Updates From Guru3D Folders

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Svein_Skogen, Aug 14, 2010.

1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Have you tried the latest Public Beta, V7.4.4? Perform a fresh installation and it should function properly by correctly detecting the GPUs.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With the freaky weather we've got here, I can't fold a lot so if I have to fix every run it's not a big deal. I do miss the PPD of the 7950 though.

3. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Sorry to hear about your weather issues.

If you want total control over FAHClient, what you can do it with a fresh installation (V7.4.4 which is in Open Public Beta), choose custom installation and select the option to start FAHClient manually (Expert). Once the installation is done, you can temporarily disconnect from the internet and edit the shortcut on the desktop to remove the "--open-web-control" flag. Double click the icon and when you see the F@H icon in the notification tray, right-click it to open up Advanced Control (AKA FAHControl) and it should correctly detect the hardware and create the appropriate slots. Configure your details and add the option to each of the Slots or in the expert tab (it effects all Slots):
    Name: pause-on-start
    Value: true

Now, you can start FAHClient whenever you want and also choose which slots you want to fold since they all will not automatically start folding. This way, you don't have to constantly reconfigure and have total control over your slots.

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    well that didn't go well have been changing cases so that everythink will fit inside ( this is the i7 970 WC rig) let just say after putting it all back together leak test and yes def had a leak looks like my water block is fXXX so that rig will be down for a while and it my server/ file server aswell down time was only ment to be half a day:bang::bang:

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    that sucks man. Hope you get it fixed soon.

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that iancook221188.

I know exactly how you feel since I recently took a system down for cleaning which would have taken about 30 minutes. However, that took about 2.5 days since it just wouldn't boot-up and had to replace the entire system since the PSU damaged the motherboard and HDD. Luckily, the data was stored on the other HDD so nothing vital was lost.

Hope to see you up and folding soon :)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ok, so, since I missed the PPD from the HD7950 it got reinstalled. It's been running for about 22hrs now. Looks like another 9hrs before it turns in it's first WU that I'm aware of....lol

What in the world happened with the Core 17 work units? I used to complete 2-4 WUs a day. The initial completion estimate for the first WU was 10.9 DAYS..... Not used to seeing estimates that high.

8. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Assuming that you are using V7.4.4, what happens is when a WU from a "new Project" (in this case, it means that your system never folded the WU from that Project before), the Client will use the "worst case TPF" (longest time to finish the WU by using the deadline) to display the data since it doesn't have any historical data to reference to. Once few percentages are completed (IIRC, between 1% to 5%), the actual data is used which gives a much better estimate.

Once reason to use this logic was that previously, the estimates were completely off and in some cases, it wouldn't display data until a certain percentage was reached. This caused issues with the donors who thought that the system wasn't folding or they installed incorrectly, etc. Thus, the new approach would be better in some cases. I believe that it can be tweaked a little bit more (https://fah.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/ticket/1129).

Since you have an AMD GPU, I would recommend that you update to WHQL 14.4 Drivers for optimum performance (https://folding.stanford.edu/home/new-amd-gpu-driver-improves-performance/). Hopefully, that might shave a few seconds off your TPF.

As folding progresses, larger proteins are being studied which means longer completion times. Of course, the high-end GPUs take significantly less time than low-end ones or some medium range ones. The current FahCore_17 Projects are mostly suited for high-end GPUs. PG is aware of this and I did request smaller Projects for low/mid-range GPUs or even part-time GPUs. Hopefully, this can be addressed in the future.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Couple weeks and I'll start churning out points again. Getting ready to do a new build (hopefully next weekend) to replace my "gaming rig" as my primary system. The "rig" in my specs will be clocked a bit closer to stock so I can reduce voltage (and temps) and it will be set off to fold until it dies. New build won't be folding at all as it'll be a budget build based on an Athlon 5350. Actually pretty excited about it.

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Best of luck for your build :)

You could always run the Chrome Folding App every now and then on the Athlon 5350 to ensure that it doesn't get lazy :p

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My "folding rig" has been putting out around 100K PPD (+/-10%) for the last couple months consistantly. Unfortunately, I'll have to take it offline soon as it appears to have a fan starting to fail. I'm unsure at this point which of it's 8 fans could be failing but the noise has been getting progressively worse. If it's a case fan it'll be a relatively quick fix but if it's a GPU or CPU cooler fan, it'll likely to be down for the count as we've entered the [painfully] slow season at work and I have no spare funds to make repairs at this time.

Update: After inspection, it appears my "folding rig" will in fact be retiring... The noise is the pump for my watercooler.

The Athlon 5350 has turned out a couple thousand points since it came online in July. It actually fairs pretty well running the Chrome folding app and can manage around 5-6 WU's an hour since they're very small and only take 10-12 minutes a piece. Each WU is just over 100pts if memory serves.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    when the core_17 WU's were first released they were smaller hence took shorter time to complete now that it's full on the WU's have gained in size considerably and now take alot longer to complete I too went from 2 a day down to one evey 24hrs or so but the good news is you get bonus points for early completion so it works itself out in the end :)

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Still made it to 20M. System wouldn't let me change the CPU clock speed, so I didn't have a choice but to run the 7950 to 20M and stop. Thanks to chispy, I got the CPU watercooled still. He was selling a few watercooling kits back in October, which I managed to get one of. In a few months, I'll throw the 7950 back in (as it's been replaced by the 660SLI for the time being) and set it off folding for another 10M or so. Once I get around to building my new "gaming rig" sometime in the next 12-24 months, the "rig" in my specs will become a permanent folding system (with the 7950 instead of the 660SLI). The Athlon 5350 system will be going to my son at that point running Fedora's educational build until he gets a bit older. Then he'll get either Windows or OpenSuSE.

14. ariskar

ariskar Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    New PC to the cause

New PC to the cause, added a 5960x and a Palit GTX 980 Super Jetstream to the cause.

Around 390,000 PPD today, around 10% of G3D team for the day :pc1:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nicely done. Any way you can tell me the estimated PPD of the 980 alone?

16. ariskar

ariskar Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    The 980 gives 305k - 320k in stock (factory OC)
    Code:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-gtx-980-super-jetstream-review,1.html
    And 325k - 340k in OC (1.5GHz boost)

the 5960x gives 55k - 60k PPD @ 3.5Ghz (all 8 cores)

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Thank you.

18. iancook221188

GPU:
    haha keep up:)

19. ariskar

ariskar Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    Thanks. It's my bedroom desktop. The room heater is replaced till summer. Will be running with a 75-80% uptime (except gaming/other use sessions) at stock clocks, except 5960x locking boost (3.5 on all cores).

Do you recommend keeping F@H client advanced switch on (beta WU's etc) for max PPD or removing it?

20. iancook221188

GPU:
    comes down to do you want to baby sit it every now and then, depends on witch is giving more at the time i don't tend to swap it much i think some of my client's are on beta and some on advanced