NO Catalyst no matter what.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Concatenation, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Concatenation

Concatenation Guest

GPU:
    VTX ati radeon 5450 1 gb
    I have a computer that because it was getting a little old I decided to let the children run a few games nothing sophisticated though but is a slim case and therefore a low power supply , I had with me two cards XfX 5450 512 mb and vtx 5450 1 gb ddr3 which I thought they should be more than enough to run adventure games. I also bought an external power supply just in case things got to the point where more @juice@ was needed. My problem however never reached the boundaries of hardware. As it was that terminal which I did not use anymore for daily use I had decided to install W8CP, Everything that I use and need seems to be running fine but when it came to change the many settings that one can change in a graphics card I was unable. The Catalyst wont run and for that matter any program associated with the changing of settings of the graphics card. Although they install (and I have already send the logs to AMD ) they will not execute . I have uninstalled and deleted , forced windows to try to install a specific set of drivers amongst them the ones on the CD running on compatibility mode but to no avail. I have already faced through this gaming journey quite a few wholes in W8CP which have all resulted in extra commands line. Although I am not a gamer and I will forever be far from understanding I seem to be enjoying pushing the Os to crash . However the outcome is that neither Sonic nor Gill Grunt have got a lot of playing time. I am ready for more creative solutions because without the CCC I am unable to fine tune and the games appear full of inadequate animations, sound glitches , resolution issues . I think it is time to get creative so I am hoping someone out there could lead me to the solution.

2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Ummm did you install the Windows 8 drivers from AMD?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-Windows-8-Consumer-Preview-Driver-download-2866.html

Of course the others won't work. they are not meant for W8 (which it is not supported yet in stable versions of the catalyt drivers).
    And if the CP drivers don't work either I suggest you to return to W7

3. Concatenation

Concatenation Guest

GPU:
    VTX ati radeon 5450 1 gb
    Yes I did I did not want to bore anyone with the obvious when installing rc 10 it loads it goes through the process of installation it takes about 10 - 15 secs it creates the log file and the green tick at the end. next thing the catalyst is not accessible through any of the normal routes hence me asking if anyone knew a different approach I really don't want to bore anyone with the obvious and I repeat I think most obvious scenarios I have tried end up with the same result. The only time something does happen is when you force the wrong driver then the Catalyst does install which is not understandable to be but on re start it will lead to system_thread_exception_not_handle.

Anyone else with maybe a not so obvious answer ?

I most sincerely welcome then.

4. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

Look, I gave you that answer because I did no know your level of comprehension of the subject.
    I'd recommend to do a driver sweep + an Atiman cleanup and try a fresh driver reinstall.
    It happened to me in W7, the catalyst shows as "succesfully installed" but it doesnt load the CCC (even when its ticked at msconfig at startup)
    It is a known issue in W7 so why won't it be in W8 :p

5. Concatenation

Concatenation Guest

GPU:
    VTX ati radeon 5450 1 gb
    I most sincerely appreciate your answer and I will re - iterate under a general blanket of normally tried routes as those routes that one can normally assume to work, those I think I have already tried:

- I have deleted all AMD/ATI files and tried it and nope it does not work
    - I tried installing other catalysts on compatibility mode but that did not work either
    - I have tried third parties software that allow for tweaking and although they install as soon as you try to change or change the card settings they stop working
    - Although I had to add the command to bcedit because F8 or Shift + f8 was not an option I manage to get to safe mode but the catalyst seems to be unable to load driver detection.
    -Might as well throw a theory of my own while we are at it; could this be a conflict of permissions issues with windows ? While the software seems to install it is not able to access the required files for launching the catalyst?

Still I will leave some room for creativity.

6. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    You have most certainly baffled me as I have not tried W8 yet and I may not be the best suited for answering your question.
    What I actually know is that in the latest versions of the drivers (12.3 and 12.4) the clocks are broken because of a missing file (a vital DLL is missing) which won't allow 3rd party tools to see or control clocks. So this can actually apply to latest W8 preview drivers !

The file is this -> atipdlxx.dll which you can download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?eof9egy3374ytk2

Copy it to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 if this is availiable in W8 which I believe it will.

Tell me if you at least managed to see & or control clocks with 3rd party tools after this !
    On the side of the CCC not starting, I just can't give you a straight answer. Hope somebody else can help you with that!

I sincerely hope you can solve this though you must already know that AMD is not at its best for producing drivers right now and if they can't even do decent drivers for W7 I don't even expect they'd be able to do much with W8 :S

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. Concatenation

Concatenation Guest

GPU:
    VTX ati radeon 5450 1 gb
    Big Thankyou

I certainly did know AMDs lack of urgency and I am very grateful for you reply and help I will give the dll a try as I have not done it , I can also add to my dissatisfaction the disabling UAC doesn't bare any impact on proceedings. If anything good has to come from it is the reality that the OS is still fluid and as such room for improvement. I will say this though we might as well switch to metro style games as most application run without any difficulties whatsoever pity my son is not into pinball.

Thanks again.

8. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I did a W8 install in my spare harddrive but found out that there was no start button and that metro thing was all over my face.
    I immediately uninstalled it :S
    I felt the change on the interface is not beneficial for us PC users. maybe for a phone or tablet... but PC?
    On the performance side I did not actually tested as I uninstalled it too soon to know anything about it, though I doubt it will be much better than W7. Maybe at multitasking or managing processes per core.

9. Concatenation

Concatenation Guest

GPU:
    VTX ati radeon 5450 1 gb
    Well booting seems way faster, and in terms of Pc usage is case of getting used to it some things are not where they are meant to be if that makes sense. It remains to be seen if metro has the intended impact , I have a Dell SX2210T and the OS make more sense when you slide and push things rather than click drag and drop, good times though a lot of situations where you can force the OS to crash lead to creative developments.

10. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I agree with you... I'll probably wait and try W8 when there's a SP released to know most of the problems are solved and all software and drivers are up to the match.