The new 690 is strictly a stock price PR move.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pixelsmack, May 8, 2012.

1. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    the power is needed but the price u have 2 pay to get the fps u want is beyond a sick joke, ppl have lost site of this because slowly it just became the norm to pay 300, then 400, then 500.. and now 800+ for the top of the range gpu, and dont get me started on xfire/sli.

we are being ripped off for 25 extra fps.. but because some of us are so desperate for that they know we will pay it.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I understand that point of view, I didn't like the performance the 7xxx brought out especially for the price, and the 6xx did the same. But in comparison to what the 680 is, the price isn't bad. As a whole though, the price should be better for this gen.

3. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    I will say if the architecture wasn't a midrange chip (GK104), and more like the GK110, then $1000 would be worth it on a 690! The 680 is priced at $499, because people are willing to pay that. IMHO, the card should be $350-$400, but that wouldn't make sense with the 580 in that price slot....

Personally, I think Nvidia is pricing the 680 at $500 because they need to recoup their R&D costs. I'm impressed with the 680, but not enough to justify the cost of replacing my 580's. When the GTX 685/780 arrive, then we will see what happens to the 690 price.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Pixelsmack -- the GTX 690 is overpriced and over specced -- no arguing there.

That doesn't make it bad card though. Contrary it's so powerful that you'll need to use seriously modern games and settings to be able to fully utilize it. However future games will get tougher, without doubt. I also foresee 2560x1440 120Hz gaming to be the next step in PC gaming.

But I do have a problem with your thesis -- see, if we don't advance in technology, we'll never move forward. Be glad that companies like AMD and NVIDIA make such enthusiast products as it continuously raises the bar in performance (each and every year).

Sure you can't / want / need to buy it, but much like sports cars (which you don't really need either), some people will and seriously enjoy it (and why shouldn't they).

It's the new performance level that raises the bar for the next generation products and that's a good thing as technology always needs to advance into a new and next level.

Also let's reverse a little, what about people with a GTX 9800 GX2 or a GTX 295 ? Do they regret their purchase ? A lot of GTX 295 users for example still have that product, and it was released in December 2008 if memory serves me right. So they had a good 4 and half years with it ... I expect that GTX 690 users will get that same experience.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It also raises your hard drive temperatures by 10 degrees C according to one review I read (Anandtech) since they're longer cards and dump heat out through the back end into your case. ;)

Although I'm not a fan of SLI or CFX myself, I can appreciate that they have a market for people playing at 2560x1440/2560x1600 or on triple monitor setups as it is not possible to max out some of the more demanding games on a single GPU.

6. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Hilbert the problem is that sports cars perform well beyond anything you would need, we are having to pay TOO much to reach the MINIMUM and a high end card should be able to handle the basics, 1080p 60FPS flawlessly, in any game that was released before it.. and possibly in the NEAR future (6 months perhaps)

You should not have to buy TWO to get this, you should have to buy TWO or a 690 if you game outside the basics, like 120hz and need MUCH more than 60FPS, or super high res multiple monitor setups.

Quite frankly high end cards are OVER priced and UNDER POWERED.

256bit memory on a 680? COME ON!

7. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Aye! Buying an overspecced card was a good thing for me. I don't have that kind of money today so I'm glad I made the purchase then. If I could I'd buy the 690 today. You rarely see as well made products as the 690. It might be expensive and overspecced but that just means it'll last longer. However I don't feel the product is worth every penny. It has a rather "low" amount of VRAM for todays standards.
    Just my thoughts.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Why did you buy a GTX 680 then ? With that mindset you should have gotten a R7970.

9. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    There is nothing productive about creating a thread like this. If there was'nt a market for theGTX690 then people would'nt be buying it. Your rage was not even the slightest productive. All it is doing is telling people they are stupid for buying the graphics card.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Glad i got mine,cant wait for it,if i could get my hands on another for the same price then i will,dont care what people say,this is a killer card and will go straight into Nvidias All time Hall of Fame as one of the greats!

11. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Well the potential market is:

Anyone with a 120hz monitor.
    3d gamers.
    Surround gamers.
    People trying to max metro 2033.
    Rich people.

That's a lot of market potential tbh...

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh i was able to play metro comfortably with my 295's on high but not ultra high.

13. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    It has come to my attention that you make some pretty bold statements. First you were complaining about how little of a difference high end cards make these days. Then you suddenly change your mind and buy a GTX680. You open a lot of threads where you say you love this card. Then you have a vsync issue in Skyrim and if it doesn't get fixed, you're going to get rid off the card? Now the 256bit memory bus isn't enough?

I mean, come on, nothing against you but make up your mind.

Ontopic: like said before, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Yes you don't need a GTX690 to max out almost every game out there. I have a GTX680 and I game at 1080p. Do I need that much power to play games at that resolution? Imo no but I always buy the best single gpu out there when the time has come to buy a new card. So far I haven't regret it. It's like with a lot of things: some people spend lots of money on things they don't actually need but they're happy about it so who cares?

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its not the size of the mem interface that matters, but what you do with it. Learned that long ago with a 6600gt with 128bit mem bus which laid waste to all 256bit cards that came before it. Same with 7600gt, 8800gts 512 and other cards that followed. Its the card ability to push/compress as much or more bandwidth through a smaller 'orifice' that impresses rather than using more expensive larger bus widths to achieve same thing.

15. Zergle

Zergle Guest

GPU:
    GTX780Ti WindForce OC
    I don't find 60fps smooth enough for my liking and I passionately hate v-sync. I strive for 100+fps using a 120hz monitor. I think a gtx 690 is perfectly acceptable for 1080p gaming.

16. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    Well some people like THe best of the best and they don't care about the price. As long as there is demand there will always be supply.
    Some people prefer having 1 card for multiple monitors instead of having 2 cards in sli, and to be honest, 2 cards is what u need to 2+ monitors if you want to run games at good framerate.
    But, at the end, no like - no buy... easy

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Please show me one review from a decent source that says every gamer should have one. I've read like 5 reviews on it, they all label it as niche, very expensive card that should really only be used for triple monitor setups, or for people that want something that will last for years.

Hell even at the conference when they launched the card, the CEO himself said it was not a card for everyone.

Probably doesn't own one, just put it there so he take shots without receiving flak, because he "owns one". Looks like that backfired.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    This thread title is extremely trollish if you ask me.

19. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    times have changed. when 8800gtx first released price tag was around $1200 I had no problems getting 2 for sli. now with family I have to watch budget. but yeah this is nothing new with the pricing

20. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Personally I'm not ineterested in any dual gpu solution. However if i was i would consider a 690 for a couple of reasons over a 480/580 sli set up.

Lower power consumption and the fact that its all on one PCB, dual slot.

So surely there is a market for it based on those two points alone?