microstuttering in tomb raider

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dampflokfreund1, Apr 7, 2013.

1. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    Hello,

I play Tomb Raider on my AMD Dual Graphics (Crossfire) Laptop (6520g+6470m) And I get 30 FPS. The problem is, I got heavy microstuttering in this game, heavier than any other game I played. So instead of 30 FPS it feels like I'm playing with 18 FPS. Yes, I installed the latest 13.3 driver. Can you help me? It's just like a regular Crossfire system just in a budget-laptop.

Thanks!

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    try radeon pro, vsync/TB/DFC.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Try to force VSync on and cap FPS at your minimum FPS (best scenario) or at least an average or a number not too far from the minimum. Use RadeonPro.

4. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    Thanks for the replays. I tried out RadeonPro, but it seems like it doesn't have any impact to the game. I choose the tomb raider.exe and, like you said, I enabled V-Synch in the tool with DFC 30 FPS, but the framerate goes sometimes higher than 30 FPS ingame :(. I even started the game with the the tool.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  6. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    I downloaded the latest RadeonPro but again, everything I do in this tool, it doesn't affect the game. Am I doing it wrong? I first click on add new profile and choose the tomb raider. exe, then I click on the tomb raider profile-> profile. Then I'm enabling V-Synch always on and DFC to 29 FPS, then I launch the game. Where's my mistake?

7. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    make sure you get the osd (hit pg-down)

and check the green lights.

also try setting it in the global profile and see if it works. You need to actuallly save the global profilwe, unlike the individuals.

8. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    unfortunately even the OSD isn't enabled in the game, so Radeon Pro truly don't have any impact to the game :(

9. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Play the game in DX9 to get a nice FPS boost.

There is a registry setting for TR to enable it, but can't remember it off top of my head atm.

10. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    I have a Dual Graphics system, Crossfire only works on DX11 and DX10, so DX9 is a no go, I would get less than 20 FPS with my 6520g alone.. And like I said, the FPS are not the problem, they're absolute fine, steady 30-35 FPS. The problem is, the microstuttering is very heavy in this game. Much more heavier than any other games I played. It feels like Tomb Raider 2013 isn't even optimized for Crossfire.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

11. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well I completed the TR game on 4870x2 which is also dual gpu, and although the inbuilt benchmark ran fine, yes the game is very stuttery in parts. Although that could be to do with lack/restriction of modern drivers on old hardware for my card.

I did however find a boost using DX9 mode.

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    crossfire doesnt work in DX9? wait what?

What are your settings? No offense but that gpu(s) is pretty weak for such a demanding game.

Btw fraps doesnt tell the whole story, even if you see constant 60 fps.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How did you try to enable OSD? RadeonPro should easily work.

14. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    make sure api monitoring is enabled in RP or nothing will work..

15. dampflokfreund1

dampflokfreund1 Guest

GPU:
    6540g2
    I have a Dual Graphics Laptop, Dual Graphics won't work in DX9.

It isn't too weak for the game please don't underrate a fast midrange Laptop GPU, I have 30 FPS in 1366x768 FXAA,textures ultra, shadows normal ssao ultra draw distance ultra stuff like tesselation, post processing, tressfx off. ;) And it indeed is 30 FPS (MSI Afterburner said so, too) but with horrible micro stuttering. So it's nothing wrong with my settings or with the frames per second, only the microstuttering is the problem

@Mac disable API monitoring is unchecked. Hmm... this application is driving me crazy...

@yasamoka settings->advanced-> Toggle OSD ALT+O
    profile-> OSD position bottom, show OSD panel at game startup, checked:

AMD RADEON HD 6400M Series
    GPU Core utilization
    GPU temperature
    GPU clocks

AMD RADEON HD 6520G
    GPU Core utilization
    GPU temperature
    GPU clocks
    GPU VRAM usage

EDIT: Okay, guys. I found the solution! The crossfire profile for Tomb Raider wasn't optimized enough, I enabled the Battlefield 3 profile for it and now it runs MUCH smoother! Thank you for all your replys!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

16. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    nvm.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013