Problems Installing New GPU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ava, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    I have been trying to troubleshoot this for two days now with no success.

I've had my current build for two years now and decided I wanted to upgrade my hot as all hell 560Ti for something cooler and quieter. After researching for awhile, I found Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB. My mobo is MSI P67A-GD65. This is my second 7850 as I sent the first one back thinking it was an issue on the card's side only to have the same exact issue occur again.

When I put the card in, I get no display. I've tried resetting it, replugging, making sure its in correctly and trying different power cords. The fans are on so I know it is getting power.

I attempted to update my BIOS via setup screen and it froze. After waiting awhile to make sure it was definitely frozen, I reset the computer and attempted to use MSI's Live Update program. I was updated to 1.10, but I don't believe that is the most recent version since the site lists 4.3. I don't know how to flash update so I'm relying on the program. Unfortunately, it won't list any further updates.

After all of this, I reconnect the card to get the same exact issue I had the first time I put it in. No display and possibly no post (but I have no idea how to identify that without a display). I don't think it is an issue with post however since the system runs without beeps, restarting, etc.

I'm not sure if I should return the card and find a new one or if this issue will extend to that one as well because of a lack of compatibility due to older BIOS. I'm mainly trying to find some answers as to how to combat this. Thanks in advance.

2. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    1) have you tried it in another 16X slot???

2) Are you sure you plugged in the supplemental power cords???

I had a 6950 and it was one failure after another till they finally gave me a 7870.

BTW, it was an asus cuda 2 card.

3. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    It only takes one PCI-E plug and I haven't tried it in a different slot, but I know that slot works fine because I can replace my old card and there is no problems. Would trying a different slot still be worth it?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They probably hoodwinked you and sent back the same card or something. Just send it back again.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Have you recently tried if the integrated GPU gives any output? Connect the monitor to the motherboard's video outputs. Try to do so while the card is plugged and unplugged.

6. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

P67 doesn't offer any integrated video functionality.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Not to mention he already said his old card works fine. It's basically guaranteed to be the new card.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    RMA the card (again)....

9. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    Is there any possibility that I just don't have the most recent BIOS that extends compatibility to read that card or should it have the capability to read it regardless? Just trying to decide if I should RMA the card or just get them to issue a refund towards a different card. I have always gone with Nvidia so this is not the best first impression with AMD.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The issue has nothing to do with the BIOS. The BIOS doesn't really look for anything or run the card through a compatibility database. It just checks for functionality to allow POST to complete.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wait so you are going from a 560ti to a 7870 did you uninstall all drivers boot into safe mode and clean up any remaining drivers with a sweeping program then install the new GFX card or are you trying to boot with the nvidia drivers still on the computer and installed?

NVM just reread you can't post with new card RMA

12. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    Alright, that answers my question. Thanks. I'll RMA it.

I read that it wasn't completely necessary to clear out all the old drivers until after it booted with the new card. After that, then remove all drivers and install the new ones. Could that be causing an issue? I hope not because that would be a pain in the butt to remove all the drivers just to have the card be the issue still.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No, nothing on your hard drive is causing the issue. If the system won't post with the card in, it is dead. Sorry bout your luck :frown:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the first time you RMA'd they "looked at it" and sent back the exact same one. Some companies have just trash RMA departments. Gigabyte is somewhat known for doing this.

14. Ava

Ava Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780
    Alright, thank you to everyone that responded. I appreciate the help. Hopefully it works this next time.