then aborted the 3Dmarks05, wow i just about
    wet my pants. The 7800 cost me $600 big ones, i'm still shaking no kidding!! O my anyways i would back off by 10mhz when you see those black or white anything because your about to burn your card for good. I will tell you your games will never stess
    your card that much, the stress test in 3dmarks05 is going to make your graphics card cry big time to the limit! As for upgrading
    your pc i highly recommend on an AMD processer, i bought a Intel p4 3Ghz and am sorry i did that! For one thing AMD cpu's
    are cheaper than an Intel of the same speed, also you'll notice
    faster framerates with a AMD than the Intel. Go to toms hardware.com then go to cpu charts and there you can compare
    any Intel vs. AMD cpu and really see the huge differance in frame
    rates in doom3 & unrealchamp 04. As for turning your AA settings
    during the stress test that will make it run to hot! AA really makes
    you card have a hart attack, get sli then turn up AA all the way.
    Hope this helps,see you....

4. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    Overclocking.....

Hey there,

When you tell us to overclock by 10MHZ at a time, is this with all or some graphics effects turned on such as AA & AF?? Also with my card overclocked with effects turned off during 3Dmarks05 what happens when i play a game with the effects on? How will i know if when playing doom3 with effects on will burn my card right? Do i begin overclocking with all effects on or off? THANKS:confused: :eek3: :puke:

5. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    Thanks for the input. I know I need a system upgrade and that's why I'm building a new in a few months. But I just want to know if I can keep going because the white dots aren't that big or anything. They're only 1 pixel each and there aren't too many dots. And they're on the horse's body not around it in the black background. :(

6. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    Crap... I decided to push it a little more and started seeing white and black dots, so I went back 10Mhz. That didn't help and I still saw black/white dots. So I set it back on default, and yet again the black/white dots appeared. Do I need to underclock my card now to keep it alive? :rolleyes: lol... So what does it mean when your stock frequencies have dots? :(

7. systemlord

systemlord Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    I think your problem mite be with a lot of things mainly your Celeron1.1Ghz. Those type of cpu's do not have very much cache on the chip witch make them slow down to the point where your cpu is max out. Also if your using PCI and not PCI Express that makes a very big differance!
    It you upgrade your ram to 512MB or even 1GB thats going to really help you out. Try to remove your overclocking software from your harddisc, that sould get rid of those dots. Just hang in there until you can upgrade.

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    alright i have a major issue...i followed the instructions step by step using riva tuner and no matter what speeds i set my card to, there is literally no preformance increase what so ever, not even at 400/900. plz help

sofar ive tried
    overclocking with pipes unlocked
    overclocking with pipes locked
    overclocking my cpu to 3.25
    downloading different gf drivers
    updating my bios
    reinstalling rivatuner
    un/reinstalling NVStrap Driver
    running fastwrites on/off

when i do get preformance increase (managed to get my css benchmark from 60 to 80) then play for awhile or just reboot, the preformance goes back to normal, even if the settings are at where i put it to get the boost.

this is really irritating, i plan on buying heat pipes for my card to overclock it so i would like to get this issue resolved

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  9. aztec123

aztec123 New Member

GPU:
    Asus Ati 9600se And Asus Geforce 6600GT
    Hello i dont know where to post it but i think that i will get an answer here...

im looking for a tool like ATT but for nvidia cards, does any one knows ?

10. dunno537

dunno537 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (550/1120)
    odd Lavans i get a boost easily on the css benchmark when i o/c my 6600GT have u been increasing the AA, AF etc each time?

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    no. all of my video settings i keep the same when im benchmarking. i wonder if its my chipset? when i oc my processor it receives little to no preformance boost (right now from 2.6 to 3.25), though my 9800 oc'd without problems...weird

12. Kit Chai

Kit Chai New Member

GPU:
    Grandmars 6800 GT @ 400/1120
    hi guys i am 1 new guys here . So i got a little question to ask on the nvidia biosmodifier ? I dont know how to use it . Hi.............hi............. So now i need you guys help.TQ

13. MiLA

MiLA Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8600 GT xXx
    thnx 4 da info

14. jamesbhevans

jamesbhevans Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900 GT - Dell 2005fpw LCD
    Thanks for the great info. IT really helped me get started in the art of overclocking NV cards. Keep up the great work.

15. Sniper1710

Sniper1710 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia/Gf2MX400/64MB/200-250@235-311
    i think the magic number of gf 2 MX 440 is 310/235- mem/core - i tried to @core up to 237 and some black line appeared ( when i used 3d mark 2001 to benchmark ) - the same if i @ mem up to 213 - i tried to set core work at 235 and mem at the lower than 310 - the benchmark point decreased - and i think 310/235 mem/core is the magic number in this case ..... sorry because my english skill is not good - can you understand me ...........

16. dunno537

dunno537 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (550/1120)
    hey sniper try stressing the card 4 a few hours using 3dmark01 reapetdly and try again

BTW your english is good

17. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Thanks for the help funkymonkey I needed to know about this very helpful.:D :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  18. Sniper1710

Sniper1710 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia/Gf2MX400/64MB/200-250@235-311
    yep. It's not the magic number,after stressed my Vid for a few hour, suddenly, the screen freezed for a few second, and repeated a few minutes latter, i 'll try again, but now 237/307 is quite good..........but the score of 3d marks can't say anything.........with differents game, we have to use diffirent settings..........:D
    By the way, what is the best driver for my card and win9x , almost modified drivers is not for win9x, i don't want to play game on win XP , you know my computer is not fast

19. demetrius1976

demetrius1976 Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac gtx 260 amp2
    can i flash my to 5700 ultra??,i only clock i to 500/650

20. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Re: Knowing when to stop OVERCLOCKING

Those black & white things are called artifacts they are no big deal, when you get them it means your video cards core and or memory are pushed to high, just turn them down by about 10Mhz or so. You can not burn out your card by overclocking the core and memory.