Speakers recommendation

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Octopuss, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I don't know what you mean by "proper" but a 5.1 system will give you all the surround sound you need. You can go with a 7.1 but they are pretty big to use for a PC. Most people I talk to with surround on their PC use 5.1...
    It is not 3 less speakers....it is 2...that are used for the rears or sides depending on how you look at it.

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  3. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    This is oceania:
    [​IMG]

I take it geography isn't your strong-suit? :)

4. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Proper as in whether I would "miss something" by not having those 3 speakers 7.1 would.

As for the bass business - my ears are not exactly good, and I can't tell the difference between 128 and 320k mp3, so because of that I might not need to worry about that?

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, ok, Asia.

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Well, I haven't heard the Swan X6 but I think I'll prefer the linear smoothness of the AMT tweeters in the Airmotivs over the harsh / piercing / grating characteristics typically associated with metal dome tweeters. ^

7. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Heh, all the posts here confused the hell out of me.
    I better not ask any more questions, because I'd look like an idiot (I seriously don't know anything about audio stuff).
    Guess I just should take my money, go to nearest computer store, and say "give me a 7.1 sound system for gaming".

8. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, you said you wanted a 2.0 setup, what's confusing? We recommended a number of 2.0 setups.

I will show you a 7.1 setup if you want that's much better than any computer shop setup :)

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S940...p_3025451_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1362990434&sr=1-15

9. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yea I know, but I also had the gaming part in mind and it gradually grew up in my head :p

It's a tough choice especially if you have no idea about this sort of stuff. I mean I don't even understand what's the difference between powered speakers and passive ones with an amplifier - it all sounds/looks the same to me. Told you, I am a hopeless newb.

10. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ok, few things :

active/powered speakers have a built in limited amplifier, usually not many inputs/sources that can be plugged into it. Passive speakers are imo the best cos they are so versitile. Hook up almost any Amp/Receiver and you've got copious amounts of inputs that can be plugged into it. So, to summarize, powered/built in AMP. Passive, needs to be plugged into an amplifier.

Hope this helps,
    RagDoll.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Ah so it's about versatility. Thanks.
    I wouldn't have any problem with buying individual components and sort of building something myself. It's just a bit hard to get through the basics though. I am deeply lost in all the jargon.

The set you linked looks pretty cool. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any way in hell to get that in Europe :p

12. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Oh, in that case, there is a uk amazon :

This 5.1 system would be very good indeed :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HT-S4505-Ch...?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1362993324&sr=1-1

cheers,
    RagDoll.

13. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Cheers.
    Now that I think about it, if I could find the right components which I could mix and match over time, $1000 for everything seems very doable as well. I wouldn't even need a receiver, normal amplifier would do. I don't need any extra features.

14. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yes, well you could start with 2 bookshelf speakers, a sub and a receiver/amplifier. Then you could add a center and 2 rears later on :)

To start you off :

Get a receiver :

You're in luck because this one has multi channel analog inputs, so you're gonna get awesome sound :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-VSX...s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1363011598&sr=1-17

This one has it aswell and is amazon uk :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't be so hard on yourself. We all had to learn these subjects and it takes lots of time, research and questions. If you have a question, just ask.
    That's what we are here for, to discuss audio and answer questions if we can.

Actually, going to a computer store with your money and asking for a 7.1 system for gaming is probably one of the worst things you can do.:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I will not argue or address what's already been posted. I will tell you what I have and what they do.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified speakers ($185 US on average)

They are perfect for a computer desktop arrangement. The subwoofer is around 14" square on the floor. With a good soundcard, these speakers will shake the walls in your house or apartment without any distortion of bass and are crystal clear on all levels. They easily rival many home theater 5.1 or 7.1 systems that cost much more. I've been gaming for 30 years and I would never buy anything else...there's just no point.

No brag...just fact.

17. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think so, too, but I was having a moment of "you're a hopeless idiot" desperation :D

I think I made up my mind. Surround with good front speakers because of music/movies. Just not sure whether 5.1 or 7.1. Probably 5.1, because wires going even to the sides would kill me.

Btw. What's the deal with digital/analog stuff? By the sound of it, I would assume digital is superior and way to go, but apparently there's much more to it I don't see.

18. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Multi Channel Analog is better, unless you have a Receiver that costs a few thousand dollars... There are threads discussing it all too :)

cheers,
    RagDoll.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just go for 5.1...I don't actually know anybody that uses 7.1 with a PC.
    There is a sticky at the top about if digital is the right way to go...it should help explain the situation.

20. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Oh I completely missed that thread somehow. Ugh...

How about the idea of buying the components individually? I noticed the computer store I usually buy at has TONS of Onkyo (which after some brief googling seems like a decent brand) products, so perhaps I could mix and match a bit?