MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Active Member

GPU:
    XFX RX480 8GB
    if I disable AMD overdrive the fan speed is set to the default value and msi ab not work:bang:

2. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Oops! Saw that this is the proper place for a bug report after starting a new thread >_<

I wanted to report a potential bug in 2.2.0 Beta 15 with the 301.10 drivers on a GTX 680. My environment is x64 win7.

I spent a lot of time testing out the features available in 2.2.0 Beta 15. Specifically, the user defined fan curve is overridden by the driver occasionally.

I observed the Temp, Vcore, and Core clocks stay static, while the fan speed dropped from 75% down 10-20% then climbed back up after a moment. No changes in temp/vcore/clocks occurred during this time.

^^For this reason, I wanted to report this potential bug. I will try "Force fan speed update" at the default period to see if that helps.

I also have a hysteresis of 5c set if that helps to locate the issue.

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

4. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I guess I need to clarify a bit more:

I'm reporting a new issue on GTX 680 that was not present yesterday when my environment was the same except for GTX 580 instead.

To clarify further, the driver is only overriding my fan curve in 3d applications, not at desktop.

5. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Set your fancurve start and max absurdly low, and see if it follows it at desktop

Like set 20c at 10% fan and 30c at 100% fan, see if it works. If it does work then the user fan settings are working properly

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Active Member

GPU:
    XFX RX480 8GB
    if i leave the CCC disabled from startup can i have some issue?

thanks

7. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Yes that works fine.

Like I said / been trying to say, this is a new nvidia issue specifically with 301.10 drivers on GTX 680 and only during 3d fullscreen apps. I can put my GTX 580 back in and run 296 drivers w/o this issue.

My guess is that the drivers now incorporate fan adjustment for the hot clocks so Unwinder will have to adjust things or wait for newer drivers from nvidia.

8. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Well nvidia most likely will and I am sure Unwinder will make corrections if needed. However I don't think Unwinder is going to be checking this bug thread anymore, so you will have to wait and see.

9. ilyon

ilyon Guest

GPU:
    R9-280X
    Hi,

Thanks for the work done with that AfterBurner first.
    One problem just happened with last 8.951/8.960 drivers from AMD (Catalyst 12.3 an 12.4). When applying OC frequencies, the card maintains 3D freq and never slow down to idle/2D freq. Is this a problem from AB ? I saw also new support for OpenCL 1.2 in these last 2 drivers.
    I tested 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 and 12.4, this occurs only with 12.3 and 4. Tested with HD6370M, 6550M and 6990M.

10. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Probably driver related, there have been issues in the past with cards not switching from 3d to 2d modes in the past with certain drivers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

11. blandead

blandead Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6970 2GB
    Yes, but should find a way to fix it. I just upgraded to official WHQL 12.3 (which fixes the annoying delayed CCC start that messed with fan speeds)

Even with new 12.3 drivers, when I reset to default speeds it doesn't go to idle

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Disable UOC and add -xcl to your .exe or shortcut, you may also need to place the atiplxx dll in AB folder too. Then reboot.

13. pesok

pesok Guest

GPU:
    295x2-34" 21:9 3.5k IPS
    came here to find out if the bug in encountered is known only to find out that new Beta version(15 - i have 14 currently) has a new option of "force fan speed". Decided to report it anyways. On my system like clockwork in about 5-15 mins after system reboot the fan will go up to 50% - no matter what i was doing(i have custom fan curve setup in AF). Easy fix for me was to open Afterburner - settings and simply hit OK. The fan then would go back to normal and stay normal for the duration of the entire session.

CPU - i5-2500k( 4.5Ghz-24/7)
    Win7 64bit
    HIS 6970 card with latest ATI/AMD drivers(12.3)

Hoping the "force fan" will rectify the situation(most likely it will)

14. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Explained here

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360028

The only fix I have found for it is to start windows, wait 5-10 minutes for CCC to apply its overclocks (It doesn't apply overclocks in boot, it waits 5-10 minutes before applying them) and -THEN- turn on MSI afterburner

If you don't wait and turn on MSI afterburner right away, it will boot, apply its clocks, then when CCC overdrive finally loads it loads -ITS- clocks

Disabling CCC overdrive does not fix this, it still loads CCC settings after 5-10 minutes after boot

15. Snake22

Snake22 New Member

GPU:
    geForce 8800gts 512
    look, on notebook with resolution 1366x768 the "settings window" does not fit on display.
    and i can't swith settings sections.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. anDrasch

anDrasch Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
  17. Bennz

Bennz Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 680
    Hi

I have Problems to OC my Memory on my GTX 680 with Afterburner 2.20 beta 15, every time the slider return it to +0 same with Core Voltage, gpu overclocking runs fine. Driver Version is 301.10 whql

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  18. orac1e

orac1e New Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5850
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  19. JesseFK

JesseFK Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr
    I just wanted to share a minor bug. I tried to see if it was on here but couldn't find if it had been reported.

I'm running 2 video cards in SLI, and if I remote desktop into my computer, it makes the RAM usage on the 2nd card go through the roof (A lot more than it actually has). It will stay like this until I shutdown Afterburner and restart it.

It doesn't actually affect anything except the reporting of RAM usage with on-screen stats, or Logitech G keyboards. Here is a picture of it so you can see what it looks like.

[​IMG]

20. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Bit of a small issue with afterburner!

Been working fine for ages but every so often when you press the keys for either a screenshot or video it doesn't do anything!. Last night for example I recorded a ton of videos but today pressing the same keys and nothing happens, no circle appears to say it's doing anything.

I even changed the keys and again nothing :3eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.