How to Mod your own Drivers if you need to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Wolverine69r, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mobile1vidia

mobile1vidia Member

That has already been fixed ages ago, you need to keep up :D

I hope you realise that there is no support in the new drivers for TNT GPU's so adding them to the INF is no good, as they arn't supported in the driver.

ALI based AGP is only needed for the 2 integrated GPU's that must have come with some ALI MB's.
    I doubt there were very many made.

2. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    Well, people have reported that it worked fine for them. Still I don't know how much 3D stuff they tried but it may help for some people. Though if they have a working driver they should probably stick to it.

3. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

no there is no tnt2 support in the inf.. but they still work when it is added to inf.

4. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

Bump^^^^^^^^

5. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    I need to install Forceware drivers on a system that runs Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition (32 Bit). It's an eVGA 6200 video card on an Asus A8n SLI Premium motherboard, AMD A64 X2 4800, 2048MB RAM.

XP/2000 drivers appear to install, but don't function. Will modification of the driver install files "trick" it into working? I can't use the Win 2003 Server 64 bit edition driver, it's not the 64 bit O/S version.

it's not a super big deal if I can't use the driver, but I would like to get a larger monitor and use higher resolution (1900 X 1200), and be able to use MBM5 to monitor the GPU temp, which requires the nVIDIA driver for the plugin to read the temp from the card.

6. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

these modifications don't change the OS'S they can install on, but i know people install XP drivers 2003...

7. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

afaik the xp drivers should work fine on server 2003

8. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    I thought the XP/2000 drivers should work, but it's not working in my case. I got the WHQL 81.98 driver and installed it. The install process completes with no errors.

According to Hardware Manager, the driver is actually being used, but there is no nvidia manager (in the system tray) and the driver is not allowing the MBM plugin to see the GPU temp.

9. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

sounds like an incomplete install

send me the inf for the normal mce drivers.. its possible that they've changed an entry

10. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    Sorry, I'm having a "senior moment". You want me to send you the nvidia display driver .inf files from Windows XP Media Center Edition (c:\Windows\inf)?

11. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

no
    its in c:\nvidia\(winvers)\(driv_vers) the bracketed items being your current windows and driver vesrion numbers

12. clokkevi

clokkevi Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680
    I have never used MCE, but this is how it works on Windows XP

When you install an *.exe (not *.zip) type Nvidia driver, since it is a self-extracting cab file,
    it will first extract all the 50+ files inside to
    C:\NVIDIA\(winvers)\(driv_vers)
    - and one one these files is "nv4_disp.inf"
    After this, it will automatically open "setup.exe" (one of the other files extracted)
    and start the install process by looking at "nv4_disp.inf".
    After the install is over, the "nv4_disp.inf" will have been copied to
    "C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem?.inf" Setup information file
    - together with a 'companion' "oem?.PNF" Precompiled Setup Information file
    - so it can use those if it needs to re-install etc.

Every time you install a device driver, it will copy it's "*.inf" to an "oem?.inf" + "oem?.PNF" pair.
    - and put those in the "C:\WINDOWS\inf\" folder.

Finally, WinRAR is able to extract all the files in a *.exe type Nvidia driver.
    So one may download the MCE 81.98 driver - then right-click it, choose "WinRAR" -> "Open with WinRAR"
    ..and then just drag the "nv4_disp.inf" out and drop it in another folder or on the desktop.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  13. lord_wenk

lord_wenk New Member

my mx4000 is working very bad at dx9 game.... it's graphic doesn't look as the way it should be... help me please...

14. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

can't help you, its an mx4000, it isn't made for Dx9

15. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    OK, C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\81.98\nv4_disp.inf is attached, with the extension .txt appended to permit attachment.

It is from the currently operating Win2003 server system.

16. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

and that driver works in MCE?

its exactly the same as 83.90 and 84.12

hmm

17. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    Well, I have a Media Center Edition distribution but I'm not running it. I have not tried to install the driver under Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE).

I have a system running XP Pro SP2 and am using the 83.90 version driver from here on 2 eVGA 7800GT cards in SLI, and it's working fine. I'm using 83.90 because the 81.90 WHQL driver has issues for IMSI TurboCAD, that the newer driver solves.

My problem involves installing the Nvidia display driver on another system running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (32 bit) that has an eVGA 6200 based card.

18. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

ah, now i remember, sorry lost track of problems for a sec there.

As far as i know. Server 2003 32bit edition can use the same drivers as XP, whats wierd is you can't seem to install them.

do you have any drivers that do work on it that i could look at?

19. DocDrak

DocDrak New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    Unfortunately not.

I have two of the eVGA 6200TC 128MB cards. I use one in a test bed, and the other in the server I have mentioned.

I am unable to install the Nvidia video driver from the driver install CD that came with either card. An error message appears that says "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.".

Since the CD comes with the card, I presume it is complaining that there is no driver for Windows Server 2003 Standard 32 bit edition present on the CD.

One CD is marked eVGA version 53.1, which actually has Nvidia Win2K/XP driver version 77.77 (7.7.7.7) with a date of 07/20/2005. The other CD is marked eVGA version 53.2 and has Nvidia Win2K/XP driver version 81.26 (8.1.2.6) with a date of 08/26/2005.

Attempting to install the driver from either CD gives the error mentioned above. The eVGA site recommends Nvidia driver version 81.98, which I tried and have reported the results of already (driver installs, Hardware Manager says it's using it, but no Nvidia icon in the system tray and unable to read the GPU temperature with MBM5 and the Nvidia plugin).

There is no direct reference on the eVGA download page or the Nvidia download page for a Windows Server 2003 32 bit edition driver.

Since I can get normal operation using Nvidia driver version 81.98 on this same hardware but using Windows XP SP2 for the O/S, this problem seems to be O/S vs driver specific. By "normal operation" I mean that the Nvidia tray icon is there and I can read the GPU temperature with MBM5 and the Nv plugin when Windows XP SP2 is the O/S.

I'll try another email to eVGA support. They did not answer my last email. I'll report back the result.

20. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

hmmm, the driver isn't detecting the hardware,

its not coz of server 2k3

otherwise it would give you a warning that your not using a compatible operation system