HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Please, let someone tell me the solution of theese issues
    on 7850/7870/7950
    Code:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0sS_uvO7c[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v1P850ak[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZLJyjC6Xw&list=UU4fgWvJ-DqCuvWcZTs60sGA&index=1&feature=plcp[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZUcJvb10U&feature=BFa&list=UU4fgWvJ-DqCuvWcZTs60sGA[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8erBOaOBck&feature=g-upl[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpZZ59u7Orc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That looks like an unstable GPU overclock. Either raise the voltage, drop the clock speed or RMA it.

These problems are becoming more and more common on the 7xxx cards.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    non-OC version too ?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Seems mainly to affect the OC versions, but can affect non-OC cards as well.

I can reproduce the flickering/black screens/freezing etc issues people have on my own card simply by overclocking it too far.

5. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Will the hotfix come in next drivers ?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What hotfix?

7. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    For this flickerings and BSOD.
    It affects non-OC version too.
    If you got this problems can you get another one?

Is this connected to the MBO chipset and CPU or the ivy bridge chipset also has this issues ?

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I only have this problem if my GPU or vram is overclocked too much. Otherwise it's stable.

From what I've observed it seems to be a problem with the 7xxx cards and not the motherboard or anything else.

9. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    So, if you don't mess with anything, everything is OK.
    For example this shouldn't have problems:
    SAPPHIRE Video Card Radeon HD 7850 GDDR5 2GB/256bit, 860MHz/1200MHz, PCI-E 3.0 x16,DP,HDMI, 2xDVI, VGA Cooler (Double Slot), Lite Retail

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    imho it's a driver issue.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't think drivers have anything to do with it.

12. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I have the same issue with 12.8 driver and witcher 2, but not as much as in the video. Going back to 12.6 solved it for me.

I also have minior flicker/flashes in various outdoor locations in skyrim, while other (most) areas are flicker free, with both 12.8 and 12.6.

Heroes 6 also hase some radom flicker, tested with 12.4 and 12.6.

I have tried to downclock the gpu and vram a lot, and raise voltage, but the flicker is still present in these games.

I have not seen any flicker in Batman Arkham City, Alan Wake, Metro 2033 or Dead Space 2.

For these reasons I think it might be a driver issue.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I get flickering/flashing textures in Fallout NV when the GPU doesn't have enough voltage, but my other games run fine (Mass Effect 1/2/3 Shogun II).

Fallout NV and Skyrim are developed by Bethesda and use similar engines. The fact they both show similar graphics anomalies with is more than just coincidence imho.

My view is some games are more sensitive to overclocked/undervolted cards and will display artifacts while other games will run just fine.....

14. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    I wonder why amd hasnt come up with a solution yet. Its a well known problem and affects all 7xxx users. How long do we have to wait ffs!

15. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    That flicker has NOTHING to do with how much or how little you overclocked your cards. It is NOT an overclocking problem. It only happens in SOME games, and I don't know what triggers it. I can REPRODUCE this type of flickering in the 12.7 (and 12.8) drivers in COD: Black Ops, even if I downclock the card ALL THE WAY down to 500/500 at normal 3d voltages (1.187v on my ghz edition card).

And no, it's not the ghz edition Bios causing it either, as I tested it on 12.8 with the original Bios, too.

Using the D3D driver files from the 12.5 (beta) april 18th drivers in the COD black ops folder eliminated MOST of the random black shadow like flickering, by a HUGE degree, although not all. but it was sure a lot less, often enough to never notice it except very randomly at some rare random locations.

HOWEVER I did notice something, and you guys may want to experiment.

In the 12.8 drivers (the ones that have a lot of the flickering artifacts in Black Ops, the maps load *MUCH faster* than in 12.5 betas (the drivers that have very very little flickering). In fact the maps load as much as 3x faster (if already cached).

It's definitely something to do with something driver related or something card related.

Now, get this:

Despite COD4 using basically the same "type" of engine, there are absolutely NO---ZERO black poly-like Flickers at all in COD4 in 12.8.

I'd really LOVE to know what's going on.

In another thread, someone said that the OpenCL Vram tester always results in tons of errors on a certain exact pass iteration (per pass) on 7x00 series cards. I wonder if that's somehow related.

If you had a driver where , in a certain game, there were very little, or none of those flickers, try testing the map loading speed and compare it to 12.8's. Something worth looking at...(just in case).

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did you not read my previous posts? You prob don't even know what flickering I'm referring to.

I JUST SAID I can deliberately make my games flicker by overclocking the GPU beyond stable speeds, or undervolting it.
    If I reduce the GPU clock by 10Mhz or raise the voltage back up, the flickering goes away. It's that simple.

So don't tell me it has nothing to do with my overclock - because it has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Yours is probably a different issue....

17. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I get the same thing with Alan wake, well I used to and that was because My OC didn't have enough voltage. All other games worked fine but Alan wake showed it was a bad OC, Once I upped the voltage 6+ it stopped.

18. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    Phill do you have a 7-series card?

Down clocking gpu and vram with 400 MHz does not reduce my flicker.
    Also increased voltage by 0.1 V, and it did not help.
    Overclocking the card, both gpu and vram, does not produce any more flicker eaither. So for me it does not seem to be a clock/voltage issue, and the gpu temp never goes above 60 C.

19. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I tested with MemtestCL found here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils
    I got lots of "Random Blocks" errors on my 7970, but zero errors testing the 3770K.

20. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    So, let's make something clear.
    If I buy now SAPPHIRE HD 7850 GDDR5 2GB/256bit, 860MHz/1200MHz, or
    HD 7850 GDDR5 1GB/256bit, 860MHz/1200MHz
    I can't be 100% sure to without theese flickerings?