Get Galaxy S III or wait for IV?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Techio, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    Or even Nokia Lumina 920? Still using my very first Galaxy S, contract ends in the middle of December and switching to a different carrier. Should I aim for the Galaxy S III or wait for IV? Be very strangely awesome to skip over 3 generations. I have the Lumina on my mind as well but not as much.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    I personally prefer the Galaxy note II.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Note II, better in EVERY possible way plus it's future proof.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you keep waiting, the V will be out... honestly, just buy whatever is the best right now, if previous Samsung device launches are any indication, while the IV is rumoured to debut in February, you won't see it on sale until May or June.

deltatux

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    this^

buy the best you can at the moment, unless there is a superphone coming in 2 weeks you never should wait, if the S3 isnt enough for you, the note II is what you need, or a fresh start with the lumia 920

6. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    I kinda figured that the Note II is mainly a business "phablet" IMO.
    Reason why I asked whether to get a phone soon or next year is because I did get the i9000 December 2010, and when I discovered that Samsung stopped supporting it (Well, updating it), I lost a little faith in them. In their defence, the phone was ageing . But it everyone's defence, they could've dropped the Touchwiz but it is their product. I have learnt, however that custom ROMs are indeed a lot more better than Samsung's after flashing for the first time.

I do fear that the Galaxy S III may not support long like my first phone. Though it is more powerful and has tons of sales, it may last longer. I guess I'll go for the Galaxy S III. Cheers guys. :)

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    M-offtopic but, Galaxy S3 mini is good?

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Seems pointless to me, cannot see a difference between it and the S2, same hardware, etc, only addition I see it NFC, and the S2 will likely be cheaper.

Slightly bigger screen on the S2 as well.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hmm. right. im looking a small powerful android device next to ip5. but this is not it. :/

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Get the S2 then! plenty powerful

11. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Not at all, it only shares the name, otherwise is a totally different product. Slower CPU, less RAM, lower screen resolution. In other words, a deceit.

As for the Note, it's a little too big for me :). I'm going to buy a S3 in January.

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I don't know where you're at or if you're on GSM, but you may want to check out the Nexus 4 if you are. Although... you'll be waiting a while for that too.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If software support is a worry, why not the Galaxy Nexus or the Nexus 4 then? Google guarantees updates for at least 18 months and is guaranteed to be updated by the community for the foreseeable future.

Other manufacturers like Samsung, HTC et al. are iffy when it comes to having a reliable software upgrade cycle.

deltatux

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This. If you keep waiting, you end up waiting forever. Just get the device now that suits your need best. Although, I'd still avoid old stuff ig you know new stuff is month away.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would never go for a phone that is 6 months into it's life. I would rather wait 6 months for the s4 and get it on release. that's because my contracts are 2 years long so I like to get the latest phone out there.

16. Techio

Techio Guest

GPU:
    XFX Fury 4096SP Unlocked
    This! I had that experience with the first one and by 2-3 months, II came out. I was frustrated about it. I am focusing on the III now but again, I am still trapped on it. My contract for the first one did go for 2 years and chances are, this next one will too.

17. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Get the latest and greatest not too big not to small and new the nokia lumia 920

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Wish there was a S3 with 2GB :(

19. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    There is The titanium grey 4g version has 2gb ram and jelly bean.

20. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would wait dude! You dont want phone which is 6 months old and if you tie yourself up to a 2 year contract! I would look at Nokia, see how that feels. Or wait for new Galaxy if you want Android. Or maybe even another Nexus.