~$600 World of Warcraft Rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FULMTL, Feb 11, 2013.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Possibly answering my own question here.
    The FX 4100, A8-3870K, and i3 2120 are very similar in performance. Don't think I'll be overclocking the CPU as those AMDs don't seem to benefit much from it sadly. The i3, however, I would.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. PinguX

PinguX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    The i3 can't be overclocked, does this person play games other than wow ?

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    ah, fail... They probably play free games like League of Legends.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    @CreationP - what exactly is your psu model?

5. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    @ eclap

You showed me a thread/ article that backs up my theory. Thanks. 660Ti needs a min of 450-500watt IF you do not OC. Also, you still trying to say I'm not right after you proved my theories wrong in more than 3 threads and still proved you wrong in all of them. You really have a problem with me eh? WHat I said in previous thread is:

I really don't give a rats ass of what PSU the OP will buy. I don't really care if he buys the absolute minimum whether it is 380-400 or 500watt. But when something out of the ordinary happens and yes, it will happen, and the PSU won't be good enough then he will be the one comming back crying that his PSU/GPU or whatever else is fried.

My PSU is a Tagan PSU that I own for 5 years now, I don't remember the model name and number and you need to read more carefully.

A very good gaming pc (Not OC) will require in average 380 watt in full load. On the other hand a hardcore gaming oc requires about 500watt. Are you brave enough to go with a 400/500 watt PSU or would you prefer to have at least 100-150 watt in stock for electricity provider malfunctions, storms etc etc. ?

6. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN... Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7850 OC 2GB
    Say what? :3eyes: My FX 4100 goes from ****ty at stock to not so ****ty at 4.6GHz, the benefits for some games are huge.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

OMG are you actually stupid or can you not read???? an overclocked 660ti will draw 134 watts!!! the whole rig in that review draws 252 watts under FULL load. that rig is more power hungry than the op's rig will ever be but you still think a 500w psu is not enough? Dude, my gtx 480 draws more power than his entire rig will and I'm running a 650w psu. again, stfu and stop misleading people.

about the other threads... you said in one thread that gpu is not the problem, then were corrected by others and admitted that you were wrong. and the other thread when you said the difference between 1333mhz ram and 1600mhz ram will be BIG in a budget rig? Give me a break, you don't know what you're talking about. You don't have to reply to this, just go eat humble pie. I don't care if you're wrong about some silly things like games and I don't care if you disagree with me. But this is other people's money and you're telling them to spend more in this thread when there's simply no need.

For his rig a $60 500w psu will be enoght, with heaps to spare. if anything, a decent 400w psu will suffice, as long as it's a solid unit like other's said. go do some research next time before you start tooting your horn.

Also, you couldn't be contradicting yourself more. you say a hardcore gaming rig requires 500w psu. 2 things. the op is not building a hardcre oc gaming rig, he's building one on a tight budget, one that will draw very little power compared to high end rigs. another thing is that a hardcore oc gaming rig will require more than 500w psu. I'm talking about ivy bridge @ 4.5ghz+, 16gb ram, gtx 670 sli (or hd 7950 crossfire) with ssd, some hdd etc will need more than a 500w psu.

8. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you're joking, right? that's from 4 years ago!!! also it just proves my point. that cpu and gpu is a lot more power hungry than the op's will ever be (dual gpu) yet it takes furmark and prime to consume 500w. I think you should stop embarrassing yourself further and just stop posting.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What are you smoking, what you linked shows a top top end computer with a 295 in it barely scratching 500w. A 650 for even this high end configuration would be perfect. Now you're talking about getting rid of 65% of the card's consumption and 25% of the CPUs?

Come on man, give it up.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    there's no sense to that guy, I've noticed this in a few of the threads he's been replying to. He is trying to prove he's right yet he always proves himself to be wrong without even realizing what he's doing to himself. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Come on now, you gotta know me better than that. I will argue with him until this thread gets closed if I have to.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't think he'll be back because surely even he must know he's talking a lot of bull by now.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm still laughing over the PSU argument. The computer in my sig must be magic to get by on its PSU.

The problem with WoW is, it's a Nvidia biased title that also likes a good CPU. That's not to say Nvidia is bad, far from it - but it's so much in favour of Nvidia you're limited in GPU choices when building a rig specifically for the game. You also want to get the best CPU you can into the build. So I'd agree that trying to slip an i5 in there is a good idea. People tend to underestimate what it takes to run the game with decent settings at 1080p or above. Especially in battlegrounds/raids or other heavily populated areas.

Edit: Looking over some MoP reviews for AMD cards, it seems that current gen AMD cards aren't doing as badly as I thought in MoP, better in some cases than Nvidia price point counterparts. Quite a difference from last I checked. That said, they seem to be doing worse than some of the last gen cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-16.html

15. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    For that kind of money, do yourself a favor and go for AMD FX series.
    Either 4300 or 6300, the price is about the same, and so it the performance, personally I'd go for the 6300 for multitasking and other applications.
    That should leave you with enough money for a 7850 and a cheap motherboard, which by the way tend to have better features for the price on the AMD platform.

And I mean i5 is almost double the price, but you gain 25% more performance based on a few benchmarks I checked out. Definitely not worth it in my opinion, also I don't see how it's possible with 350$

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    @OP have you considered just running an A10 APU with onboard GFX that may be sufficient and if you need more add a discret card in at a later date the A10 should run WoW.

17. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I looked up budget crossfire with the APU + 6670, but it couldn't beat a single 7770. If it's not a build for me, I'd rather finish assembling it in one sitting.

I don't mind going with an AMD 4300. It looks to be good enough. I used to build $400 gaming rigs back then for WoW, and those people thought it was excellent because they were playing at 15FPS on their crappy Dell or HP's before that. This would be one of those people.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @FULMTL...are used parts any consideration?

Please....please stick to something you actually have some knowledge about....

Most power supplies don't list the amperage output of the 12V rail....which is why we use wattage as a guide. The wattage rating isn't as important as the amperage. It's very possible to have a 700watt unit that only produces 24amps on it's 12V rail.....or one that produces 56A on the 12v rail.

Your theory that the average "gaming pc" will require an average of 380watt at full load....is wrong. Very wrong. MY system, at full load....less than 300watts. I'm running a Core i7 2600K clocked at 4.5ghz with HT enabled...an overclocked GTX660....and at full load, I'm still under 300watts. Even running 2 instances of F@H-GPU and an instance of F@H SMP8, I'm just tipping 300watts. Fact is, the "average" gaming PC.....is closer to 200watts than it is 300watts......

19. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I think the 6300 would be a better choice considering the price, it's only like 10€ more.

20. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    It's funny because at full load without OC I'm at 400 watt. With full OC I would say I would go somewhere along ~430-450 maybe and If I'm about to calculate the peaks that the wattmeter does not catch I would get about to ~460-480. Also if I calculate the faults of electric company which (in my country) gives sudden spikes i will have to get up to 10watt surplus for safety reasons. Also, if we take into account the conversion efficiency of a standard PSU, which is 70%, a PSU of 500watt loses about 150watt to heat and other waste.

And you still telling me that going with a 350watt PSU that "according to diagrams shown is the extreme minimum" is a good idea. Well, no comment in that. I guess ppl, even when shown proof in actual numbers, still don't wanna listen.

And before you ask, I used my watt meter, calculated the volts and ampers, calculated the external wattage the PSU pulls compared to the internal coefficiency, took into account the 10% precision loss of the wattmeter, took into account the limited conversion efficiency.