steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard driver?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AlwaysHope, May 6, 2013.

1. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Just got my first mechanical keyboard today as per title of this thread, after using my trusted and faithful MS internet keyboard for many years of gaming... sad I know... but the key spacing on that old board suited me just fine.
    My question is, will this new mechanical keyboard sit fine with default Windows 7 drivers?? thanks in advance.:) planning on PS/2 connection.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You already have the keyboard but asking if it'll work fine?

3. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Considering Windows 7 is the most popular OS with gamers atm, one would "assume" it will work out of the box with plug and play. Manufacturers website for this product offers no indication of this and there is nothing on my documentation to suggest it does either, hence my question.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It should just work out of the box....

deltatux

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why don't you plug it in and see for yourself? But yeah, why would it not work?

6. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Yeah, thanks guys, booted it up and works just fine. This unit has nice smooth action of buttons, mechanical keyboards are something I should have done a long time ago... :)

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    which switches does it come again? Blue? Enjoy.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have this exact keyboard. It is awesome, build quality is simply outstanding. It really does feel very thick and sturdy. A lot of people complain about the key print wearing off after time, this is not due to the keyboard it the people that use them. People say that the white print goes brown after a time especially on the WASD keys... if people actually washed their hands maybe it wouldn't as mine are all still perfectly white.

Also, I am not sure about yours but mine uses Black switches, by far the best switches for gaming. I have tried them all and blacks are my personal favorite, no stupid clicking when you press a key they are just pressure sensitive, I can press slightly on one key and move pretty slowly in games now. Also the keystrokes are amazing, you literally never miss a key at all whereas on blue or brown switches missing a key is pretty common and is why a lot of pro gamers shy away from those and stick with red or black (red is my worst one though lol).

Also, make sure you hook it up via the supplied PS/2 connector and not USB. As you get way more keystrokes per second through PS/2 when compared to USB, it also just feels more responsive.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They're still not analogue switches so I don't understand that "moving slowly" comment :)

10. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Not sure what you mean by different coloured switches.. I can't tell just by looking at it, and there is no info on the packaging to suggest anything else.. its just a plain black colour, the whole keyboard.
    But of course, PS/2 is the only way to go for dedicated gamers.. :)

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    he means black cherry mx switches. you can check the color of your switches by picking off any of the key caps. Some mechanical keyboards come in multiple flavors and give you an option from all the mostly used cherry mx switches (red/black/brown/blue). Other keyboards only come in one version (like my Logitech g710+, only available with brown switches).

PS2 is nice but it's a bit of an exaggeration to say it's the only way for dedicated gamers. A lot of top keyboards don't sport PS2. Also, a dedicated gamer would know what switches his new keyboard comes with :)

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ya, SteelSeries normally only make Cherry MX Black keyboards.

deltatux

13. AlwaysHope

AlwaysHope Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC DualX
    Yeah, thats true. USB controllers these days would be prioritized higher in the signal chain than in earlier mobos. I'm not a dedicated gamer, just a gamer.. :pipe:

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I don't understand it either. But in games like Dishonored I can move way more slowly than with my old non-mechanical keyboard. I can press the key slightly and my character will move slow I can press right the way down and the character moves at normal speed. I don't get it, it happens in a lot of other games as well and its not me I swear lol. I have used all the switches and blacks to me just feel the best, they are quite heavy and I freaking hate that clicking noise you get with blues, etc.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?page_id=1458#keyswitches

This is a good place to learn about them.

EDIT:

Oh and here, this is taken from steelseries website.

link:http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    No no, that's not how switches work. They're not analogue.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    That is what I meant when I said I dont understand how it happens to me in certain games. Skyrim, Dishonored, Oblivion, Hitman Absolution, to name a few. Maybe its got something to do with the actual game engine. But it happens.