Linksys now Owned by Belkin

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Belkin announced the completion of its acquisition of Linksys. Linksys' technologies, including its routers and the popular and innovative Smart Wi-Fi portfolio and services, will be managed and main...

Linksys now Owned by Belkin

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Two lumps of poo have merged into a bigger piece of poo. I'm glad there are many alternatives to Linksys for future purchases. How's TP-Link and D-link?

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Owning a D-Link DIR-855 never had any issues with it.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Still a very satisfied US Robotics user - old school.

They don't make any ADSL products anymore....why is this?

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I won't touch TP-Link or D-Link. I've had horrible experiences with D-Link stuff. Worst was, at a computer store I worked at, we received a whole shipment of D-Link stuff that was DOA.

As for TP-Link.. ehhh, I've looked at reviews and from what I have seen, I would not trust them at all to be reliable.

Cisco sold because they can't very well charge consumers exorbitent amount of money for warranties and service contracts.

Plus, Linksys stuff has gone down the tubes quality wise in the last few years. I won't touch their crap anymore.

7. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    D-Link's not much better.

Had quite a few of their products "die" on me. Probably more-so than LinkSys now that I think of it.

My next router will probably be an Asus.

8. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    For me it's 1-1 on home router DOAs :p

But yeah I guess they weren't really focusing on residential consumers.

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Ive been meaning to upgrade my router for ages so i am currently looking into either Asus or Netgear. Any recommendations? I know im not going to get Linksys, Belkin and D-Link with these news. I had them all and they are allright. A hassle to manage.

10. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    TBH, I've had problems with Netgear as well (seems like the average life span to most routers is 6 months if you do lots of traffic). I had really high hopes with the R6300 (it comes with 2 USB ports which can be used as a media server), but just like the others, after close to half a year it went on us. Though to be fair, the one we purchased was already opened and repackaged (firmware on it came borked, most likely someone screwed up an update, managed to fix it by updating it remotely though so decided to keep it). Currently using the R6200 right now since the store didn't carry Asus (same as the R6200 but only one USB port).

I'd really look into this one instead of the R6200/6300. Cheaper and Asus has an outstanding RMA system if you ever do have any problems. Plus you don't have to pay more for an extra USB port (assuming you were planning on using the built in media server support).

11. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    TP-Link all the way.
    The right price for the right quality.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I have the Asus RT-N66U on the way from Amazon atm. Should land by the end of the week.:D

My first router was a LinkSys, never put a foot wrong tbh. The Netgear Router I have atm is pants!

13. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Ah that's similar to the one I originally had my eye on (RT-AC66U, well at least in the looks department) when I was last in the market for one, but since no one wanted to wait for it to ship (most people cannot live without the internet for any longer than a day!) we had to go with the lesser of evils, again. That'll most likely be the next one I go with once this one dies (with my previous track record, I'm guessing this one has about 4 more months left to it). Let us know how the Asus treats you :). The DD-WRT support looks nice.

My current scoreboard of failed routers is:
    2 - LinkSys (can't remember which models)
    2 - D-Link (DIR-655, DIR-825)
    1 - Netgear (R6300)

The D-Link's were the absolute worst of the bunch considering their prices/lifespan. Will never buy another D-Link product again.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I only trust TP-Link, ASUS and that's pretty much it these days in terms of consumer networking routers.

deltatux

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Netcomm's are the ones to get, at least here. I've heard of various problems with TP-Link and Asus with dropped ADSL, poor reception, and the same goes with Belkin etc (with the added bonus of them crapping out just after warranty expires) but I guess it all comes down to some brands and their models work better for certain situations than others.

16. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    After working at an electronics store, I came to the conclusion that every network product just sucks.