Fold Faster on GPUs With FahCore_17

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by PantherX, May 6, 2013.

1. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh, the links to the Beta Forum require you to be a member. It costs $0.00 to get an account of your choice (unless it is taken) for a lifetime (unless data corruption occurs) so you may want to use that offer while it lasts (which might be for many years to come) ;)

If those dips are on a GTX 660, they are very different from the ones that I have on GTX 650 and GTX 660 Ti. Are you using the latest version of FahCore_17? The old version is 44 and the new version is 45. To check the version of FahCore_17, navigate to to the FahCore_17 directory and run this command -> FahCore_17.exe --info
    Code:
    D:\[FAH]\cores\www.stanford.edu\~pande\Win32\AMD64\NVIDIA\Fermi\beta\Core_17.fah
    >FahCore_17.exe --info

O              O
       P R O T E N E E R     C--N              \              \               N
                             |                  C              C=O           / \-C
                             C                 /               |          N-C     \
      .C-C                 C/                  C               C           |      C
     /    \          O     |                   |               /           N      |
    C     C          |     |           O       C              C                 /-C
     \_N_/ \   N    _C_    C           |      /         O    /                 C
            C-/ \_C/   \N-/ \    N   /-C-\   C          |    |           O    /
            |     |           C-/ \C/     N-/ \_   N\  /C\  -C      N    |    |
            O     |           |    |            \C/  C/   N/  \_C__/ \   C-\  C
                  C           O    |             |   |          |     C-/   N/ \-C
                   \_C             C             O   |          O     |          |
                      \             \-O              C                C          O
                      |                               \                \
                      C    N         Folding@Home      C--N             C
                       \   |            ZCore          |                |
                        N--C                           O                |
                            \        Yutong Zhao                       C=O
                             N    proteneer@gmail.com                 /
                                                                     O
    **************************** Zeta Folding@home Core ****************************

Type: 23
           Core: Zeta
      Copyright: (c) 2009-2013 Stanford University
         Author: Yutong Zhao <yutong.zhao@stanford.edu>
           Args: --info
    ************************************ Build *************************************

Version: 0.0.45
           Date: May 16 2013
           Time: 17:51:49
        SVN Rev: 3983
         Branch: fah/trunk/cores/gpu/fahcore
       Compiler: Visual C++ 2008
        Options: $( /TP $) /nologo /EHa /wd4297 /wd4103 /Ox -arch:SSE /MT
                 -mms-bitfields
       Platform: win32 7
           Bits: 32
           Mode: Release
    ************************************ System ************************************

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80GHz
         CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
           CPUs: 8
         Memory: 15.89GiB
    Free Memory: 10.55GiB
        Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
    Has Battery: true
     On Battery: false
     UTC offset: 3
            PID: 5584
            CWD: D:\[FAH]\cores\www.stanford.edu\~pande\Win32\AMD64\NVIDIA\Fermi\bet
    a\Core_17.fah
        OS Arch: AMD64
           GPUs: 1
          GPU 0: NVIDIA:2 GF114 [GeForce GTX 675M]
           CUDA: Not detected
    ********************************************************************************

D:\[FAH]\cores\www.stanford.edu\~pande\Win32\AMD64\NVIDIA\Fermi\beta\Core_17.fah
    >
    Do note that upgrading FahCore_17 during mid-WU can be problematic so I would suggest that once you finish the WU, you can than upgrade it. I think you might have to delete the older version since forced upgrade isn't available for -beta flag.

2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup, version 44. My guess is, I'll get around to upgrading eventually. One of my projects is always 1/2 ahead of the other so finding that sweet spot to change is a bit goofy.
    What would you say the benefit of upgrading versions might be?
    [​IMG]

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, this is not 1). 2) might happen, not aware, yeah it's pretty normal.

Yes, I see this dip frequently. Happens only with F@H (I think only with Core17, I'll check). If you like, I can determine how frequently this occurs by looking at the log.

EDIT: I have version 44. Will upgrade when this WU finishes. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The changes from version 44 to version 45 isn't that profound:
    <proteneer> not much on the performance side
    <proteneer> its just a minor patch to make checkpointing more robust

However, it is still important to make sure that everything is working fine before it is released to the public.

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    @yasamoka & PantherX

On the 19th, yasamoka alertly mentioned that I should be using the beta flag. Since then, both of ya'lls help has been appreciated - thought you might see what has become of it. Nothing huge, mind you, but check the date - the 19th and beyond. Thank you very much guys ;).

[​IMG]

6. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    that quite a jump there

7. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Glad to hear that, must_kill_ati!

8. iancook221188

GPU:
    im getting an extra 5k from the new 8900 work unit pretty good

9. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think I'm on the losing end of project 8900. 12 hours/project and it's bringing my card to it's knees - highest temps I've ever seen on it by 5c.

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    On my system, GTX 660 Ti gets about 10K extra and takes just over 9 hours, GTX 650 is slightly higher and takes 1 day while GTX 675M is slightly less with just over a day. I am kinda surprised that your GTX 660 is not getting a higher PPD.

11. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't know that I'm losing ppd, it just feels like the pc is working so hard for it compared to the other projects. No real science to back it up, just a feeling from knowing my baby, erm... pc. The second gpu is just all over the place - it didn't act like that when both were doing project 7663. She's alive and runnin', just sweating while she's doin it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I think that you PPD might have a slight increase, you can check it with your P7663 data.

I haven't seen that kind of GPU Usage before. Have you restarted the Client and the system? What happens if you leave it without any applications running for a few minutes, do the graph change or not?

13. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I did actually restart the client and the pc with a cold boot. When slot one finished and took on the new project, it held at 0% forever with a message saying something along the lines of client upgrading or similar.. can't rmbr now.

It's a bit less pronounced (the graph) with a few less valleys and peaks, but it's similar to the one pictured (when the pc is left alone). At this point, I'm pretty much done tweaking on it as I'm satisfied with the ppd.
    Maybe if I stop shaking the pc like a dirty etch-a-sketch the graph wouldn't be so bumpy? :3eyes:

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Don't shake your system when it's folding. The proteins come out weird.

15. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay, I do hope that you are using FahCore_17 version 0.0.45. If not. Set your slots to finish and once both are done, delete the FahCore_17 from the folder and let it download a new one. Remember to fold only one slot first so it gets the FahCore_17 and once it finish downloading, you can fold the second one.

I find that there is a sweet spot for shaking, if you don't shake, nothing exciting happens and if you shake too much, everything falls apart :p

16. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    [​IMG]

here's shot of the 8900WU on my HD7850 @ 950/1300MHz

this thing is a wicked points monster for us GPU folders

17. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    [​IMG]

Not to turn this into a screenshot thread...but wow guys. I had somehow missed out on this news and finally jumped on it last night, and production is waaaay up.

I have to go try this on the 7850 folding machine next!

18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    That's awesome! Glad that you are now folding :) Looks like you can soon be in the top 3 with that PPD!

19. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Hah, I THOUGHT I had been folding, but that 0x17 makes such a difference! Unfortunately, my dedicated 24/7 folding rig (HD 7850) isn't showing the same performance as Athlonite's. I'll have to keep an eye on fluctuations with other WU's.

I did want to make it as clear as possible to anyone like me who missed out on the FahCore 17 news....add that beta flag, because it's a massive difference...

20. iancook221188

GPU: