MSI AfterBurner 4.3.0 Beta 14 Available For the Public

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    >Now On-Screen Display is being rendered immediately after starting 64-bit Steam applications without 15 second delay

It is made like that for maximal potential RTSS compatibility with games/benchmarks because of this:

>Many third-party products are designed to be the only On-Screen Display products in the system and to block their own functionality when any other On-Screen Display software is running.

correct?

So basically it's either Steam overlay + RTSS after 15 seconds using GameOverlayRenderer64.dll override or RTSS instantly without Steam overlay because they can't coexist so RTSS prioritizes itself over Steam overlay?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's not RTSS is prioritizing itself, that's 64-bit STEAM overlay intentionally killing itself as soon as it see some other overlay injected in the game.
    And no, it is not a question of maximum potential compatibility that caused 64-bit Steam overlay library to be removed from delayed injection configuration in this version.
    Delayed injection engine was initially added as a temporary "band-aid" feature, allowing users to use both MSI AB and Steam overlays until Valve developers whitelist other 64-bit overlays and adopt their overlay client to be able to co-exist with other overlays. However, that feature actually played bad role and caused Valve developers to sit and simply do nothing, seeing that AB and Steam overlays already able to co-exist somehow. At the same time it required rather annoying delay to be seen by all AB users, even those who absolutely don't need Steam overlay. Nothing was done from Valve side to remove that exclusivity check during 2 years (!!!) since introducing delayed engine, so it is time to solve that properly from Valve side at last. It is no longer enabled by default to make developers moving from that side.

3. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Great answer, thank you! And thanks for DX12 support, Unwinder:thumbup:
    I guess we should go bitch about this issue with steam client on Valve forums, maybe they'll do something if we're annoying enough:cussing:

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Has this been added or am I missing its location? I opened up the new Cyborg White skin and I don't see it. :)

Will all skins need updated?

5. Unwinder

All V4 skins including Cyborg White have this button. It is located next to "Core clock" label.

[​IMG]

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ah, got it.

7. HisN

HisN Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Perfect

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  8. Unwinder

Thanks for confirming the fix. And thanks for reporting one more time ;)

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    We've been complaining about this to Valve for years. I'd have a better chance at winning the lottery before they got off their ass and fixed it.

10. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    May i Ask what kind of Font you're using? that looks pretty nice.

11. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    is evga precision the same software ase msi afterburner? im new to nvidia, always used AB

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Similar functionality (GPU overclocking support.) but EVGA Precision, Sapphire TriXX and of course MSI Afterburner are otherwise entirely separate software. :)
    (Asus might have a software suite too now come to think of it.)

EDIT: Afterburner also includes the optional Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS) software for additional functionality for in-game overlay support and recording among other things.
    (The included PDF documentation should explain this better than I could ever do and also contains a full changelog.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    EVGA Precision was initially designed along side Afterburner by Unwinder. Some time ago EVGA made some dumb decisions with the software (a redesign that used Unwinder's code, of which EVGA denied) because of this Unwinder cut ties with EVGA (they had also basically terminated his employment without informing him) and that project. Here is an article on that situation.

14. hanfi104

hanfi104 Guest

GPU:
    16GB DDR3 1866
    I too still have a VRAM bug. It counts up to 43xxMB and goes back to 0 and counts up again.

MSI Afterburner 4.30 Beta 14, RX 480 8GB and Crimson 16.8.3

Overall thanks for that great tool I love it :thumbup:

15. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Unwinder,

I seem to be having small issue with running afterburner with new Deus Ex Mankind Divided DX12 mode. If I have OSD enabled during game launch, it always crashes during Gaming Evolved title. But if I have it disabled , it works just fine. Also I can use it no problem during actual game. This isn't really a big problem, and as it's mostly a beta preview of DX12 path, it can be fault in their end. But just a heads up, if you like to investigate.

16. Unwinder

Cannot confirm that and cannot help with that, DX12 OSD in DeusEx is working fine here. Ensure that you don't have any other third-party overlays enabled.

17. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    No other overlays running. Even disabled Steam overlay just incase. But well, like I said, no biggie, as for me workaround is so simple as having osd not showing during game launch.

18. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Use Afterburner it is more functional. EVGA still have some bugs and not has good has afterburner.

19. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    windows 10 pro 64 bits version 1607.
    Work ok for me.

20. Jankes

Jankes Member

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT Gaming X
    Built-in profiles are gone from RTSS. Bug or it's just only me?