Core i7 3770K & 3750 review with Z77 DZ77GA-70K mobo [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 23, 2012.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    He's going by the PDF that they got from Intel, as he shipped the 3570k back to Intel already, and according to other sources and Intel's own website the information is misleading.

also,

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/IvyBridge/review/lineup-desktop.jpg

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It was a misprint in the provided Intel PDF, it's 4/4. This has been updated in the content.

[​IMG]

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Given the problems with overclocking other people have seen with these processors (due to heat concerns) I'm a little disappointed this review really mentioned nothing at all about temperatures.

At 1.4v, on stock cooling, your overclock results...

Anandtech has the same processor tested with the Intel Liquid Cooling solution (I'm not sure if that's what you used here?) but they've posted up numbers showing 90C at 1.25v/4.5ghz. Other websites show similar results. Your's does also, interestingly:

In 3dmark11 the scores are almost identical despite an extra Ghz.

I think your processor here is severely throttling.

There's no way that that chip is at 1.4v and a real 4.9Ghz. Everywhere else is saying to expect no more than 4.6ghz on air.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Thanks, HH. Sorry about the confusion.

5. bobodori

bobodori Member

GPU:
    R4850 512mb
    Damn Intel. :smack: I believed for 15min that its with 8 threads.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    thx alot Hilbert Hagedoorn

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm waiting for Haswell, the old lion still has some bite left it in.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You are somehow assuming we used stock cooling ?, the article does't say that. It however does say we are using Noctua (D12) cooling which is a heavy duty heatpipe cooler with two fans. The mobo is at 1.4 Volts my man.

I did notice a lot of heat differences amongst different brand motherboards though. With our engineering sample we reach 4.8 to 5.0 GHz on all mobo's.

Regardless, cooling will be an important factor for overclocking with IB.

9. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    You missed this part

"IB Core i5 and i7 based processors will have four physical (execution) CPU cores each capable of one hyper-thread (making 4 physical cores and 8 logical cores hyper-threaded)......
    All models will come with the enw revision Turbo mode though but only the Core i5/i7 series will be capable of handling two independent software threads per core, hyper-threading."

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Hilbert did you ever make a chart with clock for clock comparisons between CPUs? We can make rough calculations for ourselves to see what the % increase each generation is but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in seeing a neat little chart.

I'd like to see a chart comparing IB to BD clock for clock...

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Found it, thanks.

12. bobodori

bobodori Member

GPU:
    R4850 512mb
    Looks like others also got the pdf with the misprint.
    [​IMG]

13. anf

anf Guest

GPU:
    650 ti boost 1 gb evga
    great review

great review ...... I have a 2700k but am thinking of building another computer
    I just have one question can i go with an i3 for basic computing , music , internet for my bedroom..............:biggun:

14. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    i3 is perfect for those reasons

15. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Hello Hilbert, thanks for the wonderful review, there is always something to learn from this... :nerd:
    When I have some money I decided to build a new PC with one of these processors (if the economic crisis allows :bang:...) LOL

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Though I do see a bit above it, you mention a "Notcua heat-pipe cooler"

17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    So much for Intel engineering. The i7 3770k is a joke. A 2600k/2700k will kick is ass in OC and gaming at lower temperature. Seems like i have to go to 2700k.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I do believe this is an engineering sample. The actual production silicon might be a good deal cooler.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Going by the review... the i7-3770K definitely isn't worth the almost 50 percent price premium! not for a zero (in some benchmarks of the review) to what? 5 percent best case scenario performance increase :crapper:

The default clock of the i5-3570K is lower anyway, so clock-for-clock, the i5-3570K would be practically identical in performance to the i7-3770K in almost all tests. Strangely enough, even the multithreaded tests that do support 8 threads for the i7-3770K didn't show much difference.

That extra money is better put towards better other components of the system.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  20. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    might? they wouldn't send out bad chips to reviewers :p it's intel, they could afford sending out 100s of the real chips for better internet image, it's just how ivy is

great for stock/mild OC, questionable/bad for high OC. you really need water for it, and even then... SB seems just like the better option honestly

edit: if Ivy makes the price on SB drop, SB will be a complete steal and a solid platform to upgrade to for whoever is looking to make the move. Ivy will still sell to the average rich person that doesn't want to fiddle with overclocks and perform good for the money, just not worth it for the enthusiast tbh

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012