Dedicated Q6600

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Præses, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Hello all

I know it's not much, but I have a Q6600 Linux Mint system on campus now running FAH 24/7. It generates around 2500ppd for team Guru3D. It's not used 99% of the time, so I figured I could turn it into a folder since I'm not paying the electricity bill! :nerd:

Unfortunately it lacks a proper gfx card, so I can't do GPU folding. I hope it helps though :D

2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks for the helping hand! Every bit counts :)

3. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I see what you did there :infinity: :)

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    im still running my Q9550 OC and Q8200 OC. the Q8200 is getting 7.7k ppd on wu 8083 that quiet impressive, do you know what work unit your currently working on is Præses?

5. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    wu 7808 I think. I see my ppd dropped a bit to 2250. Why is your Q8200 getting such a high ppd? I wish the gfx card in the system was supported. It's a HD2600XT or something. Would've been nice if I could run the GPU 24/7 too. I have a 9600GT at home which I'm considering putting in, but I don't know if the PSU can handle it. It's a Dell system, so they have non-standard PSU's and I have no idea if it has a 6-pin PCI-e power connector.

6. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    is that with the bonus points, do you have a passkey witch program are you using to monitor the ppd output is there another program taking cpu away is it running at 2.4 all the time temp can cause a down clock if its getting to hot.

im not sure what ppd a q6600 should get but i don't this it should be that different from my q8200 at stock what is your memory speed?

the gpu could slow the cpu down quiet a bit i can't remember what a 9600 would get ppd wise 1000-4000k ppd could be more i don't know

7. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I check my ppd in FAH-Control I think. Know a nice app in debian linux which can monitor CPU freq. and temps?

I think it's only 533Mhz DDR2, maybe 667MHz. I know it's not 800MHz.

An no passkey. What do I gain by setting it up?

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    By setting passkey you can get bonus score. That is SMP beauty.
    I'll post how to set passkey on linux later, if you using command line only distribution.

Code:
    vim /etc/fahclient/config.xml
    mine for example:
    To check temps in linux, try this :
    http://www.lm-sensors.org/ (it works fine in command only)

When it comes to clock speed, I didn't yet have luck getting it to work. Maybe you could have more luck with ur distribution. But I have no problems overclocking and checking clock in bios.

I run E7200 dual core on linux rig, and I get around 3300 ppd. So you should get at least 4000ppd by setting pass and completing more work units.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I installed it on a Q6600 running WinXP and got around 8000 ppd with the pass set up.
    Saw I had an old process of FAH running on the linux PC (probably without being setup properly with ID etc), taking up a whole core, so I killed that process so now's it folding with a pass on all 4 cores, will check what ppd I get on the linux system tomorrow :)

10. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Ok both the XP and linux system now averages at around 6500ppd :)

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Good job! AFAIK, linux should give better results, since program itself was originally compiled on it.

12. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    They are working on different WU's now, would the ppd be influenced by this? I guess it should, depending on how complicated the WU is?

There's around 35 Q6600's in this lab...think I'll slowly "infect" all these PC's eventually with FAH :D

13. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Some Project may give higher PPD than others and vice-versa. However, there is an attempt to keep the variation to within an acceptable range.

If you don't own the computers, then a written permission is required from the owners to install and run F@H on those systems. If you own those systems... what are you waiting for ;) Here is a shot video from PG which gives a brief overview of F@H to new users -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7sJx9z1uB9k

14. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I have permission to use all of the systems, they are barely used whatsoever. :)

I really like that if you fold on the CPU, the low priority of the thread makes it barely noticeable while using the PC for normal usage with FAH in the background.

Thanks for the video, but I'm actually a biologist so I know how useful FAH really is ;) The two PC's I'm folding on is in a bioinformatics lab :banana:

Although I don't do much bioinformatics myself, I do some protein work in the lab as I'm developing a sub-unit vaccine to be used in poultry production :)

15. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    That's great! More points to our team :D

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You can't even use GPU folding on Linux unfortunately. However, it makes it up for itself because I find the SMP implementation is better on Linux than it is on Windows.

deltatux

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    While SMP does better on linux, since its compiled on it, you still can run GPU folding by using Wine. I am in middle of getting it to work on CentOS, but its confirmed GPU folding working on Ubuntu and some other distributions.

But yeah, lets face it, I don't have mouse, keyboard, monitor and GPU on my linux machines.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The good news is that GPU folding on Linux is being planned so hopefully, it will be released when ready (No ETAs).

19. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Will this include the x2000 series of cards e.g. ATi x2400 xt? Would be awesome...

20. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I highly doubt that pre HD 5000 series (and pre-Fermi) will be supported. The reason is that the new FahCore_17 is based upon OpenCL (IIRC, version 1.1) thus it's a hardware limitation. With OpenCL, in theory, FahCore_17 can run on a huge variety of platforms (dGPU, iGPUs, CPUs, etc) that supports OpenCL. Moreover, it would allow FahCore_17 to be ported to other operating systems which also supports OpenCL. Since Pande Group have very limited resources, it makes it very difficult to support multiple FahCore development for the same "hardware" i.e. GPU. With the unified GPU FahCore, it makes development much easier but does sacrifice support for the not-very-latest hardware.

To give you an idea, before FahCore_17, these were the GPU FahCores being supported:
    FahCore_11 for ATI/AMD GPus (HD 5000 or lower)
    FahCore_11 for Pre-Fermi GPUs
    FahCore_15 for Pre-Fermi GPUs
    FahCore_15 for Fermi/Kepler
    FahCore_16 for ATI/AMD GPUs (HD 5000 or higher)

So you can imagine the complexities involved with the development of all those FahCores just for the GPU.