Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR Smart TV best PC gaming settings ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. LazKaiWo

LazKaiWo Guest

GPU:
    AsusGeForceGTX1080Ti 11gb
    thnx for the reply Chispy :D

Have you done any changes to the nvidia settings on the PC?
    I will look over the calibration from the link you posted :D

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure , i'm running 4K 60Hz YCbCr 4:4:4.

3. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I picked up a Sony 65 900E over the weekend, I have a few questions. What's the difference in nvidia control panel 8bpc vs 12 bpc? I'm using 12 currently, my previous TV would only do 8 bpc.

Does anyone know if my tv can do full rgb 0-256/255? I have a few color option in the tv rgb/709, bt2020, adobe rgb, dci and a couple others, which is the best for gaming?

Finally, the TV has a few options for HDR. It can do HDR+, HDR, HDR10, which is best? Does a game have to be programmed in HDR? Or do you just turn on HDR in the TV settings to run a game in HDR?

Great thread btw!

4. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    8-bit color = 2^8 x 3 = 2^24 = 16.7 million colors
    12-bit color = 2^12 x 3 = 2^36 = 68.7 billion colors

Use BT2020 since it offers lager color space over 709.

HDR+ is "fake" HDR, HDR10 is 10bit HDR, would assume HDR is 12bit since your panel support 12bit.

Yes, games need to support HDR

5. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    So 12 bpc is the obvious choice and I should only enable HDR on games where it's supported, got it. If a game supports HDR would there be an option in the game settings to enable it? I can't recall seeing that before.

There's so many options in this tv I don't know where to start, ha! So bt2020 for gaming and movie/cable tv or just gaming? This tv has no display options manuel, so I don't know what most of the settings do. Can't believe they do that!

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    You want to use BT2020 for everything 4K.

For games that support HDR, example ME:A and RE7 you need to activate it from the settings meny in the game. TV will automatically switch to HDR mode when detecting HDR content.

7. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Does the TV know how to display Rec.709 content correctly when set to Rec.2020 or will it distort the colors and oversaturate 709 content? Im curious how these TVs with extended gamut support actually handle it. To my knowledge, there isnt much if anything encoded in 2020 available. I agree with getting a 2020 supporting TV or monitor if youre getting something UHD, but is it time to turn it on yet?

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I don't think it's over saturated with 2020. It's actually a lot better than 709. I've only seen it with shadow of mordor. It adds so much more color than 709. 709 looks dull next to 2020. But I cannot say if games are made to support 2020, I don't know. If I enable any of the tvs hdr setting, I can easily say that looks way over saturated.

9. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Well a videogame might not be the best way to test. Same with animated stuff since its not reproducing an image of reality.

Im just wondering how it handles source material thats 709 because usually displaying a smaller gamut on a wide gamut configured monitor just adds color saturation because of what its actually doing to the source material.

That being said i cant watch my old TV without enabling xvYCC to "oversaturate" the color since Rec.709 just looks flat and dull compared to real life. Rec.2020 covers most of Pointer's Gamut so i cant wait to see Rec.2020 content that has had an entirely Rec.2020 workflow from camera to screen.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i have the series 7 samsung 4k, and im gaming at 1440p, i can barely tell the difference btw 4k and 1440p, only rocks and close objects on bf1 look a bit clearer texture wise other than im a good experience using that tv as my monitor for games, barely any input lag on bf1 and cs go.
    any recommended color settings as i have HDR on aswell

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm using these settings on my KS8000 , you can give it a try and see if you like the outcome , good luck my friend.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
  13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The problem with settings like those from sites like that is that they are set up for movies only. I think that for gaming they make the games look dull so go with whatever you think.

I have tried so many set-ups from sites like that and ultimately they don't make the picture look any better for me.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Recently upgraded the GPU in my optiplex 7010 to a 1050ti so I could get 4k@60 for streaming. Now I had to play around with the color compression settings to get text looking right and gamma when HDR was active. Basically the screen was too dark and the text was getting colored shadows. Turns out RGB and 8bit give me the best text and color/gamma with my Sony Bravia.

Hope this help someone.

15. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    This is a thread with very usefull indormation!

Having a very frustrating issue of not getting a 4k/60hz 4:4:4(full rgb) output.
    I only managed to get 4:2:0.
    I have a Samsung UE65KU6400S.
    If I enable HDMI UHD color(for full rgb input signals), my screen is flickering/blinking and most of the times looses signal.
    No problems if i set the refresh rate to 30hz.

Tried all combinations of ports/drivers/settings with no luck.

I have to try with another cable, but the one I use worked without a single issue with my rx470 and the same TV.

This is the 5m cable i use :
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirek...?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=pd_gwm_simh_0&th=1

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

16. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Having issues getting this TV to use to anything other than 4:2:0, somewhat similar to the user above.

Hardware

Display- Samsung KS8000
    AV Receiver- Yamaha RX-V381
    GPU- GTX 1080 TI

At 4k resolution (3840 x 2160) and 60Hz refresh rate, I am unable to change any color settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. The only options available are

Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
    Output color depth: 8 bpc
    Output color format: YCbCr420
    Output dynamic range: Limited

If I set the refresh rate to 30Hz, I am able to select more color options.

Any idea why at 4k x 2k, 3840 x 2160 and 60Hz I am unable to access more color settings?

Using a new 18gbs HDMI cable, I've tried every port on the TV, set the TV input to 'PC' and went directly from the GPU to the TV (circumventing the AVR), still only YCbCr420 and the settings listed above

17. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Sorry I forgot to update the thread.
    I solved all my issues with this 4,57m cable :
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014I8T8FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found many user reviews that had success even with the 7,5m one, but I can't confirm it.

@TK423
    When you bypassed the AVR did you tried turning off HDMI audio(I know you need it) from nvcpl to see if you can achieve 4k/60hz ?
    Do you have the latest firmware on your TV ?
    What is the length of your cable ? Do you have a shorter one to try ?

My guess is your cable and I think that you can try that amazon cable, given the cheap price and the good amazon return policy.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
  20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    sharpness at 0 is totally wrong , i noticed it in cs go, the image and the whole lost sharpness and it became blurry, sharpness should be left at 45 for gaming purposes