games wont play

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by iowabucks, Aug 10, 2007.

1. iowabucks

iowabucks Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260
    Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but i figured a bunch of harcore gamers would be able to help me out.

I recently upgraded my graphics card from an ATI 9800, to an X850 AGP. I uninstalled/reinstalled new drivers and now some games work, some don't. CoD2 and B2 do work. But MOHAA, CoD, and CodUO don't work. The games alway crash when they begin.

I had contact with Activision tech many times without resolving the issue. He did say that

"COD 2 uses the D3D API for graphics. COD 1, UO and MOHAA all use the Open GL API for graphics".

Does this sound like an issue with the driver i have installed? Or could there possibly be something i could change with the settings? Maybe i will have to try a different version of the GPU driver and see what that does.

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    is that a VIVO x850 pro AGP Card? sorry this is of topic but if it is you can unlock the extra pipelines to effectively make it an XT and give you a 25% performance boost

Id say its a driver problem, to uninstall a driver fully you need to uninstall it, reboot in safe mode, delete the ati.... files in system32, run reg clean once, then again( making sure it doesnt fix anything the second time ) then reboot and install the new driver

Also make sure you disable fastwrites( it causes more problems than its worth )

Could also be a heating issue, download ATI tool and run the 3d spinny cube for 30 minutes and post your temps

3. Me Rock

Me Rock Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Sounds like a driver issue to me...Did you completely uninstall your old drivers? Do you have the latest/correct drivers for your new card?

I once knew a person who had been using his AGP X1600 for about a year and didn't know what in the world a driver was. He had to run all of his games in safemode. He literally thought I was a god when I set him up correctly.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Dude, you are, lol, i have a statue of you here

5. iowabucks

iowabucks Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260
    So far, i have only tried the Catalyst 7.7 drivers. When i uninstalled the drivers i kept getting the error "cannnot find appropriate ATI hardware". So i could still find some of it in add/remove programs even when finished. I wasn't sure how to get rid of it all.

Yes, it is a Vivo card. I plan on fashing to XT and unlocking the extra 4 pipelines and oc'ing the board as soon as i get this all straightened out. Right now, all that stuff is still way over my head. I have been trying to read up on it but if anyone has a link to some recommended reading, i would love to see it.

I have got ATITools and looks like i can oc from there. Also need to wait on some better cooling.

As far as the "cannot find appropriate ATI hardware error", should i have uninstalled the old hardware with the old board installed?

Also, i have read a couple different versions of how to uninstall, and getting into the reg files is over my head too. How do you disable fastwrites?

Heating is not an issue, i have run rthdrbl for an hour with temps reaching 65.

Sorry for a the questions, just trying to get a hold on this problem. It sucks when you can't play your favorite games.

6. iowabucks

iowabucks Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260
    Sorry to ask another question, but here goes.

What is the best way to uninstall the driver? When i go to add/remove programs, all the ATI programs give me an "apprpriate hardware device not found". I got rid of the ATI drivers program, but the ATI DVD Decoder and ATI Multimedia center still give me errors and wont dissapear from the list. I go to my game and it still plays. Driver must still be in there somehow.

It seems like i can't uninstall anything untill i figure out what this error means.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    for uninstall drivers read the ati guide @ http://www.tweakguides.com - the install part has the uninstall info

if you flash that card to XT it will raise the temps by aound 9C from my own experience. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/100

Dont forget to backup your current bios beforehand, its handy enough t ONLY do it in dos, never EVER flash bioses in windows( it will work in windows but not worth the risk )

Only install the ATI drivers, instead of using catalyst use ATI Tray Tools, its absolutely brilliant

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  8. iowabucks

iowabucks Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260
    The newest driver was the issue. I installed an older version and it now works. THX everybody for your help and good info.

The only thing i can't figure out now is why after reboots, i always get the found new hardware balloon. I just close it out, but why would it do that?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007