Is this the new Windows 8 or 9 Start Menu?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Neowin obtained a screenshot of what is claimed to be the new Start Menu. The new Start Menu seems a mix of the old Start Menu and Windows 8's Start Screen, the left side features pinned and common...

Is this the new Windows 8 or 9 Start Menu?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That screenshot is a hoax from MDL.

3. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Why the frack didn't they keep the start menu from the get go for us mouse users and Server users, i'd be using Win8 right now on my desktop and Win2012 on my Servers if that was the case.

4. Vikerness

Vikerness Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 GAMING
    Because they're.. innovative geniuses. Sigh

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @somemadcaaant - Because Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to force a tablet operating system on desktop users instead rather than keep the operating systems different or offer the Start screen as an option. Even Apple have separate operating systems for their computers/laptops and tablets/phones.

Microsoft have been taking dozens of missteps for the past few years from Zune to Windows 8 to their own Xbox One, which has had more U-turns than a dodgy plumbler since its disasterous unveilling last year!!!

Windows 8.1 is fine IMO...as long you use a third-party app like Start8. The improved bootup/shutdown times are nice and there's some performance boosts in games such as Battlefield 4 too. I have my PC set to boot to the desktop in Windows 8.1 and the only time I see the Start screen is if I accidentally hit the Windows key or I want to shutdown my PC otherwise I have no use for it. I don't even use the Search feature either since it's so flawed, e.g. by default it is set to Everywhere but if you search for 'troubleshoot sound' it will find nothing because you have to change it to Settings! Everywhere clearly is NOT everywhere. Eurgh!

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can see people just fail to learn to adapt.

How on earth you can call Win8 Search feature flawed when Win7 search is inferior and for some reason there's not much fuzz about it.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because people only want to adapt to something that is better than it's predecessor

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I posted in another thread that I think the current Start system is fine. It's the exact same number of mouse clicks as the old, and I can enjoy seeing everything installed in one wide screen place, instead of having to scroll.
    As for the Start page, its just a full screen version of the old Startenu - only difference here is how far you have to throw the mouse, but new one has Live tiles, which I'm starting to enjoy. This new one looks like a pleasant combo of the best of both.
    The only downside I've found in 8 is the default forced fullscreen settings UI. Once I configured everythingto a windowed mode, iit's a great OS so far.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Search feature in Windows has always been crap in you want my honest opinion but because Windows 8 by default makes you have to use it to find your programs then its shortcomings are even more frustrating and jarring IMO. Once you start adding icons to the desktops, install Start 8 and use File Explorer via the desktop then Windows 8/8.1 becomes much more comfortable to use in my view.

Yes, you add programs to the Start Screen but the whole thing is garish and ugly in my view, not helped by the fact that you have a mix of apps, some of which open fullscreen and others (usually better featured) which open on the desktop. Microsoft have attempted to improve things with 8.1 by adding the open to close/minimise the fullscreen as with a desktop window, thus getting rid of the ridiculous swipe method, but the interface is still very jarring as there is no consistency between Start screen apps and the desktop ones. For example, why are there two versions of Internet Explorer, one for the Start screen and the other for the desktop?

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

11. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
  12. glitch203

glitch203 Guest

GPU:
    msi hd 6770 1go
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    win8 search is as crap as win7... not better or worse, anyone who have other tool can tell you.

people have to adapt to product? it's a 80' USA concept... we are in XXI century with global economy, product have to adapt to consumer. and btw "modern UI" have only modern in the name as it is a copy/paste of a GUI from 90'...

the idea was nice but how M$ did... wow (main cause of the fuzz).
    btw exept that Win 8.1 is nice...

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    All the heat micrsoft has recieved (and rightly so!) for win 8, could have been avoided, if they had just made a seperate desktop, and tablet / phone OS.

Desktop users want a frigging desktop OS - not a sh1tty tablet OS... shouldnt really be so hard to understand, but Microsoft has made it painfully obvious through the years, that they care less and less about desktop users, and people that game on pc.

15. Nurmi

Nurmi Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    Have no attachments to the folder structure, but I'd like to see these current icons as smaller in similar way, or fullscreen as it is now. Because this sideways hunting from two pages of thumb sized icons is just plain stupid, and I can't sometimes find what I want.

Too big!

Anyways, some years ago I did try having plain exe's on Vista startmenu, but on one beautiful morning the menu was empty.. so can I get this, please? :D

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Even Apple was smart enough to keep their mobile and desktop systems separate. MS wants to unify everything even tho the products are aimed at different users and devices. If MS made bathrooms your bathtub would also be your toilet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    haha! Good one ;)

18. HighT3ch

HighT3ch New Member

Exactly, why would I want a tablet/mobile interface on a desktop computer. I guess they tried to force it down our throats and failed.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am saying that Start Menu is for Windows 9 because MS stated that they were not going to have any new features with the new Windows 8.1 update.

lol. Thats funny.

20. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Just be thankful they don't make toilet roll either - Can you imagine the mess they would make of that :grab:

Gonna have nightmares now :crapper: