AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last month AMD announced it will lay off 1700 people, about 15 percent of its workforce, and now rumors hit the web that even more cuts are coming in January. AllThingsD picked up a rumor from multipl...

AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Expect to see employee layoffs in pretty much every sector except banking/financial starting in January. While the pi$$ poor economy is a factor in this, somehow the main ****** media has refused to cover why layoffs are looking to dramatically spike up around New Years. The answer is simple...

... Obama Care.

Starting January 1st, businesses large and small will be forced to spend thousands of additional dollars per year on health care benefits for each and every full time employee. All of you small business owners out there are keenly aware of this massive additional expense and many are in my situation where I simply cannot afford it.

AMD like most companies are being faced with the following choices in order to stay in business.

1. Lay off employees - Cuts overhead but the remaining employees will have much higher workloads just to keep afloat.
    2. Refuse to comply with the law and/or stop providing healthcare coverage, in which you are assessed a fine of $750+ for each employee who lacks the required coverage. The fine is less expensive than health insurance.
    3. Cut full-time employee hours per week to 29 or less in order to avoid the fines from the IRS. Many restaurants, department stores, and service sector companies will be going with this option. Most restaurants would go bankrupt if they comply.

And that's not the worst of it. After getting slammed with all these additional expenses, somehow the Obama Administration doesn't realize that nobody is going to hire new employees, expand their business, or drop a bunch of money into R&D. I predict the Q1-2013 GDP will cross into the negative and by 1H-2013... we will have entered another recession.

... If I'm right and Obama is intentionally going to not reach a deal on the "Fiscal Cliff" come January 1st in order to hit ALL Americans with a massive tax hike... and blaming the Republicans for being true to their Oath not to raise tax rates on any American. It's why he is in Asia instead of being in DC working out a compromise.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    While I personally feel Obama Care and other welfare related features are drastically hurting the US economy, I never got e impression that businesses were obligated to support it, or that they had much to do with it at all. You are not entitled to getting benefits for your work, at least if you're paid enough to get them yourself.

Anyways, I too would like to know the exact reasoning behind these layoffs. I'm sure a decent chunk of these people really aren't needed that much but the amount they're letting go is way too high without explanation. AMDs management team really sucks, but at least the members who voluntarily left the company seemed to realize that themselves, and while those were exactly the people who should've stayed, maybe the others just wouldn't listen.

4. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

“The thinking is that management needs to get a few things right that they didn’t in the last round of layoffs,” one source told me.

AMD can't even get layoffs right. :D

5. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i hope you really don't think you know what your talking about

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So who'll be left then? :p

7. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I am quoting the article did you read it? I didn't write it.

8. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    The answer is the recession that just happened plus poor products from AMD, not some goddamn Obamacare.....
    You people over on the other side of the pond need to learn to think in non-black and white way.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Lol stop posting sh!t that makes sense. :nerd:

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Healthcare doesn't need to be discussed here.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So shocking and previous post about this was lock cause you all thought the guy was trolling and banned him now hilbert posting about it.

AMD is gona kill them selves more then already have seeing that havent made cpu in years that actual can complete with intel and intel cpu prices just seem to keeping geting more expenisve now AMD letting more people go. What happens when AMD is left with just there managers?? lmao

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Difference. The other guy posted simply to troll about AMD..... Hilbert is posting because it's news worthy.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how so he said same thing was gona happen begining next year shown with links. I find it funny weather he did it troll or not it still happened to be true. Not that it can be proved any more the whole topic went from locked to deleted apparntly.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Maybe we can get a Kickstarter to save AMD...

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah, that wont help them they will just give to all the managers and can more of there workers. it kinda sad that amd come to this, maybe the fact all the next consoles are using amd might save them hah

17. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Andrew LB is correct but it's not the ONLY reason.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    intel!!

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Obama causes cancer too?

20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I do agree that it's an exaggeration, however to compare, social and health taxes over here, in Poland take so big part of salary, that when companies get into troubles, they often have to fire big part of the workforce.