Anyone given up smoking? And is Vaping?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Scorch666, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yup, nicotine isn't the most toxic/carcinogenic agent in smokes, actually far from it.

Not saying nicotine isn't harmful but it's all the other stuff there which is really bad and which you get rid of with vaping (vs. smoking).

Agree long-term effects of vaping should and need to be studied further but as a replacement to smoking it's a no-brainer really. Imo.

(Personally I wasn't aiming to quit when I started vaping but chose a less risky alternative, as there was one, instead.)

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Caffeine isn't safe either....lol

The Japanese did a study on the effects of "second hand vapor on bystanders" and concluded that it was harmless. The only direct studies I've seen on "first hand vapor" have been funded by "big tobacco" and the guidelines for the study required the use of a silica based atomizer, operated at 5V, which is well outside the operating range of the silica based wicks, which are only recommended to be operated at up to 4.2V. When 5V is supplied to a silica based wick as done in the "big tobacco" funded study, the emissions from the silica wick become more toxic than a cigarette.

Studies are only good, if done properly. However, seeing as how the tobacco industry stands to lose tens of billions, they won't allow a study to be done properly within the US, nor will the FDA because they want to keep the tax dollars rolling in from "big tobacco"....while attempting to tax the vaping industry out of business to protect "big tobacco"....

Not sure about other countries, but Arsenic is commonly added to cigarettes in the US... Arsenic is used as a pesticide/rat poison....lol

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There's still a lot of research that needs to be done. Vaping hasn't been around yet for long to actually make good research possible. Tobacco smoking research had hundreds or years of history and at least 50 years worth of medical data to work with. Vaping isn't anywhere near that yet.

In any event, the impression I get is that most respected scientists make an "educated guess" given the little research available right now, and that guess goes like "probably less harmful than tobacco smoking", with the emphasis on "probably." And that can mean that 20 years from now something might turn up that proves vaping is just as harmful. We just don't have enough data yet.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It's because you can quit very gradually (reducing nicotine levels) to the point where you're still smoking, but inhale no more nicotine. After that you simply need to quit the habit.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    technically you're not smoking at all, you're vaping, there's no smoke, there's vapor.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    In my opinion if you switched from cigarettes to vaping then you simply turned your hobby from a dangerous one to a faggy one.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Early trails have shown that with excessive use vaping can damage the throat. So to say it's 'safe' it not true at all.

8. QFT

My thoughts exactly!

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, seeing some people vape these HUGE clouds (directly to lung), I don't think we need medical experts in figuring out your throat's not gonna last for long :p

I mean, isn't the vapor's temperature 300 degrees or something like that?

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The scary part is that no one knows what is in the vape they are inhaling. Try and find and info on it and you wont.

11. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    At the end of the day. People still smoke, people vape, people drink alcohol, people drive cars, People cross roads, and people wake up after a sleep. ALL are considered dangerous. So who are we to judge? There's a risk in everything we do. How high on the list is vaping? Seriously.

Christ there's an element of risk going for a crap.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That's what they used to say about smoking cigarettes for over 50 years. We all know how that turned out.

13. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    My God!! Your right. :wanker:

Are you familier with the film Invasion of the body snatchers? I wish we all become like them aliens, where everyone will be the same emotionless, boring beings. That would solve everyones problems in the world. :wanker:

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What does this have anything to do with vaping?

15. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    We shouldn't be fickle. We are all unique and want to do different things.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not even close to 300 degrees. The temperatures varies by the amount of power that's applied to the heating element. The vapor actually cools very quickly. If the vapor was 300 degrees, it would immediately burn the mouth and tongue as well as the throat.

To believe that, I'd have to see the data from said trials. If those trials were conducted using similar guidelines to the study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the results are invalid.

Also, how early are we talking? Newer studies, conducted over the last 2 years, have been done using vaporizers utilizing organic Japanese cotton as the wicking material, as opposed to the silica and ceramic based wicking materials that were used 2+ years ago. Ceramic based wicking materials suffered from particle transfer (just like Newport cigarettes), which resulted in small pieces of ceramic fiber entering the throat (also just like Newport cigarettes). When adequately saturated, cotton does not suffer from this.

Actually, some of us know exactly what's in the liquid we're using.

Based on the Japanese study, there are no carcinogens present when vaping products are used in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations. The conclusion in the Japanese study was that vaping is "relatively safe when compared to smoking". In regards to "second hand contact"....the Japanese study determined that there was no risk to health of bystanders.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    (Never mind. I probably am horribly confused.)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    BBC Horizon did a program on vaping last year asking the same questions about how safe was it. Towards the end they start their own tests to see the short term effects. What they found was that increased inflammation in the lungs, which became less and less once the person stopped vaping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36338280

The key word they is 'relatively safe'. We won't know for another 20 or so year to see the lasting long term damage. Perhaps vaping is safe, well safer than smoking, but then again almost anything is.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    From your article...

Again, the information necessary to determine if his results are truly relevant are missing. What vaporizer was he using? How much power was applied to said vaporizer? What was the source of the e-liquid? Does he have a PG allergy? (which would also explain any inflammation) If that first image is of the article author, and the vaporizer used, then my following questions have already been answered.

Test results without test parameters are both useless and invalid. If he was using an Aspire Nautilus tank with 1.6ohm coils, any inflammation could be caused by either PG allergy or ceramic particles. If he's using chinese e-liquid, any inflammation could be caused by any number of chemicals typically found in the chinese e-liquids.... Now, if the first image in the article is the author and the vaporizer used, it is in fact an Aspire Nautilus, which is known to use ceramic fiber coils.....which again, would explain the inflammation. Coincidentally, that's one of the reasons that ceramic fiber wicks are no longer being used.

For test results to be valid, all test parameters are required to be provided. I could easily grab an RDA, some ceramic fiber wicking material and chinese e-liquid....vape it for 3-4 hours and post a "conclusion"..... The conclusion would be that I ended up in the hospital, near death from inhaling recycled engine coolant and massive amounts of ceramic fiber. Without providing the test parameters with the results, the results are completely meaningless and invalid.

This has actually been proven.....and the reason that Njoy e-cigs were approved by the US FDA as a nicotine cessation product. But, just like every other product, results will vary by person.

A nice bit of lying at the end of the article....

Death gets people off cigarettes....but doesn't save lives. Cocaine, heroine, meth amphetamines.....they work well for getting people off cigarettes, but don't save lives.

20. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    In my experience, people tend to smoke cigarettes quite a lot more when high on those .. just saying ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.