Windows 8.1 SP1 will get full start menu again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Build 2014 is Microsoft’s developer-focused conference, the company shared some details on Windows 8.1 Update 1, the first significant Windows update since it became available back in Octobe...

Windows 8.1 SP1 will get full start menu again

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    A little to late i think... think most people will wait for Windows 9 next year now.

3. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Way too late :)
    I just hope that this update isn't gonna fight with Classic shell and Start 8. Otherwise am gonna have a lot of phone calls next week..

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The way the article reads it sounds as though the update may be coming later than next week, but if it does that would be a surprise.

5. Roman9441

Roman9441 Member

GPU:
    GTX970 4GB
    Hope that it good enough :/ but a bit get use to metro some how

6. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I'm still waiting for a Windows 9 with no sign of Metro and its tiles whatsoever if I choose not to have it. The (lack of the) start menu isn't the issue with Windows 8 for me, but Metro is. I don't want or like tiles, I don't want or like small apps. I want a full-fledged desktop experience with normal applications that run in windows. I have no interest in mobile-ish apps anywhere else than on my phone.

7. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    yeah, I can see that, it's just that as far as I remember regardless whether the full start menu comes back now or not they still are gonna make changes to the actual one. But I have to say that it would be stupid of them not bringing it now. Windows 9 is behind the doors and I believe they will rather bring the update now and then forget about the whole 8 fiasco and start working on the 9 with as many developers as possible.But to be honest I don't want to see 9 in a few years time. 8 is OK and only needs a proper update to make people happy. I doubt it that we really need new version of OS. M$ have to understand that they are very different to apple and businesses don't want to be changing OSes too often and pay extra money every few years. Also all the professionals which are into certifications are gonna hate them if they will have to go and take new certs just to keep em updated that won't teach em nothing new at all.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Done a clean install of Win 7 last week. I think i will keep that install untill Win 9 is out :)

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i always like to have the latest windows installed (have been doing for 20 years :p )

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You are correct.

Update 1 which was leaked a few weeks ago is the one that is being released on the 8th. The one with the new Start Menu will be Update 2.

11. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I like 8.1 more than I liked 7... there I said it

12. lantian

lantian Guest

I dont get it, i already go straight to desktop bypasing metro when i boot my windows 8,1, the setting is already there, or does this remove?

13. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    I dont think its to late, at its core Windows 8.1 is superior to previous versions imo. Any improvements are welcomed.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Another update to an already great OS windows8 can't wait to get it and install it on all my pc's

Who knows what windows 9 will bring but I am sure the loyal windows7 users will find fault

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's hilarious how MS make (almost) everyone excited and happy with MS for returning something that has been part of Windows since 95 by just removing it for a year or two

A start menu and boot to desktop.... yea, that's kinda what we have always had MS, well done for getting credit for something we always had anyway

So if the government took away our electricity for a couple years, then decided to give us it back, would they get a cheer at the announcement too? Or would we linch them for taking it away in the first place ?

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Reminds me of this joke.

A man went to the local church(no particular religion) and asked for a advice from God,Allah,Buddha.
    He went like this:
    I have three wives,each one with three children and for each woman i have a goat to fed them.
    But now my house become too small to accomodate all of us
    Tell me what to do
    Very quick a voice from above told him:
    Buy another goat and by all means,get in inside your house!!
    But i dont´t have the space for....
    -Do it!
    We went like this three time,and the fourth time he went on to tell God,Buddha,Allah that he will quit religion and find another advice.
    But then from above the voice tells him:
    Quick,get out from the house the last 3 goats you struggled to accomodate!Now,tell me ...
    My God,Allah,Buddha ,my house is larger ,indeed!

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That's like not even a comparable analogy. It's more like the government switching to DC (or AC depending on where you live) for a couple years, actually even that's a bad analogy because the start menu change didn't render anything unusable.

Windows 8 start isn't even that bad. I still can't believe people haven't gotten used to it. I personally like it better than just having the old start menu, although the new implementation fits both needs fine. But yeah, having 72 items pinned is a lot better than having 10.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Stupid move getting rid of it in the first place.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea slightly exaggerated analogy, but just making a point - they took away something we have always had, then gave it back and they get cheered for it

As above, it should never have been removed in the first place - common sense should have told them that tablets/touch could have the option to remove it and non-touch desktops have the option to keep it

20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Having used a Windows Phone since WP7 I've always been a fan of Windows 8.1 and it's nice to see an OS that has received so many changes unlike Windows 7 which has received none.