Euro Truck Simulator 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Anyone else bought/playing this?

Ever since I saw and tried the demo on Steam, I've been wanting to play the full game but was a bit apprehensive about paying full price for it in case the thrill was short-lived. Well, last week Steam had it on offer for 50% off so it less than £13 so I bought it. Believe it or not, I've been playing this more than anything else and have barely touched Resident Evil 6, a game I got at the same time as this.

Now I'm not even interested in trucks or even simulations especially but this game is bizarrely addictive and I find myself wanting to come back to it for some unfathomable reason. Graphically the game is very pleasant maxed out with forced 4xMSAA/4xSGSSAA but not jaw-dropping and the audio does the job without being astounding either (the cabin sound is a bit lacking though unless you listen to music). So what makes this game so compelling then? For me, it's a relaxing game picking a job and then delivering goods to various locations in the UK and Europe. The game has a large selection of radio stations (plus you can add your own) and supports custom music too (just drop a shortcut to your Music Library to the game's music folder) that all make for a pleasant driving experience. It is surprisingly immersive, particularly with the night time and wet weather, and the game is structured in a way that allows for eventually owning your own truck, business and drivers with 'upgrades' allowing you to take on more profitable and even dangerous deliveries.

I implore people to try out the demo because you may find the game oddly appealing like I did.

2. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Been meaning to download the demo for ages.
    Got 85% in PC Gamer and they don't give out high scores easily.
    Does it support gamepad does anybody know ?

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, but not automatically like many games do. You have to set the controls up manually but it has extensive support for a wide range of inputs, including steering wheels, etc.

I have my Xbox 360 controller setup using some suggestions on a web site and it works just great. If you want then I can post the layout I'm using later on?

4. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    So the mission is cargo deliveries..and you don't have to park your truck Darren?
    Parking an 18 wheel truck is very frustrating to me :(

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It is frustrating but challenging. However, you can skip it at the expense of a bit less cash. The game is basically as hard or easy as you want it.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have also played it, few hours at friends house. Was not expecting much from that game but it was really good! Should buy it when it comes on sale, would buy it at the price it's now if I had more time to play. :(

Highly recommended to give it a go.

7. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Aha skip maybe the best option :) I also enjoy the moment just you, the long road and relaxing music :D

8. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I'm glad I saw this thread. This is the perfect game to unwind with from the sofa.

9. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  10. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    LOVE this game!!! although i dont know why lol :p

i too got it in a sale and it strangly keeps me playing for hours, i guess it is just the relaxing feeling of the open road and some chillout music + my sofa = bliss :)

11. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    How big is the map? i used to play Hard Truck 2 when i was younger. its a Russian game and it was so damn fun! Race, police, hidden paths.

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    50K of roads behind me and still loving it. I use my G25 to drive very fun rowing thru the gears on the H-Shifter. Also play with TrackIR which totally adds another level to it.

I only run a few mods mostly for added realism like real companies and cars having correct logos.

@Darren you might like this mod to raise up the cabin sounds.

http://ets2-mods.com/sounds/657-louder-vehicle-and-ambient-noise

I agree it is too quiet but I use another mod that I modified myself for more volume.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the link, INSTG8R, I will install that later on. I've also found some colour images for the drivers (odd that the ones included are black & white only).

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    bought on Greenmangaming. Such a charming game. i played with xbox360 controller but need my G27. my wife is whining about G27 mess. cant use it. it sleeps in attic damn it :(

anyway, i want to use more AA in the game but how please? i use nvidia control panel and OVERRIDE mode. but nope. wont work. any help? thanks.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Create a profile for the game and add this AA flag: 0x000010C5. You can now use Overide and MSAA+SGSSAA to improve the anti-aliasing. Make sure the scaling is at 100% otherwise it won't work and disable in-game MLAA.

Alternatively, you can up the in-game scaling to 400% (effectively downsampling) and use MLAA which improves the AA significantly.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Thank you for your reply.

unfortunately i have no idea how to create a flag. but didn't know that SCALING those that thing. i will use SCALING then :). and in game MLAA :) thank you :)

ohh and iam getting really HARD TIMES to get my truck reverse parking ..damn it..

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You can skip the parking bit if you want. I think I've only bothered to do it once.

In-game scaling + MLAA is the easiest option. The higher the percentage is for scaling the better the downsampling looks but 400% might be too much for a single GTX 680. You might have to settle for 150%/200%.

It isn't difficult to create a profile using NVIDIA Inspector. You'll need that application to add the AA flag anyway as it cannot be done from the NVIDIA control panel.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i was TOYING with options , and tried scaling 400..well, didnt notice a performance drop that huge.. will try it tonight properly. thank you. it is good to not KILL enemies in a game but just Drive and drive :D

19. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    you can always send it my way, ill look after it :p

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i would ask for just 275 euros for it :) .. i bought at 450 euros damn it. everything is expensive here..

By the way. G25 looks more, MESS..wish i bought it :(

Today my WMS wireless receiver for windows will arrive i presume. so i can play with my xbox360 controller.

No idea if Wireless steering wheel for xbox360 will work either.