opinions needed for buying a car

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Given the sheer percentage of your life you sit in a car it's foolish to have something that is life-less.

x2...it's why I daily drive a Vette and an R35. :)

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup but sometimes you have to be a bit sensible and nothing says sensible madness like a 300Bhp 4wheel drive VW Golf that's why my next car is going to be a Golf R.

3. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    i cant stand driving automatic but i get what you mean

4. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Just got myself a Honda City third gen. It had just done 15000 kms so went for it. Got it for just 1500usd and will be spending another 1500usd to upgrade it, for eg new paint new mags new shocks magnaflow intake and so on...

I suggest you go for Honda engines only if you are looking to buy a second hand one.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Thanks Viren, i am told that Honda are the most reliable engines.Will look for this model also.
    As many assumed, i do live in Europe, therefore Honda sedans are different of what you have there , over the pond.
    I am looking still, most commom model we have here is this

[​IMG]

This is what you guys have in US, right?

[​IMG]

It is nearly imposible to find this model in Europe, i want one so badly.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Civic is even better than city but as you mentioned its hard to find one though with less mileage...just hold on and try...you will definitely find one...it took me 3 months to find my Honda city...keep an eye out...

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I think you might actually have a better chance to score a (JDM) type-r seeing that you are in europe,Over here in the states they are very rare to come by unless you dont mind doing the conversion yourself.

I was going to do a Civic Hatch type- r all jdm body pannels, Motor, turbo the whole shabang but I got a little bored with it and just sold it.

Just curious howcome you are not considering a vw they have some really nice models or even a Audi? My favirot have always been Japanese, Germen cars.

Lmao @ airbud's Pic! awsome dude I was just gonna say.

8. vanhelsing

vanhelsing Guest

GPU:
    GTX 107
    take the new civic, you won't regret

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

One thing you won't get from driving on the disgrace that are the roads of the UK, is fun....USA has all those big massive highways that lead you into the vastness that is America, UK has roads that will lead to some nice tire and wheel damages as your majestically glide from pothole to pothole, while you sit in never ending roadworks that never seem to fix anytthing, burning through costly petrol as you wonder when that group of neds decided to scratch your car durng the night, and why your car insurance now goes up instead of down, no matter you have 20 years clean driving.

Uk is not a place you buy a nice fancy car and expect it to remain that way, cheap and cheerful is the way to go, i would never soil a nice car with the roads of ther UK. ;)

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    You're driving on the wrong roads then, I took a trip over to Kirkcaldy yesterday and was having an utter blast stretching the Cupra's legs on A and B roads on my way back to Glasgow after I had finished my meeting. I agree some of the roads are in a shocking state and yup if I had taken the most DIRECT route I would have spent more time in the typical M8, M74 roadwork crawlfest but half the fun of driving round here is finding those backroads.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I drive a 7 seater 04 reg Toyota Corrola Verso VVTi 1.8L, bought it for £3800 end of 2012 at auction with only 55,000miles on the clock, was owned by disabled driver. Very clean and reliable (though, I have read of some users having problems). The only thing I've had go is my starter motor last summer and the radio/cd player 2yrs ago (not paying £600 to replace). Bit of a petrol guzzler, though if you do short school runs like I do. If you want fuel efficiency, then, try and get something as recent as possible. All adds up over the years.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    This is one case where the grass isn't really greener across the pond...lol. We have some truly terrible roads of our own. With that said, there are some excellent roads in some parts of the country. Depends on how well funded the state and city that you live in are. Ohio has a fantastic highway network, but our local roads are poo. Southern Ohio though has FANTASTIC, curvy roads that are a joy to run. Tennessee is similar.

Yeah, I heard Scotland has some fantastic roads and fantastic views. I'd love to take my Abarth over there haha

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    "Fun" is subjective, no?

You want something "fun" to drive? How about something which is bright pink and used to be used by clowns? Sounds fun to me...

And I am sorry, but a car is a method of transport, and all it does is get you from point A to point B.

Got rid of mine nearly 13 years ago, and have never ever looked back - I'd rather let someone else drive me around instead of me worrying about every insignificant tool on the road thinking they are a racing car driver, when they are not and never will be.

Do I think cars are 'cool'? Yes I do, I think they are really cool - but do I want to drive one on the roads, or through the mountains? No.

I long for the days when cars are driverless and fully electric, and I hope it happens in my lifetime, I really do.

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    bit of update.
    Guys, i really don't want to be an "askhole", asking for suggestions and doing the opposite.Just being honest here, i looked around for a decent Civic or Corolla, but none met my criteria, what i found my mechanic didn't approved.Found some hidden flaws and cars were polished to sell, but with expensive faults hidden by the owners.

Looks like here in EU Civics and Corollas are a bit on the strange side, owners who are happy to own them won't sell, and who want to sell have problems.

Well, tired to be convinced buying a cat for a rabbit, i went to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and asked the prices for a new car.Well, after a cold shower and running some numbers, the only brand i can stretch my budget and my purchase ability is Nissan.New Toyota and Honda are out of my league.

Option1 : wait and keep looking for a car who meets my criteria
    option 2 : bite the bullet and buy a new car
    option 3 : change criteria and run some searches

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's great, lol. I'm happy for you. Really, I am. But I'll gladly spend thousands on vehicles and the fuel to make them spit fire and give me hard adrenaline shots on twisty roads at night. There's something about having the privilege of guiding a missile of relatively advanced technology at speeds no man was designed to go that just gets my goat. Hard to explain to someone who couldn't care less.

Have you considered the standard Euro brands? They're honestly about on par with Nissan when it comes to base models. The Hyundai stuff isn't bad either, as long as it's not the 2.0 or 2.4L engine

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Necro'd rather than new thread...

So I was going to buy myself another Acura or Infiniti, maybe get my first Lexus (3-7 years old). I was also thinking about the Genesis. I like Luxury, I like power and I like large sedans. I was also interested in the Hyundai Ioniq as I heard good things and it gets ridiculous mileage so I stopped in to the dealer. Test drove the hybrid and was impressed with it for being an economy car and the nice price.

They also sell VWs at this dealership.

I ended up trying out a 2012 Passat TDi SEL and I brought it home. I cannot believe the mileage this thing gets for being so large. It's the main reason I bought it. It gets better economy than my ex-wife's tiny Honda Fit. It's also well appointed enough to keep me satisfied (this model is completely optioned out). Enough torque that it feels peppy. Styling isn't terribly exciting but it's pretty nonetheless. Seems like for my desires, it was a great compromise between economy and enough car to keep me happy.

So now I own a diesel. And I like it. I did not see this coming.

17. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I'd look for a Camry instead of the Corolla if ya'll have that model. Ditto Accord over Civic. They both are the most reliable and easiest cars to work on (part cost may be issue in UK though like Merc, BMW etc is in US ). Not a fan of the civic, just a little too small and basic for me (my son has one after he blew up his bmw).
    Someone else mentioned the Golf GTI, if you want a little sport it's a proven great car too and reasonable cost.

Keep looking if your driving needs aren't urgent (your criteria seems appropriate to me). I'd stay away from a new car in your position, unless you expect to have big increases in income in the coming years as I assume you don't want years of payment burden.

Keep us posted : )

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    if it comes to.me only one choice, a 2008 or 2009 bmw e92 328.
    i bought the e90 because i wanted 4 doors, wanted to get the e92

19. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I dont think somebody searches from end of 2017 till today to find a used car he likes. If you are, then you must be REALLY picky AF. xD

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I took an apple, it's the best fruit. Good luck repairing and mainlining it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.