Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR Smart TV best PC gaming settings ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Curved are KS98xx, KS95xx and KS85xx, every model that starts with KSx0xx are flat. The curved monitor match the EU ones, only the flat panels are named diffrently. So, the NA KS9000 = EU KS8005, the NA KS8000 = EU KS7005.

Np :)

2. blazin161

blazin161 Guest

GPU:
    Do I have the Nvidia settings right? YCbCr 4:4:4 and 8 bpc? Also do you guys have the Input Name Set to PC or Game Console?

3. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    To get HDR to work the video signal must be set to 10bit. The little research i've done says that currently 4:4:4 will not work with 10bit when connected to a computer, but set it to 4:2:2 and 10bit. Also set sharpness on the TV to 50 when using PC-Mode/Game mode. TV will automatically switch to HDR mode if the game you are playing supports it. Example RE7.

Some information regarding 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 10bit

4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Welcome to Guru3D ! Please read post #4 from Angrycrab :) that should help you a lot , try those settings and tweak them as i did. You are very welcome to post and ask question on my tread , no need for more than one tread on this subject.

I'm sorry i cannot answer many of the questions posted here , as i am an absolutely noobie when it comes to this new tech , and i only had this TV set for a few days. I as many of you am seeking answers for my questions. But i'm glad we have very knowledgeable users posting here and giving us some guidance. Keep firing away any question as i'm sure someone will give you an answer.

5. blazin161

blazin161 Guest

GPU:
    Yeah I'm a noobie with this new tech as well and I'm starting to miss my old Sony 1080p Tv I had it setup for PC gaming pretty nicely, but I bought a PS4 pro and wanted to give HDR and go and I've been having nothing but headaches trying to make my PC games or Web browsing look halfway decent since.

I looked at post #4 like you said and it states:
    "Simple answer Is for HDR content you can't force 4K Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 due to HDMI bandwidth limitations. Even If It's set to RGB Full In Nvidia drivers It will automatically down convert to YCbCr420 or YCbCr422 In game."

Unless I'm completely dense that doesn't say which exact setting we should be using for PC gaming. Should we be using YCbCr420, YCbCr422, YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB? ...8Bit? ...10Bit?

Also which input on the TV should we be under? PC? Game Console?
    Do we need different settings with HDR Games as opposed to normal games we run at 1080p?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't believe I'm sitting here with this new beauty and yet missing my old 1080p set. There are tons of guides for PS4 use but next to nothing on Nvidia settings for PC gaming.

6. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I would definitely use game mode. Quiet a difference in speed. 20ms be 40ms. As for the rest of the questions I would also like to know.

7. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit

Just use RGB FULL 8-bit In Nvidia CP should get rid of the pink color. when playing SDR and HDR games on PC the game engine will automatically change the settings accordingly to 10-bit when HDR Is enabled and the display will tell you that an HDR signal Is being sent to It.

RGB FULL = 4:4:4

When gaming on PC edit your TV source and set It to Game Console. If the source Is on PC you won't be able to turn Game Mode on.

Under TV Source Type:
    PC = Browsing
    Game Console + Game Mode = Gaming on PC

Also be mindful of these settings they make a huge difference to the final picture:
    HDMI Black Level: SDR = Normal , PC HDR = Auto

If your TV Is calibrated for game mode then always use game mode since It has the Lowest Input lag and Is better for your eyes ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for that information.

Here is the nvidia SDK HDR test download: https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dynamic-range-display-development , it will tell you if you are able to run HDR on your PC using Nvidia cards GTX 9xx and GTX 10xx series.

1. Download the SDK
    2. Extract the SDK using winrar to a new folder
    3. Run the batch file named run_hdr
    4. The TV will tell you right away if it is in fact running HDR on the left upper side of the screen , you can verify also by pressing the information button on your control remote and it will display all the information of what the display is running , it should read ( HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color ) , if it reads exactly like that then yes your PC it's running HDR.

I made a short video showing how to use the SDK to make sure your TV is able to run HDR content on PC mode using Nvidia GTX 9xx or GTX 10xx video cards. As stated before by Angrycrab the nvidia drivers will adjust the settings when HDR content is displayed via PC to the TV and automatically switch to HDR mode , I hope that helps.

How to video:
    ---------------

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    That's amazing info Chrispy! Thanks for sharing. :)

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You are welcome my friend , please call me Chispy or Angelo as Chrispy sounds like something coming out of a frying pan rofl :funny: , no worries you are not the first one to misspell my nickname :D

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Awesome Chispy!!
    I was wondering why I could never choose the UHD Color setting as the screen always went black when I had my PC HDMI selected. Now I know why it didn't work! Will have to try this at home since the TV seem to handle HDR quite well on my PS4.

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So are we saying then that for non HDR gaming we should just use RGB or YCbCr444? If RGB is correct then what about limited in nvidia panel or full? Then of course what about TV setting. low or normal?

Thanks guys hope that makes sense. Want to make sure I'm using correct settings.

15. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    RGB signals are uncompressed and are In It's purest form. YCbCr444 adds compression to the signal to meet certain bandwidth requirements so always use RGB for PC If your TV accepts RGB.

Nvidia Full Is for TV's that supports full 0-255 range On your TV set hdmi black level to Normal for this mode to avoid crushing blacks and losing details In the Image.

Nvidia Limited Is for TV's that only support the 16-235 Range In this mode set your TV's Hdmi Black Level to Low.

Video games are mostly mastered at the 0-255 range.

Movies and video sources are mostly mastered at 16-235.

So by setting It to Full you won't lost any details In the darkest and brightest areas of the Image regardless of the content type.

In the end try to experiment with those settings and find what looks best for you. ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I knew all that but thank you. The only information I'm missing is if the TV supports full and if so what to put the settings on for game mode.

17. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Guest

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It's best to do the calibration yourself i heard, cause every panel is different.

I have the Samsung 55KU6000, wich is said to be IPS but i got lucky and got one with a VA panel. (lucky as in better blacks and latency).
    Has bad viewing angles but only from above and when i get up close from an angle.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Never heard about this, do you have any source to confirm this? i always have it set to 10-20 depending on the game.

20. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Read on avsforums that sharpness set to 50 = 0 when using PC mode. Tried looking for the post, but was unable to locate it again.