Download slower than upload

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by WeaZel, Sep 1, 2002.

1. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

So I got the Bell Sympatico Ultra....I did a speed test and got 453 down and 560 up...when it should be at least 1500 down 560 up, it's a 3mb/640up connection.

Any ideas?

I downloaded Dr.TCP...set my MTU to 1492

my rwin is at 28800

2. SyNaPs

SyNaPs Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9700 AIW Pro
    Weazel, Where abouts are you in Ontario.. after seeying your post I checked out bells HSP site..

What type of modem do you have? Does bell provide the modem or do you have to buy it? I'm considering going to the them but I'm out in Orleans, Ottawa.. not very close to the central station dunno if its going to be worth it.

3. finger

finger Member Guru

GPU:
    X800XT pe
    Goto www.dslreports.com (its not just for DSL its for all broadband connections) they have alot of good info and a great forums. Also run some of the tests on there test page. I always use the tweak test and the speed test. The tweak test lets you know if your settings are optimized.

My MTU is 1500 and my rwin is 32767

4. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Re: Re: Download slower than upload

Der.....where do ya think i got my info from?

I can't seem to break the 663 download. A buddy who's on cable's getting 2000+. My DSL's rated at 3000/640. My upload's on par. I dunno. I think maybe I was supposed to get a new modem but bell's on crack i'll have to call 'em tomorrow. If i don't get a new 3mb modem then i'm going to cable and suggest anyone else to too.

5. finger

finger Member Guru

GPU:
    X800XT pe
    Re: Re: Re: Download slower than upload

Doh..... sorry:D Try CyberTweaks look at http://www.majorgeeks.com/ (on their front page today) pick the one for you OS and Connection type. It gave me a big speed boost.

6. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    weez, grab a little proggie called network LED (just search google), then get a big download going from somewhere like here or tucows. Network LED will show a real time transfer rate.

Sometimes those reports do mess up, especially on stupid fast connections like yours, and when they are under stress.

Otherwise spank their arses !

7. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

ya i'm gonna look into cable net.....a buddies gettin'......wait i already said that.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Guest

just call Bell tech support, they will probably fix your problems:)

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Guest

btw, were abouts in ontario do you live?? im near Peterboro and im using Cogeco Cable internet, its awesome, 2200 down and 384 up, and $45/month.. nearly as good as Bell Ultra and nearly $30 bucks cheaper :)

10. Ice Cold

Ice Cold Guru of 3D Bartender

GPU:
    Abit GeForce 3
    adsl , should be 1024down and 128 up

test 1 : 519down, 160 up
    test 2 : 768down, 156 up
    test 3: 744down, 160 up

other server
    test1: 812down, 164up
    test2: 792down, 164up
    test3: somethint like this