Borderlands 2 + MSI 670 oc + Physx High

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mentalpeace, Sep 26, 2012.

1. oni222

oni222 Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA SC SE Titan
    I understand what your saying but when I run Crisis 3, far cry and even witcher 2 with ubersampling without any issues whatsoever but borderlands keeps dropping FPS left and right then it is definitely a game specific issue.

Also if you google borderlands 2 and physx issue you will see a myriad of threads regarding the issue.

2. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Back when the game was released, i play it with a 680 and a 560ti as a physx card and i had no issues. After the first DLC got released i got bored of the game and stopped playing.
    When i bought the TITAN i wanted to see how the game performs and got the same issues as you guys had. Even with physx set to low, the game ran like crap. Well, guess what. After i threw in the 560ti as a dedicated physx card everything went back to normal.
    So all of you who have 2 cards, do you still experience this issue if you dedicate one card for physx (select card and check "dedicate for physx" in NvCP)?

3. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I tried running with a 680+460GTX as a dedicated PhysX card, and the performance was worse than just the single 680. The game is utterly broken for me.

4. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Hmmm thats strange, because we had pretty much a identical setup. Were you running the 460 in the second pci-e (x8) or the last one(x4)?

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    perhaps the 460 wasn't 'snappy' enough for bl2 (i'm not talking horse power) whereas the 560 was, there's another user with good results with a dedicated 650 in the PhysX section.

6. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Maybe, but i highly doubt a 460 would not be snappy enough. Its just calculating Physx, nothing more. My 560`s usage in heavy physx scenes never goes above 20% (usually around 5-10%, so i dont think a 460 could not handle it. But then again, i am not an expert.

One thing got me thinking though. It is very, very weird that some have these issues, and some not, even with almost identical setups. Then i read the reaply from Gearbox to the user who sent him his "error logs". Gearbox said, that information was not "moving" fast enough through the PCI-E slots as it should-or something like that. Did anyone even try to manually set his primary PCI-E slot in the bios to Gen2 or Gen3 or in general tried to play with those settings. Most motherboard manufacturers leave it at auto, especially with the z77 series which support CPUs with gen2 and gen3 PCI-E lanes, and maybe the conflict could be the auto settings. Just wondering and trying to help if anyone still got the nerves to try to get to the bottom of this.

This should at least help those with dedicated physx cards. If you have one, put it in the x4 slot, and choose to run it in x4 mode instead of x1(?).

Single card users, if any of you remembers this post next time he boots up his system, and have a look at the PCI-E mode setting in the bios and report back i`d appreciate it.

Really sucks to have such issues on top end hardware in a year(?) old game which is otherwise great, but not being able to play it and having no concrete answer as to what the culprint is. Not to mention a fix/patch that would correct.

If this was already tried to no avail, then sorry for wasting your time.

Regards
    BuBBle.D

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  7. oni222

oni222 Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA SC SE Titan
    I am seriously considering buying a 580 and adding it just for physx so I can test it on this game. If somebody has one that hes willing to sell low or donate for the test please contact me.

Thank you

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol u have 2 GK110 and want to put another GF110 just for physx?? For real?

Those titans have enough power, even one is more then enough.

9. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    @oni222: No need to buy a 580, just dedicate one of them for physx and let us know if it helped.

10. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

i think you can just check your PCI-e mode setting withing windows by using GPU-Z

11. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    My BIOS doesn't have any settings for PCI-E lanes, and I was using the 460 in the second PCI-E slot, which runs at 8x. Load on the card during heavy PhysX scenes was less than 10% with heavy FPS dips. Performance was worse than just a single 680.

GPU-Z reads PCI-E 2.0 @x16 when running BL2, so I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

12. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    nVidia have said the game is CPU bound, and that the GPUs are waiting for more instructions from the CPU to do anything further, and referred my case back to Gearbox software for it to be fixed in their code rather than drivers.

So I just discovered that Gearbox software are doing a Q&A at the PAX expo in Melbourne on Saturday.

Should I ask them if they are ever going to both fixing this? It seems they have no interest in doing so, the number of people who notice the framerate dropping is such a small subset of the total number of players...

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The problem here folks, is that while the PhysX doesn't load the GPU that much, it requires the GPU to context switch between rendering and PhysX processing. While later generations have improved this, there is still a significant performance penalty, even more so, percentage wise with SLI. On Metro LL, even though my dedicated GPU is showing ~20% usage, I get a near ~10% increase in frame rates. The gain is even more in the Batman series.

Metro LL:

SLI TITAN no dedicated PhysX

•Average Framerate: 63.67
    •Max. Framerate: 168.27
    •Min. Framerate: 6.43

Dedicated PhysX

•Average Framerate: 69.33
    •Max. Framerate: 159.01
    •Min. Framerate: 30.28

14. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    i just noticed that if you really want to get decent fps while boosting everything to max physix included, at least on my SLI 680's, is to mod the game profile to force AA and SGAA in order to keep the gpu load well above 60%, otherwise it'll plummet as soon as physix kicks in.

The geforce guide helps alot in doing this, and it works. At least theres no more drops to 20fps without a reason.

EDIT: spoke too soon, now with last betas it freezes and gives me bsods. Oh god, its a neverending issue.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  15. toasty

toasty Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
    View distance is the killer.

I have been doing some testing in BL2 with different settings and have come to the conclusion that even with Physx offloaded to a dedicated ppu; the game is simply not capable of maintaining 60fps with maxed settings even while gpu/ppu/cpu load are all still well below 99%.

Ambient occlusion test - Taken at dusk so lots of shadows. All settings at high in game with vysnc and triple buffering shows 85% load for 60fps. Disable AO and load drops to 55%?! Seriously 30% of a GTX680 for some (very subtle) shadowing?

View distance test - Looking out over the Tundra Express map. All settings at high in game with vsync and triple buffering;
    Ultra high = drops as low as 40 fps
    High = drops as low as 50 fps
    Medium = drops as low as 55 fps
    Low = locked at 60 fps

It's also worth noting here that gpu load did not change considerably (if at all) when changing view distance. Whilst cpu load does dramatically; even at 4.8Ghz it would appear isn't enough for this title!

So if you want 60 fps constantly you not only need a dedi ppu (for high physx) you also need to run the game with hideously crippled view distance.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

16. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    sorry to resurrect a dead-thread but I thought it was kinda relevant.

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel came out today.

Exact same issue with the new game. Physx scenes = framerate crawling. As funny as this new game is, it's truly disappointing that the issue still hasn't been addressed.

Current PC specs are:
    i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz, SLI GTX 670s, 8gb RAM, game installed on SSD.

I really don't know that I can be bothered throwing any new hardware at this issue.

17. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    You still on the 6 series? As you probably know, I had endless problems with my 680 setup, even adding a dedicated GTX 460 for PhysX did little to help. Playing the PS and even 2 on a 970 I have seen few problems with PhysX and FPS. Aside from the instances where the engine simply can't cope with the amount of things on screen giving 100% of users a chugging framerate, I have seen very good performance with max PhysX settings.

The 970 still can't fix Assasin's Creed abysmal PhysX presentation though, that game is truly broken in that regard.

18. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    PhysX in Pre-Sequel actually runs better for me than BL2 though. The only time framerates really dip is when fighting the Shuggurath. That thing is like a massive can of PhysX fluid just waiting to pop. And once it does, it takes quite a few seconds before framerates can be stable.

19. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    I vaguely recall that about your 680. I'm still on SLI 670s - Battlefield 4 ran great with them (just the netcode and crashing to desktop let that game down), no other game has come along which has given me a reason to upgrade from them. Wife and kids prefer consoles, so we've been mostly getting games on PS4 and Xbone. When this game was announced as not coming out for the new gen of consoles I thought ok, cool, I'll play it on PC.

Going to see if I can sell my 670s to offset the cost of a 970...

Ha! Will be interesting to see if Unity uses it as heavily.

20. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I have a GTX680 with over two years and I don't have any problems with it. I also have the bios from a GTX770 installed to it